Class 3 permit

Looking for info on obtaining a class3 permit. Searches keep refering to 03 FFL. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Tom

By "Class 3 Permit", do you mean Machine Gun License? There is no MA 'permit' for other NFA items (SBR, DD).

The reason the 03FFL keeps coming up is that the 03 is a collectors license, which can be used to show that you are, in fact, a bona fide collector of firearms (one of the criteria for the Mach. Gun Lic., the others are dealer and instructor).

So has anyone on this Forum obtained a MA machine gun license (class III)? I have an unrestricted MA LTC/A Large Capacity license and my Curios and Relics (C&R) license from the ATF. I saw a great price on a WW2 era machine gun that I would have liked to purchase, but realized that, in over regulated Massachusetts, I need yet another license. I am looking for ant tips or advice from anyone who has gone through the process and successfully obtained a MA Machine Gun license. What did you put on the application for purpose? What did you tell you local licensing officer? What questions did they ask? Any advice is much appreciated.

So has anyone on this Forum obtained a MA machine gun license (class III)?
Any advice is much appreciated.
There are multiple members - your experience will vary wildly depending on where you live. It ranges from walk in and fill out the paper, to spending months jumping through hoops that the CLEO dreams up to flat out "NO"...

I'd start by calling your CLEO to ask what their policy is and go from there...

There are multiple members - your experience will vary wildly depending on where you live. It ranges from walk in and fill out the paper, to spending months jumping through hoops that the CLEO dreams up to flat out "NO"...

I'd start by calling your CLEO to ask what their policy is and go from there...

I realize experiences will vary by town - and I take the fact that I got a LTC/A without too many hurtles as a positive sign. The licensing officer was fairly pro-gun. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has actually been through the process.

You should really study the state and federal laws. That way you will have a better chance of asking and answering questions. Jack.

So I appreciate that a thorough knowledge of the laws is important. However, I find I can can only follow a portion of MA's convoluted and, often apparently conflicting, gun laws. I have read assorted materials on state web sites. Looked at information on GOAL's web site. In neither case, nor on the state sites I've looked at, can I find any clear guidance regarding Machine Gun licenses. Perhaps I just missed it. If you have any specific URL you can direct me to that would be appreciated - both by myself and probably anyone else in the future looking at this thread.

Green card is one thing. I just wish I had the cash to back it up:)

Yea - I hear you. The WW2 item I was looking at was nearly $3500 and that was cheap compared to others like it I found on-line (most were more like $4500-$5500!). Classic Thompson are $10,000-$20,000! I can really even afford a couple thousand, but the idea of having a real WW2 machine gun (to add to a few other select WW2 items) would be a nice piece of history to have.

However, if you win a small lottery and suddenly have the cash, but not the license, then you're stuck, so I figure try to get the license first and then see if I can scrape the cash together.

Is having to be a "collector" to own a machine gun a Mass thing? I know a couple people who have full auto in CT..and they just did the ATF paperwork and CT takes $100$ for it too..but none of them mentioned being questioned as to why they wanted it..

Okay, please excuse me for not knowing every acronym out there - 03FFL is short for... what? A some sort of federal firearm license for class 3 weapons?

01 FFL = Federal dealer license in retail firearm sales
03 FFL = Federal license for a collector in Curios & Relics. Those firearms that are either on the BATFE C&R list or at least 50 years old. MA requires you to have this to get your MA MG license because they think the only reason you'd want a MG is for collecting purposes.

Mass. MG license or Green Card('cuz it used to be a green card) = MA Machine Gun license which allows the holder to possess full auto* firearms. (*) Also refered to as "class 3" firearms or weapons.

Try finding a Beretta 93 or Model 18 that is not a dealer sample. Would make 10k seem like chump change.

So true - $30K or so, still Iread somewhere that a M134 or equivalent could set you back $65K-$80K (assuming you could even buy one). Sometime I wonder why what amount to some pretty simple mechanical devices (relatively speaking) should cost soooo much.

01 FFL = Federal dealer license in retail firearm sales
03 FFL = Federal license for a collector in Curios & Relics. Those firearms that are either on the BATFE C&R list or at least 50 years old. MA requires you to have this to get your MA MG license because they think the only reason you'd want a MG is for collecting purposes.

Mass. MG license or Green Card('cuz it used to be a green card) = MA Machine Gun license which allows the holder to possess full auto* firearms. (*) Also refered to as "class 3" firearms or weapons.

Thanks! I didn't know for sure that a "green card" was a MA Machine Gun license although I could sort of infer so from a previous post. It's helpful for me, and probably the next person searching for this info, to have it spelled out.

Back
Top Bottom