• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classified Listings - bitching cause I'm lazy

Probably just laziness on my part; But it would be nice if price was listed in all classified headers/titles so you don't have to click on a item to find out that someone wants $850 for and M&P 9mm. End of bitch session.

How about:
Brand
Model
Caliber
Price
Location.

I have no idea how many times I've clicked on a ad for a caliber I don't want in a location 75 miles away.

A few years ago NES implemented more "advanced" software for classifieds listings. Sort of like an eBay type interface with all sorts of ways to sort, filter, search, etc.

Pretty much everyone hated it and wanted the "old way" back. You can't make everyone happy.

Probably just laziness on my part; But it would be nice if price was listed in all classified headers/titles so you don't have to click on a item to find out that someone wants $850 for and M&P 9mm. End of bitch session.
How about the firearms that come with a boatload of accessories? Optics? Holsters? Extra mags? Just post in WTB with $$ you'll pay. Problem solved.

How the classifieds are right now is good for me... it keeps me from spending more money than I have. Lazy me doesn't want to deal with all those extra clicks, which means my wallet stays happy. [laugh]

Agree.

Less info, less pictures, less likely that I'll PM.

Its called advertising - get your info out there fast.
Don't bury the lead.

As long as it's in the ad I don't really care. Give me a clear, concise title and I'll get the details when I click the ad for more info.

A few years ago NES implemented more "advanced" software for classifieds listings. Sort of like an eBay type interface with all sorts of ways to sort, filter, search, etc.

Pretty much everyone hated it and wanted the "old way" back. You can't make everyone happy.

I see very little deviation from of the rules laid out by Eddie Coyle in the classifieds. Does it happen? Yes, but very infrequently.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...hole-thing-before-you-post-in-the-classifieds

How about enforcing the "no location given" = delete post rule?

I see very many WTS ads with no clue as to even what state the person is located, never mind a clue of where in a state.

Most are pretty good with the guidelines. But location generally needs to be a bit more precise.

"Location: MA" That could be Pittsfield to Pembroke.

"Metrowest" Is that Boxborough or Franklin.

I'm with you. Try Nantucket for a really good deal, only cost you $200 to get over there and back to do the FTF and a full day of your time!

"Metrowest" - the one person who backed out of a sale to me was over this exact issue. Advertised as Metrowest then said transfer to be done in W. Boylston!! When I said that wasn't what most of us would consider Metrowest he backed out, neg'd itrader on me and neg rep'd me daily for a lengthy period of time! More precision in an ad would be helpful, but I've learned not to expect that here.

If someone is breaking the rules in the classifieds section, report the post and it will be taken care of.

I just ignore them and move on, but they do annoy me. Moderating the classifieds is what brought out the worst in me as a Mod, so I know that it is 1000x worse than herding cats. Sympathies to the surviving Mods.

"Metrowest" - the one person who backed out of a sale to me was over this exact issue. Advertised as Metrowest then said transfer to be done in W. Boylston!! When I said that wasn't what most of us would consider Metrowest he backed out, neg'd itrader on me and neg rep'd me daily for a lengthy period of time! More precision in an ad would be helpful, but I've learned not to expect that here.

You sure you didn't sleep with his wife or something? LOL

Yeah, the location thing would be nice. I will say that "another gun board dedicated to a certain black plastic pistol" changed their classified's system a few years ago and it went from thriving to dust-and-bones pretty much overnight. While this system isn't always the most efficient, it does work well.

You sure you didn't sleep with his wife or something? LOL

Yeah, the location thing would be nice. I will say that "another gun board dedicated to a certain black plastic pistol" changed their classified's system a few years ago and it went from thriving to dust-and-bones pretty much overnight. While this system isn't always the most efficient, it does work well.

FYI, this happened some 8 or 9 years ago here on NES.

Never met the guy. He just took offense at my pointing out that it was a much longer trip for me than I was happy with (>1 hour drive). If I know that someone in W. Mass or Cape Cod is selling something, I pass on it as not worth the long trip. It's when one location is "advertised" and someone changes the location/definition to someplace much further away, that people will get upset. Any ad that I post, I give the general location area (towns) that I will meet them at to avoid surprising someone.

Back
Top Bottom