Clarification on selling a gun to someone in another state

I recently put some of my guns on gunbroker.com - Just moving the ones I no longer needed or used.

Sold two locally, so canceled the auction. No biggie.

Sold one derringer via gunbroker. I was just planning to ship to this guys FFL, but he just sent me this:

"I did call my FFL guy he said he can only send his copy of FFL to another FFL holder and the piece must be shipped from your FFL to him. So I'll need your FFL's address."

So now I need to bring my gun to an FFL dealer to ship it out? Never heard of that, but looking for clarification on it.

Thanks!

I'm in NH if that makes any difference, but probably not.

Re: Clarification on selling a gun to someone in another sta

carter said:
I recently put some of my guns on gunbroker.com - Just moving the ones I no longer needed or used.

Sold two locally, so canceled the auction. No biggie.

Sold one derringer via gunbroker. I was just planning to ship to this guys FFL, but he just sent me this:

"I did call my FFL guy he said he can only send his copy of FFL to another FFL holder and the piece must be shipped from your FFL to him. So I'll need your FFL's address."

So now I need to bring my gun to an FFL dealer to ship it out? Never heard of that, but looking for clarification on it.

Thanks!

I'm in NH if that makes any difference, but probably not.

This is strictly his FFL's business policy. Legally it's fine for you to ship directly to his FFL.

DR said:
This is strictly his FFL's business policy. Legally it's fine for you to ship directly to his FFL.

Yes, you are correct. Only the receiving party MUST (per BATFE) be an FFL.

That's right, it's only his FFL's personal policy, not law. Here's the ATF link to prove it:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

So, your dealer will probably charge you to transfer/ship the pistol. But, shipping may be a considerable amount less, depending on how your dealer ships.

Overnight using FedEx or UPS is expensive, but is required per their policy. But, a federally licensed DEALER (C&R's are not eligable, unfirtunately) can ship a handgun through the Post Office using Priority Mail. Even with insurance (using their flat rate box, $7.95, unlimited weight), it's less than $10 to ship!

The 01FFL holder simply has to supply the Post Office with a copy of his FFL to keep on file, and fill out a USPS Form 1508 (downloadable on USPS.com) which the Postmaster keeps on file for one year. The only info on the form is the dealer's name, signature, and the address the handgun is being shipped to.

carter said:

Since we all know for certain that it's simply this FFL's own policy, I'd send him "NES Guns & My Address". Then as soon as I open the mail for "NES Guns" and confirm that I'm really shipping to an FFL (thus covering my ass), ship it direct. Why should I spend additional money because the buyer picked this particular FFL?

Ken

YOU shouldn't spend any extra money to ship it. If the buyer wants to use that particular dealer, and that dealer is demanding things which are NOT the law, that's out of your control. Let the buyer pay the extra, NOT you!

Back
Top Bottom