City's attempt to cut Texas man's grass leads to a standoff, a fire and his death, police say

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
The warrant was left at the door and contractors for the city's code enforcement began working on the lawn. About an hour later, the resident started shooting from inside the house, Chacon said.

"And they immediately backed off. They got all of the staff that was working on the house to safety and and a SWAT call was initiated for a barricaded subject," he said.

SWAT, mental health officers and a crisis negotiator arrived on scene, but could not get the man out of the home, leading to the lockdown of a nearby elementary school and the closure of several streets.

"SWAT spent the next several hours trying to negotiate with the individual to just simply come out of the house," Chacon said.

The warrant was left at the door and contractors for the city's code enforcement began working on the lawn. About an hour later, the resident started shooting from inside the house, Chacon said.

"And they immediately backed off. They got all of the staff that was working on the house to safety and and a SWAT call was initiated for a barricaded subject," he said.

SWAT, mental health officers and a crisis negotiator arrived on scene, but could not get the man out of the home, leading to the lockdown of a nearby elementary school and the closure of several streets.

"SWAT spent the next several hours trying to negotiate with the individual to just simply come out of the house," Chacon said.

The Rest Of The Story:
Their main goal Wednesday was to get the man in compliance with the local homeowners association.

Maybe people need to stop taking lawns so serious. Or stop worrying about other peoples lawns and properties.

“BuT It BRinGS DoWN PropERTy VaLUes!”

STFU Nance.

I let mine grow out once and just mowed to perimeter to frame it out. My mailbox was stuffed with cutter flyers and business cards that year.

/rant

HOA's are a commie idea to control the way you live,when I was looking for a house in Florida
all they were trying to sell me were in those HOA. places.The only problem I have is the City I
live in is anal about the grass,and tree's if you don't keep it clean they will fine you.

"Their main goal Wednesday was to get the man in compliance with the local homeowners association."

I was getting really scared about the part of my property that I don't regularly mow... until I read it was an HOA issue. [slap]

HOA's are a commie idea to control the way you live,when I was looking for a house in Florida
all they were trying to sell me were in those HOA. places.The only problem I have is the City I
live in is anal about the grass,and tree's if you don't keep it clean they will fine you.

Anal grass?? Maybe try manscaping???

I'd have let them cut the grass, then wiped my ass with the bill if they sent one, then moved out of the area.
Smart landscapers add some free perennial shrubs to the customer's property.

HOAs are communism. Anyone supporting them shouod be shot.

Except they are set up to set some standards for a neighborhood. And if run properly, are perfectly fine. You run into problems when you assume that all parties will be rational. Like this guy with his crazy grass. Or overzealous HOA officers (think Condo assn board members here - not Mensa candidates). Or Austin City Poe-lease.

Apples and Oranges.

Or a Rhododendron. Whatever it takes.

There's a house on my street that looks abandoned. No idea what the story is but the grass is waist high. The neighborhood Karen, who can never mind her own business, has tried calling the cops about it apparently. Needless to say I'm not her biggest fan.

Back
Top Bottom