Cleaning the aluminum slide of a Taurus PT145

What is the best way to clean and or polish the upper on my Taurus PT145? Its getting a bit dingy looking and I would like to clean it but nothing Ive done so far seems to have any effect on it. Any help would be appreciated.

For one thing, it's NOT aluminum, but stainless steel (the slide). At least according to Taurus's spec page.

Since it's not aluminum, you need to find out what's actually on the slide. I would start with a fine Scotchbrite pad, working lightly on the affected areas. Or try some Nevr Dull. Or any other stainless buffing compound/polish that won't scratch. If it's actual corrosion/rust and not some gunk stuck to it, consider getting it treated so that won't happen again.

BTW, I won't expect aluminum slides on anything larger than a 22LR pistol.

You can get it from Amazon if you can't find it in a local store. I have two cans of it since I couldn't locate the first one I had (bought it ages ago). Stuff works really good for cleaning up pocket knife blades too (glue from opening boxes).

You could try some Flitz, or Simichrome too. Basically, something that will clean/polish/protect and not abrade is what would be my first choice. If it goes deeper than that, you can get it media blasted and Cerakote sprayed (same place would do both since places that Cerakote also media blast to etch the parts first). Chances are the markings on the slide, that are not deep in the metal, will be softened. Happened with the SR9 slide I sprayed with Cerakote (for another NES member).

Dremel with polishing disc. Autosol stainless works well. 2000 grit sandpaper, and finish off with 4000 grit. Plenty of options.

Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish is excellent on aluminum and stainless steel. Available online, http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-05101...=1-1&keywords=mothers+mag+and+aluminum+polish, and at most auto parts stores. It's a creamy paste, seems to work via chemical process as opposed to abrasion, so is gentle but effective. Can be applied with a paper towel or soft cloth, just work it in, then wipe off. There are videos on Youtube demonstrating on a variety of guns. I used it on a S&W 617 revolver, stainless steel with dull factory finish, brightened up the finish nicely.

Edit: If you use a power tool, like a Dremel or drill, with a polishing attachment, be careful not to let any metal parts of the tool or attachment touch your work surface, lest you create a scratch or gouge. Also, a rotating polishing attachment can spin rapidly enough to throw polishing compound into the air--messy. This can happen even with a Dremel at slowest speed. Before trying a power tool, you might want to try it by hand. You can really feel what you're doing. The surface area of a pistol slide is small in square inches, so it's not a major project. Read the directions on any cleaning or polishing compound for cautions about incompatible surfaces, blued steel as a possible example, that it could damage.

Mothers.jpg
Have you tried a mag polish? Those are supposed to work well on aluminum. Never tried it myself, no aluminum slides.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom