• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

City's attempt to cut Texas man's grass leads to a standoff, a fire and his death, police say

No HOA's here, but the town I live in will still fine you after several notices if your grass is out of control. They have a rat problem here, and there are many complaints I see online to the town about seeing rats running in and out of unkept yards. Some are complaints of excess trash/garbage/etc for the same reason, but many are for overgrown yards. I don't remember ever hearing of them cutting someone lawn or cleaning up someone's property, but they have issues fines.

That's a town I would not live in. I can understand enforcement for not getting rid of rubbish but for not mowing your lawn is ridiculous.

he may have gotten shot (with a 9mm, blowing out his lungs...), and hit his head when he hit the floor. Cause of death : brain trauma, not the gunshot
I didn't kill him, I just poisoned his food. If he hadn't eaten it the poison wouldn't have killed him.
Same idea - proximal cause of death is the state action.
However, they (likely) wouldn't have shot him if he reacted rationally.

... the resident started shooting from inside the house, Chacon said.

"And they immediately backed off. They got all of the staff that was working on the house to safety ...
Old and Busted: You can always take one with you.
The New Hotness: You can always take one with you if you aim at them.

No HOA's here, but the town I live in will still fine you after several notices if your grass is out of control. They have a rat problem here, and there are many complaints I see online to the town about seeing rats running in and out of unkept yards. Some are complaints of excess trash/garbage/etc for the same reason, but many are for overgrown yards. I don't remember ever hearing of them cutting someone lawn or cleaning up someone's property, but they have issues fines.
Rats growing in uncut lawns ranks right up there
in the Annals of Parthenogenesis with mice growing
in boxes of rags in the basement.

Uh oh...
ill-cut-it-with-the-scissors.jpg

Of course houses with ratholes in exterior walls are very attractive to rats...

Apprently you dont get to see the full terms until after you put out the good faith deposit.
When we finally found a house we were interested in (granted, in 1986),
we told them we wanted to see the (non-gated) neighborhood association papers.

We saw them, and the subdivision plans, before they saw our $1K binder check.

The only common land is ~21 acres of tick-infested woodlands,
18+ of which is under conservation easement. For the ticks.
Which I know because I just re-read the plans online.
Time to get out Killdozer Killmower
FTFY.

HOA's are a commie idea to control the way you live,when I was looking for a house in Florida
all they were trying to sell me were in those HOA. places.The only problem I have is the City I
live in is anal about the grass,and tree's if you don't keep it clean they will fine you.
Hoa's have nothing to do with it. Most towns have ordinances governing unkept lawns. When they turn into a mess of weeds they just become breeding areas for insects.

HOA's are a commie idea to control the way you live,when I was looking for a house in Florida
all they were trying to sell me were in those HOA. places.The only problem I have is the City I
live in is anal about the grass,and tree's if you don't keep it clean they will fine you.
I would never live under a HOA, but I think they are a great idea. The concept is that you are moving into a known commodity by reading the rules of the HOA. If you agree with what the rules state, you can also be assured that your neighbors will behave a certain way. It kind of eliminates the problem of white trash, ghetto neighbors.

I really have zero sympathy for the old veteran that can’t hang his POW flag or the guy using his twisted ankle as an excuse not to mow his lawn. Take down your flag, hire a kid to mow your lawn and STFU or move.

I’m more independent myself and would rather sleep in a tent than have some Karen measuring my lawn with a micrometer to see if she can flex on me.

He signed a contract, which is what a HOA agreement is. If he had done what he agreed to do when he signed nothing would have happened.

I don't like HOAs, but if I end up living in an area with one I don't plan on signing then ignoring it.

If they left him alone he wouldn’t have been shooting at people

I would never live under a HOA, but I think they are a great idea. The concept is that you are moving into a known commodity by reading the rules of the HOA. If you agree with what the rules state, you can also be assured that your neighbors will behave a certain way. It kind of eliminates the problem of white trash, ghetto neighbors.

I really have zero sympathy for the old veteran that can’t hang his POW flag or the guy using his twisted ankle as an excuse not to mow his lawn. Take down your flag, hire a kid to mow your lawn and STFU or move.

I’m more independent myself and would rather sleep in a tent than have some Karen measuring my lawn with a micrometer to see if she can flex on me.
Yeah, I turned down buying a home in a neighborhood many years back because it had an HOA. The killer was that my little daughter would not be able to use her beloved mini-micro ATV anywhere on the property. If I recall correctly, there was a motorcycle ownership restriction as well. I was between motorcycles at the time, but that was yet another negative factor.

Back
Top Bottom