• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classified translator

Adding up the price of all the do dads you put on the item doesn't add much value to said item. I had a complete motor rebuild on my bike in which for the cost, I could have bought another used bike. In the end, it's still a 40 year old bike and I would be crazy to think that someone else would buy it for what I have into it. If you have the mindset thinking that you will get it back, you're a pretty big frickin idiot.

Greg

LNIB = I bought it, tried it & don’t really like it. Want to buy it?

Unicorn = Oddball gun that nobody else wants or cares about

Collectible = I am trying to help you justify spending a lot of money on this gun

won't last = yes it will, as nobody wants it. the only reason it won't last is that it's about to fall apart once and for all, which is why you want to get rid of it.

Ruger Mini-14 preban = old barrel might be a smooth bore, as you can't hit diddly squat with this gun and a good grouping is measured in miles.

upgrades = cleaned and reattached broken front sight

Last edited:
Adding up the price of all the do dads you put on the item doesn't add much value to said item. I had a complete motor rebuild on my bike in which for the cost, I could have bought another used bike. In the end, it's still a 40 year old bike and I would be crazy to think that someone else would buy it for what I have into it. If you have the mindset thinking that you will get it back, you're a pretty big frickin idiot.

Greg

With used guns its far worse because a lot of the add on shit, much of it is useless and stuff that almost nobody wants. Like for example, if a guy is selling a glock and he has a lasermax... only like .02% of the buyers are going to want it with that piece of shit installed in it, and pretty much nobody is going to pay extra for it, or lasergrips, or other hokey shit like that. Oooh you put an agency slide on it, well, coo coo ca choo, we should all line up and pay extra for that shit... . [rofl]

Or like a guy selling a Ruger Mini 14 with a bunch of generic "preban" magazines. That any mini-14 guy knows are pretty much 90% chance of being junk and worthless. that stuff just does not add any real value.

Or like, before all the ban bullshit.... nobody in their right mind would pay "extra" for an AR or an AK with a slidefire mounted on it. [rofl]

-Mike

With used guns its far worse because a lot of the add on shit, much of it is useless and stuff that almost nobody wants.
Or custom gunsmithing that actually reduces value.

A friend has a Colt pre-ban sporter. She had an excellent, but not nationally renowned, gunsmith machine the top flat and set it up for scope mounting. Despite the absolutely flawless execution, this cutting of the upper has basically destroyed any collector value for the gun. She thinks it is worth a premium because of this mod. I respectfully disagree.

as been mentioned several times, my favorite is the custom glock stippling. jeezus i hate that crap. looks horrible, feels horrible and i've only seen one professional job that was decent. i see that in an ad and i click it good bye.

Forget the Roland Special, what you need is the Lowell Special! Stippling and pre-ban mags!

I bought a G26 gen4 with a mildly screwed up home brew stippling, 3 mags and a tlr6 light/laser yesterday. $250 with an IWB and OWB holster.

I love when people factor in the labor costs of basic stuff like a drop in trigger. Like a $20 hammer + paying a shop $80 to install it does not add $100 value to a gun.

A friend has a Colt pre-ban sporter. She had an excellent, but not nationally renowned, gunsmith machine the top flat and set it up for scope mounting. Despite the absolutely flawless execution, this cutting of the upper has basically destroyed any collector value for the gun. She thinks it is worth a premium because of this mod. I respectfully disagree.

I agree. Humans can rationalize many, many things!

• "Pre-Healey" rifles = MSRP+$600
  • "Anderson Lower" = $40 vs "Pre-Healey" Anderson Lower = $400
  • "Used" Glock Mags = $15 vs "Pre-ban" Glock Mags = $150
Classifieds must be slow. Don't see "Goose Rules" disclaimer that much anymore.

Hey....this is supply and demand brought on by your local politician. Can't blame people for getting what people will pay for them.

Blame the pols that created it, not the sellers.

I would dispute the "safe queen" comment because if someone has 40+ guns, there isn't the time or always enough money to shoot them all. I still have NIB guns in my safes.

While I don't have anything NIB.....I do have safe queens that rarely see the light of day, or don't get shot much.

The ones that kill me are the ads that list used guns for more than I can buy it for new. Do a little homework.

This...big time. Check Grabagun, Puds or Gunbroker before you list a price.

Nobody is going to buy your used stuff for the price they can pay for a new one. Even with that custom trigger job or stippling you put on. Nobody.

Usually I list 100 dollars less than Grabagun and sell quickly, could I make 20 dollars more, sure, but I will also be bumping it 17 friggin time or dealing with tire kickers. F that, my time is worth more. Get it sold.

The WWI Luger I have in the classifieds right now is a "I don't want to part with this gun, but if someone is willing to pay top dollar on it, I'll let it go." gun.
The Polish P83 in the same ad is a "I don't want to part with this one either, but it's an almost impossible to find in MA milsurp, and I refuse to lose money on it." gun.
I may bump that ad a flobert amount of times, and I don't feel bad about it. ;)

I recall an episode of Pawn Stars and some guy was trying to sell Rick a custom trike. It had everything on it. I'm sure it had a Hemi in it b/c there was so much crap on it. It was super crazy.

The guy had something like $50K into it.

"I'll give you $8K."

"The chrome alone is worth double that!"

"And find the guy that wants it."

Custom bikes, custom cars, custom guns - you NEVER get your money back. Don't believe that you do. Guys that are convinced their $2,500 custom gun is worth $2,500. Besides the fact of. . . . WHY DID YOU BUY A CUSTOM GUN THAT YOU DON'T USE FOR $2,500????

My middle school shop teacher whenever we f'd something up : "It's Custom!"

I recall an episode of Pawn Stars and some guy was trying to sell Rick a custom trike. It had everything on it. I'm sure it had a Hemi in it b/c there was so much crap on it. It was super crazy.

"I'll give you $8K."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlOIKtYsos

for sale, gen 2 glock 19 w/1 ten round mag = i can sell the 2 pre-ban hi caps it came with separately for more money than i can get for the pistol it self.

LOL

Almost. Sorta kicking myself for selling my G19 mags about 8-10 years ago for $40 apiece. I can't believe ANYONE pays $150-200 for a hicap G19 mag. It's crazy. Maybe no one does and people settle for far less. I recall when that guy on GT stole everyone's $ selling them for $40 or something. And that seemed steep. Yikes!

At least you are good enough not to "dog" her over it. [grin]

Second biggest pet peeve.
" Low round count, hard to find in Mass, Mint condition Kimber/Colt/ etc 1911"
And the pictures clearly show a DEEP idiot scratch. Price = MSRP plus 20% - "firm"

Of the shelf AR with an ACOG - $3200. I always want to PM them... dude they are not hard to get, brand f***in new.

"I'll give you $8K."

"And find the guy that wants it."

Custom bikes, custom cars, custom guns - you NEVER get your money back. Don't believe that you do. Guys that are convinced their $2,500 custom gun is worth $2,500. Besides the fact of. . . . WHY DID YOU BUY A CUSTOM GUN THAT YOU DON'T USE FOR $2,500????

The other problem is to once we're talking about guys that have thousands of bucks to hand out the only reason that they're shopping used is because they want to save a good chunk of coin otherwise they'll just pay the extra money and buy a new one.
This...big time. Check Grabagun, Puds or Gunbroker before you list a price.

Nobody is going to buy your used stuff for the price they can pay for a new one. Even with that custom trigger job or stippling you put on. Nobody.

Usually I list 100 dollars less than Grabagun and sell quickly, could I make 20 dollars more, sure, but I will also be bumping it 17 friggin time or dealing with tire kickers. F that, my time is worth more. Get it sold.

Don't tell the gun dealers in MA that routinely flip $350 glocks for $700 all day long.... [laugh] There are obviously a lot of nipplehead buyers otherwise there wouldn't be 100 dollar mags and overpriced shit. That said, I do the same as you, gunbroker low avg, take off 50-100, and it's gone...

Accessories = any moldy holster and NATO surplus mag pouch that don’t hold the handgun or mags.

I’d just say 10% off if you haul away a box of my old firearms-related sh*t that’s taking up shelf-space here.

Back
Top Bottom