• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classified Trolls

I don't sell alot but I have recently had a few items on the classifieds here and on armslist. I think Maura and gang are trolling sellers. Either that or the world is full of idiots.

Example 1: From NES Classifieds--Hi, I'm really interested in your gun and would like to secure the purchase of it while I'm out of the country. Can I send half the money to hold it until I get back?

Example 2: From Armslist---Thanks for getting back to me. Are you firm on price? How would you like to receive payment? I am currently working in Michigan right now. I'll arrange for a pick up through my FFL dealer as soon as you receive payment. I am serious about the purchase.

I know we can't do anything about the armslist fools; But can we report, create a list or just shit can offenders that are on NES to discourage such behavior?

I've had worse luck lately dealing with sellers who just disappear and stop responding to messages after agreeing to a deal.

The NES reply sounds like the first step in some sort of scam. It may not be, but I'd be very cautious.
Armslist seems like a dumpster fire, so I'd be careful dealing with anyone there.
Maura Healey appears to be living rent free in your head since your first thought is that this is some sort of government sting aimed at you. As if they have the time, money, or interest in you.

[rofl]
The NES reply sounds like the first step in some sort of scam. It may not be, but I'd be very cautious.
Armslist seems like a dumpster fire, so I'd be careful dealing with anyone there.
Maura Healey appears to be living rent free in your head since your first thought is that this is some sort of government sting aimed at you. As if they have the time, money, or interest in you.
[rofl]

Dont sell to anybody who isnt green. Its cheap enough to become green. Maybe we can get a download from the state .gov payroll and compare names on that to the payees name when they pay for membership. I noticed a ton of registered users with 1 or 2 posts that joined post 7/20.... but maybe i wasnt looking at that stuff before

Let's assume that the 2 examples are really "scams." What would the scammer get out of those scenarios?
Let me begin by saying I am not a troll. I joke around, I poke fun I make smart assed comments a lot of the time because My everyday life is serious and sometimes people get to intense about things they perceive as a massive affront on here. But I do it to for a laugh to be shared with other members and that includes self deprecating humor. The kind of trolls were talking about on this thread just do it to waste time and for sport to see if you will respond to see how far they can string you along and then innocently bail. Its for sport. There is no other purpose.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Let's assume that the 2 examples are really "scams." What would the scammer get out of those scenarios?

If you agree, they'll "accidentally" send a check for double the amount, and ask you to send them a check for the overpayment. A few month go by when the bank tells you their original check has bounced, but your check cleared. You lose.

Face to face transactions only, green cash.

What I always loved was the non-troll that would be in a local small store. The ones I remember most fondly were gun store versions - almost always at Costa's in Taunton/Raynham/Whatever.

Guy comes in. Spends a GROSSLY inappropriate time discussing the stupidest issues relating to pistol X vs. pistol Y, examining both about 400 times, yada yada.

Then guy says he needs to go and. . . . water his dog, launch the Space Shuttle, cure cancer, whatever. It's a BS excuse whatever it is. THEN he spends 5 minutes explaining in further minute detail about when and how he was coming back and how great this place was and what a true humanitarian that Mr. Costa was and yada yada yada.

I'd be at the rifle rack just chuckling to myself. It seems human nature to make up the most elaborate excuse instead of just saying, "You know what? I'm just not ready. I really appreciate your help. Thanks."

I think part of the disappearing buyer syndrome is just that. It's easier to disappear - especially after being EXTRA hot for something - than to explain that your wife will have a legitimate set of truck nuts if you completed the transaction.

This.

If you agree, they'll "accidentally" send a check for double the amount, and ask you to send them a check for the overpayment. A few month go by when the bank tells you their original check has bounced, but your check cleared. You lose.

Someone tried that with me years ago for an ebay transaction. They sent a fake Postal M.O. for double the amount, and wanted me to send my item, plus the "extra" to them.

I brought the money order to my P.O., who verified that it was fake, and passed it on to a postal inspector. I never heard back from the buyer.

I don't sell alot but I have recently had a few items on the classifieds here and on armslist. I think Maura and gang are trolling sellers. Either that or the world is full of idiots.

Example 1: From NES Classifieds--Hi, I'm really interested in your gun and would like to secure the purchase of it while I'm out of the country. Can I send half the money to hold it until I get back?

Example 2: From Armslist---Thanks for getting back to me. Are you firm on price? How would you like to receive payment? I am currently working in Michigan right now. I'll arrange for a pick up through my FFL dealer as soon as you receive payment. I am serious about the purchase.

I know we can't do anything about the armslist fools; But can we report, create a list or just shit can offenders that are on NES to discourage such behavior?

Just stop responding to them and delete their PMs. Or if it looks like its really suspicious, report the PM.

-Mike

There are people on the forum who do travel overseas for work, ahem. It's possible that someone is interested in the item and would like to complete a transaction upon their return. Their rating & level of activity on the forum is usually a good filter, and the willingness to meet FTF.

That said, when I offer something on the forum it's first to bring cash- no holding beyond my first availability unless it's someone I know personally. Always cash FTF...

Somtimes dissapearing buyer syndrome can also be explained by people with little patients.
I go from looking to buying real quick. I could find a better deal or somthing more desireable.

granted im not a dick and will reply saying i already bought what i was looking for..
but if i haven't heard from somone for i week i might not bother responeding if i receive a message.

dissapearing seller syndrome is more offensive then dissapearing buyer syndrome.
Selling your going to get nonsense inquiries
but as a buyer i hate people who list something they clearly don't want to or aren't going to sell.

I assume OP is getting these responses through pm/email...over the years of selling items on Craigslist I've figured out a few simple rules for myself to follow and now it's pretty easy to weed out the bs...one of my rules is give them your number and tell them to call you to talk...serious buyers will call you or ask to talk to you...if they don't call then you know they weren't serious or were a scammer...pretty simple and it doesn't waste time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only Armslist had a feedback system. Obviously that would not fix 100% but would be a huge step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom