• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

class III tragedy

OK. today at work one of the regulars came in and was telling me how a coworker had recently passed away and the wife wanted to give the customer the dead guys gun collection. he then said included in the collection was a original German mp44 brought back from Germany in 1945. the guy called the A.T.F. asking how he could legally buy it or what he could do with it. he said the A.T.F. gave him 2 options destroy the gun, or donate it to a museum. the wife of the dead guy wanted them out right away, so (get ready to cry) he was forced to destroy this piece of history. I had a hard time listening to this tragedy. he took a bunch of pictures and kept the magazine. I can't wait til he comes in and shows them too me. that's BS that he had to destroy the gun

If those were the only 2 options,I would of donated to a museum...atleast the gun wouldnt be destroyed and someone else could see a part of history.

That sucks.

The Maxim Gun captured by Alvin York and his men in 1918 almost met the same fate. Thankfully that one is going to the museum instead. Unfortunately, if it wasn't registered prior to the 1986 cutoff date, those are the only two choices the law allows.
My uncle was an Army Captain who served in Europe during WW2. He came home with a few war trophies such as nazi swords, an officers Drilling and a Schnellfeuer. The Schnellfeuer was full auto with a snail drum magazine. He never registered it, but it's final fate is unknown to this day. He had a fire in his house back in the mid 70's and it came up missing while sorting through his belongings afterward. Along with a .45, a P-38 and the Drilling. It's believed that one of the firefighters "rescued" it during the fire. He didn't report the guns missing because they weren't registered and didn't want to create more problems. But if that Schnellfeuer resurfaces someday, it'll be subject to the same fate as the MP44.

Last edited:
Wow, that is such bull. Abso-effing-lutely ridiculous.

Unfortunately, that's the way it is.
When Regan signed the Gun Owners Protection Act of 1986, the one concession made to the dimocraps (in order to get this through congress) was the provision that ended manufacture of civilian legal MG's. It also effectively ended legal registration of any MG's that have "come out of hiding" since. [frown]

Thats really too bad...

I need to go lay down now...

Sad part is all that needed to be destroyed is the reciever not the whole gun...

PS.Nickortizzle1035 P.M. sent your way...

Last edited:
Why didn't he just donate it to a museum?! That's a MUCH better choice than destroying it! [sad2]

godkillssmall.jpg

It's also possible the gun was papered, but if the widow didn't have the paperwork/stamp there's no way a transfer could be conducted. I doubt that BATFE bothered to look it up in the NFRTR, either... and even if they did, that database is not very accurate. (there have been several court cases over that very issue.... )

-Mike

In my sleep deprived state I first saw "detonate a museum". For a second I thought those ATF guys had a sense of humor. Sucks about outcome however, very sad.

Doesn't anyone just keep stuff like unregistered, unknown machineguns to themselves anymore? A guy's gotta be a little more discreet. No museums and certainly no steel saws. I have to go puke now.

packingungal: Nothing sweeter than a warm Florida morning in spring when the air starting to take on some weight. I'm in Massachusetts at this moment but will be in KW Thursday going into the week beyond. If only my wife could leave this frozen hell-hole up here for good. I'd never leave that island ever again.

Doesn't anyone just keep stuff like unregistered, unknown machineguns to themselves anymore? A guy's gotta be a little more discreet. No museums and certainly no steel saws. I have to go puke now.

One reason might be the max penalty for possessing an unregistered machine gun in Mass. Look it up.

I do know the laws. Life is full of risks. But thanks for the concern - I mean it.

John

Seriously. It's not worth it. The Feds would be the least of your worries:

M.G.L. - Chapter 269: Section 10. said:
Whoever, except as provided by law, possesses a machine gun, as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, without permission under section one hundred and thirty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty; or whoever owns, possesses or carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a sawed-off shotgun, as defined in said section one hundred and twenty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life...

Pirceless artifact of history.... donate it to a museum,...or destroy it.... donate it for a tax deduction.... or destroy it....

I think I'll pick 'Start my own Hands-On Museum with a 50 yard test range' Anyone who donates gets free admission and 100 rounds of ammo every year.

State prison for life is quite a time for a chunk of iron. Maybe I should stick to collecting old golf clubs.

Back
Top Bottom