City's attempt to cut Texas man's grass leads to a standoff, a fire and his death, police say

Or shitter
Insufficient time for deep thought. I'm not a bathroom dweller, I get in, do my thing, wipe my ass, wash my hands and get out.

On the tractor, that's usually a couple of hours at a clip.....sometimes requiring taking a sammich and a drink or two. [laugh]

No HOA's here, but the town I live in will still fine you after several notices if your grass is out of control. They have a rat problem here, and there are many complaints I see online to the town about seeing rats running in and out of unkept yards. Some are complaints of excess trash/garbage/etc for the same reason, but many are for overgrown yards. I don't remember ever hearing of them cutting someone lawn or cleaning up someone's property, but they have issues fines.

Except they are set up to set some standards for a neighborhood. And if run properly, are perfectly fine. You run into problems when you assume that all parties will be rational. Like this guy with his crazy grass. Or overzealous HOA officers (think Condo assn board members here - not Mensa candidates). Or Austin City Poe-lease.

Or a Rhododendron. Whatever it takes.

HOAs are just another form of government. Why anyone would ever think 1) more government is a good idea or 2) Government will definitely be run by the best, most moral leaders is f***ing beyond me.

HOAs are local communism. They will with 100% certainty inevitably be run by actual dem communists who will use their laws to control who you are

Insufficient time for deep thought. I'm not a bathroom dweller, I get in, do my thing, wipe my ass, wash my hands and get out.

On the tractor, that's usually a couple of hours at a clip.....sometimes requiring taking a sammich and a drink or two. [laugh]
It depends on the turd

HOAs are just another form of government. Why anyone would ever think 1) more government is a good idea or 2) Government will definitely be run by the best, most moral leaders is f***ing beyond me.

HOAs are local communism. They will with 100% certainty inevitably be run by actual dem communists who will use their laws to control who you are

hoa-president-damn-it-feels-good-to-be-a-gangsta.jpg

The warrant was left at the door and contractors for the city's code enforcement began working on the lawn. About an hour later, the resident started shooting from inside the house, Chacon said.

"And they immediately backed off. They got all of the staff that was working on the house to safety and and a SWAT call was initiated for a barricaded subject," he said.

SWAT, mental health officers and a crisis negotiator arrived on scene, but could not get the man out of the home, leading to the lockdown of a nearby elementary school and the closure of several streets.

"SWAT spent the next several hours trying to negotiate with the individual to just simply come out of the house," Chacon said.

and if an another mothef#cker will dare to reject cutting his grass - we will kill that another one too!
as everybody must cut their damn grass, or else.

The guy just wanted to be left alone
The thing is, unless you grandfather the HOA, you KNOW what you are getting into. I'm in a HOA, kinda glad as a hoarder lives one street over and just outside the HOA. To the person who says property values aren't important, take a walk dude, I wouldn't even look at a house if it was next door to the hoarder, neither would anyone else who wasn't a hoarder as well.

HOA's are a commie idea to control the way you live,when I was looking for a house in Florida
all they were trying to sell me were in those HOA. places.The only problem I have is the City I
live in is anal about the grass,and tree's if you don't keep it clean they will fine you.
Show us on the doll where the special master (office) touched you...

Counter point: Wouldn’t he have had to agree to the HOA terms before buying/moving in?
Apprently you dont get to see the full terms until after you put out the good faith deposit.

After I looked at a townhouse that needed a new roof (water damage was noticeable and the roof 30 yrs old) and saw the HOA didn't cover it, I couldn't leave that open house fast enough.

The only good part that didn't make it a waste is I saw a Toyota Townace parked nearby and ogled it like Demi Moore in Striptease.

Yes, I think most of the journalists today are.

Remember when everyone wanted to be a journalist after Watergate? 50 years later and it’s a cesspool.

No doubt. My point is in theory they work. Once the humans get ahold of it it’s a shit show. Lol

I had a client get in trouble because she planted flowers in front of her condo. Did the board have an issue? Nope. Made the place look nice. Another resident didn’t like her front looking better than the complainers. I know the complainer too. She’s a bitch.

Netflix sued after show with Needham plot​

'Dirty Money' episode leads to defamation lawsuit​

A lawyer who represented a Needham man featured in an episode of the Netflix investigative series “Dirty Money” is suing the online streaming service and nine other defendants in a defamation lawsuit filed in Middlesex District Court last month.

Released in late March, the episode features interviews with John Savanovich, an elderly former Needham resident who alleges the local attorneys he hired in 2015 used the conservatorship system in Massachusetts to steward the sale of six run-down properties he owned near the town’s border with Newton. Episode 9 of the second season is titled "Guardians, Inc." and the description on Netflix says, "The rampant abuse of laws meant to protect the elderly has left many seniors penniless, powerless and isolated from their families."

On Aug. 18, lawyers representing Nicholas Louisa, one of the attorneys Savanovich hired, filed a 38-page complaint claiming the episode defamed Louisa's reputation by presenting a false narrative that left out key circumstances related to the real estate transactions and legal proceedings highlighted in the Netflix documentary.

Along with the charge of defamation, Louisa's complaint says the release of the Netflix episode in March constituted intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

The suit claims that, as a result of the episode, Louisa has been targeted with threats and harassment.

Louisa lawsuit presents different narrative

The narrative presented by Netflix features a seemingly mentally fit 74-year-old Savonovich who provides detail on how he came to hire Louisa. According to Savonovich, Louisa eventually used money from a property sale to have Savonovich declared mentally unfit and moved to an assisted living facility in Dedham.

In the lawsuit, Louisa denies those allegations, claiming the Netflix documentary misrepresented the case.

According to a copy of the complaint, “the [Dirty Money] episode reports, falsely, that Attorney Louisa committed crimes and ethical violations in fleecing a 'bewildered' Savonovich out of millions of dollars by causing the police to remove him from 'his childhood home' and transferring him 'against his wishes … to an assisted living facility' so that [Louisa] and his colleagues could sell Mr. Savanovich’s real estate and leave him 'totally penniless and a 'ward of the state.'”

According to Louisa’s complaint, Savanovich sought the legal assistance as the town prepared to enter into receivership proceeding that took place in Dedham District Court in 2016. According to filings from those proceedings, the condition of Savanovich’s property at 26 Highland Terrace was, “unfit for human habitation and endanger[ed] or materially impair[ed] the health, safety and well-being of occupants, neighbors, and/or the public.”

After helping Savanovich sell the property on Highland Terrace, Louisa used money from the sale to address, in part, real estate taxes Savonovich owed. Louisa's lawsuit says he became increasingly concerned over his elderly client’s health and well-being after a December 2017 wellness check by Needham police found him living in allegedly squalid conditions and suffering from frostbite.

In November 2019, Louisa’s representation of Savanovich ended after Probate Court proceedings that he initiated found Savanovich mentally incapacitated and appointed Attorney Alexandra Golden as his legal guardian and conservator, the lawsuit notes. According to the lawsuit, the approximately $3 million collected from the sale of his remaining properties is used to pay nursing home bills for Savanovich along with a monthly stipend.

Louisa v. Netflix, Et Al. - Complaint Aug. 18, 2020

No doubt we all recall this in Needham/Newton ---------->

Defamation lawsuit targets media defendants

Co-defendants in the lawsuit filed by Louisa include Jigsaw Productions and its subsidiary Muddy Waters Productions, the companies hired by Netflix to produce the "Dirty Money" episode, and an Essex County attorney.

The lawsuit claims the attorney, who attempted to intercede in Savanovich's case and whose interviews appear in the Netflix documentary, provided information, including impounded court documents, to the "Dirty Money" episode’s producers and another co-defendant, the owner of the Peabody-based print and web publication Boston Broadside.

The case may be headed to federal court after attorneys representing Boston Broadside filed a request Sept. 14 to move the trial from to the First U.S. District Court in Boston because it deals with First Amendment issues, Universal Hubreported Wednesday.

Defamation claims against a media defendant constitute a federally based claim independent of the Massachusetts defamation common law claim and First Amendment implications in the case mean Louisa and his attorneys have a constitutional burden to show the falsity of each statement cited in Louisa's claim, according to a copy of the venue change request filing.

Scroll down to read the entire document >>

Louisa v. Netflix, Boston Broadside

Draw your own conclusions.
No doubt we all remember this meh?

I love it when someone takes it to the next level over “get off my lawn”

Maybe they should just stay the f*** off his property.

HOA is a crock of shit… You’d have to be stupid to live somewhere with a HOA.

I

I really need to see the grass before making a ruling…

When I lived in Chicopee, IIRC the city had an ordinance and would fine you if your grass was over 12". I hate mowing the lawn, and really don't care what it looks like - but not even I would let it grow to 12" - I think it's considered hay at that point. This guy looked like he maybe missed cutting for two weeks - BFD.

Am I weird that I find mowing the lawn or fixing the broken lawn mower relaxing

Yes, very weird. Cutting the lawn sucks. But I enjoy snow blowing and shoveling. Too bad we're not neighbors.

The warrant was left at the door and contractors for the city's code enforcement began working on the lawn. About an hour later, the resident started shooting from inside the house, Chacon said.

"And they immediately backed off. They got all of the staff that was working on the house to safety and and a SWAT call was initiated for a barricaded subject," he said.

SWAT, mental health officers and a crisis negotiator arrived on scene, but could not get the man out of the home, leading to the lockdown of a nearby elementary school and the closure of several streets.

"SWAT spent the next several hours trying to negotiate with the individual to just simply come out of the house," Chacon said.

Oh oh, I better start my lawn mower!

Remember when everyone wanted to be a journalist after Watergate? 50 years later and it’s a cesspool.
I didn't want to be a journalist. A degree in journalism just suited my skills, after finding out that I was woefully unprepared to get a degree in engineering.

So there I was as a sophomore, in the first day of JOUR-1013, "Introduction to Journalism". It was taught by the department head, Dr. Van A. Tyson.

He asked the obvious question: "Why do you want to be a journalist?"

All the hand-raisers gave the worst possible answer: "I want to make a difference." "To make a change in the world."

Doc T. let them finish, and then told them they were wrong. Journalism isn't supposed to be about changing anything. It's supposed to be about reporting the truth.

Doc is a legend, at least to me.

“One robot in. No robot out.”

“Officers got the man away from the house and treated him before he was taken to a hospital, where he died. It's unclear what caused his death.”

Umm, probably high velocity lead poisoning?
Could have been a heart attack.. lead in the left ventricle.

Back
Top Bottom