• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Club/Range with public access near Newton

I found it difficult to find a club/range with public access. I am a pistol shooter only and I cannot shoot frequently due to busy schedule.
I only know MFS have public access, but it's a bit far.
Mass Rifle Associate in Woburn doesn't have public access.
Any other range near Newton?

I don't know of any public access nearby. Gun clubs that I have belonged to that I like are

Weston Shooters Club . indoor pistol range only, pricy, but very swanky and 24 hour convenient

westwood gun club, outdoor only Westwood Gun Club . not sure if there's a waiting list for membership
50 and 100 yard range, straightforward common sense rules

Mass Rifle is a longer haul and too many restrictions

I found it difficult to find a club/range with public access. I am a pistol shooter only and I cannot shoot frequently due to busy schedule.
I only know MFS have public access, but it's a bit far.
Mass Rifle Associate in Woburn doesn't have public access.
Any other range near Newton?
Many clubs out there have 24/7 indoor range access. But you have to join the club.

So.....join a club.

The Original Bob's in Salisbury Ma ( go on a week day) less Hood rats and a whole lot less dangerous.
Not many hood rats and their whores in there anymore. They require you to have an LTC or FID to use the range now......so that solves that problem.

However.......have not been to bobs in many many years. Went there a few times when I relocated for work and was in between gun clubs.......no.....just no. There was absolutely no safety in mind there at all. Was shooting next to a guy that was loading his handgun at the back table then swinging his gun to the firing line muzzle sweeping the whole line. Mentioned it to the staff......he was busy selling guns and didnt give a shit.

Left and never been back.

What do you mean public access? Most clubs in MA are private, you have to join, pay dues, etc. There are like a handful of pay ranges in MA, including MFS, AFS, Bobs, Gun Parlor, some other thing in western MA I can't remember, and I think cape gun works has one. That's it for walk ons. Some private clubs may offer limited public access opportunities but most of these are a total crapshoot and a waste of time, you just need to find a place, sack up and get a membership if you want convenience.

-Mike

Why not just join a club? With what you pay per visit at someplace like MFS, you could likely cover a club's dues in the difference of a few trips
I agree. I am surprised at what the cost per year is there compared to what you get.
It's definitely about convenience..

Why not just join a club? With what you pay per visit at someplace like MFS, you could likely cover a club's dues in the difference of a few trips
This. It's not like most gun clubs in MA cost $2k per year in dues. It's short money to join a club.

I agree. I am surprised at what the cost per year is there compared to what you get.
It's definitely about convenience..
$200 a year at my club. About average I'd say.

What are most public rental ranges at now? $25 an hour?

A membership pays for itself pretty quick. Plus at most clubs you get outdoor rifle and trap/skeet/5 stand.

Maynard
Concord
Westwood
Braintree
Holbrook
Walpole

probably even more...

As far as I know all require a membership.

If you are looking to find a range next door living in Newton you can kiss that dream good-bye.

You will need to drive a bit.

Back
Top Bottom