• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clubs near Easton, MA

nitsuj

NES Member
Hi there! New here, trying to figure out what my best club option is to fit my needs...hoping to get some help!

looking for one close, so far I’ve found Ames, Mansfield, Taunton, I don’t know any one in any of them, so I’m sponsorless right now.

I would like to bring my son (12) and occasionally my wife, with the ability to bring other guests

Year round use would be big plus, so probably indoor range access, which looks like all 3 have or will have soon

I’m open to other clubs as well, just trying to find something that would be best for me

thanks in advance!

Hi there! New here, trying to figure out what my best club option is to fit my needs...hoping to get some help!

looking for one close, so far I’ve found Ames, Mansfield, Taunton, I don’t know any one in any of them, so I’m sponsorless right now.

I would like to bring my son (12) and occasionally my wife, with the ability to bring other guests

Year round use would be big plus, so probably indoor range access, which looks like all 3 have or will have soon

I’m open to other clubs as well, just trying to find something that would be best for me

thanks in advance!

Taunton fits the bill. Family is included with individual membership and you can have guests. Indoor, outdoor and reasonable dues ($125/yr + one time initiation fee).

Did an Appleseed at the Mansfield Fish & Game a weekend this summer. They let us use the club house (which has A/C) on one of the hottest days of the year - and they had a barbecue for attendees. The outdoor range where we shot was covered - if it wasn't an hour away from me... Anyways, it seemed like a decent club and from my limited exposure I'd recommend it.

Easton Rod and Gun club on Howard Street is right in your town also.
If you need a sponsor, just go to some of the events and make friends. Ames has an egg shoot coming up on a Sunday soon. Easton rod and gun has 22 shoots on the 4th Sunday I believe.

great feedback, thank you all, and keep it coming, I still have to do my homework on all of them but the input is definitely helpful!

Braintree is 24/7 indoor, and 10am or noon to sunset outdoor.
Go early morning on most days and you will be alone. Nobody to bug you etc.
BRP.org
Relatively good value. If you are member, Spouse is $25 per year. Kids program on Friday nights.

Tomorrow, 10/06/19 @ 10:am is TAUNTON’s monthly meeting. Good time to check it out, ask questions, great bunch of people.....

My son had hockey so I didn't get a chance to make it there, any idea how they are on guests? I know Ames is 2 visits then no longer welcome unless they are a member, the scenario I have in mind is a friend that comes to visit me from out of state a few times a year, I would like to not worry about having to only bring the same friend a few times and not allowed to bring them again, since it isn't feasible to have them get a membership to come with a couple times a year

Easton has a magazine limit and no rapid fire. Well, it did when I joined and got a rundown on how effed the rules were, a friend took me down there for breakfast and that was the last time I set foot on the property. YMMV.

Interesting map, Mansfield F&G isn't on it and others weknowof aren't either.

The OP should talk with people (or read reviews in the Clubs sub-forum) for the clubs of interest. Many of us were members of Ames at one time and quit there for specific reasons (and it wasn't the guest policy). Mansfield F&G each month averages 1 or 2 people who likewise quit that club. Some clubs are friendly/helpful/welcoming and others aren't. You want to get the flavor of the club as well as finding facilities that match your interests.

Interesting map, Mansfield F&G isn't on it and others weknowof aren't either.

The OP should talk with people (or read reviews in the Clubs sub-forum) for the clubs of interest. Many of us were members of Ames at one time and quit there for specific reasons (and it wasn't the guest policy). Mansfield F&G each month averages 1 or 2 people who likewise quit that club. Some clubs are friendly/helpful/welcoming and others aren't. You want to get the flavor of the club as well as finding facilities that match your interests.

thanks for the insight, I’ve ready through some of the reviews on here, I was hoping to drum up people that have experiences at multiple clubs that way the comparisons are fair

Be aware that a lot of older clubs have very poor ventilation in their indoor ranges. So ask lots of questions.

My first club was so bad that this was a large part of my decision to quit that club. Maybe 6-8 yrs ago I met that club's pistol league chairman who confirmed that he had reportable lead levels due to shooting there and that the club had still done nothing to mitigate the issue.

Braintree R&P has 2 HEPA filtered indoor ranges. Never been there but I think that Taunton has a good ventilation system as well. During the years I was a member at Ames, I only shot on the indoor range once and wasn't impressed with the filtration.

Taunton has an indoor range with 24hr access , a second indoor range they open when the kids or bullseye league is practicing, trap, 50-100yd outdoors and a 300. Weekends can be busy, but ive learned to time it when there is a sports game on tv. been a member for 7 years, no complaints other than the steel plate shoots should be done inside during the winter when there is absolutely nothing else going on. And, i dont think there are any restrictions to guests.

Last edited:
To answer your question, indoor range is almost a must, trap would be nice

Mansfield has no clays and the indoor range is still under construction

Ames has no clays

Massapoag in sharon has both trap and skeet, and an indoor range as does SF&G

There’s certainly no reason why you couldn’t belong to multiple clubs.

Be aware that a lot of older clubs have very poor ventilation in their indoor ranges. So ask lots of questions.

My first club was so bad that this was a large part of my decision to quit that club. Maybe 6-8 yrs ago I met that club's pistol league chairman who confirmed that he had reportable lead levels due to shooting there and that the club had still done nothing to mitigate the issue.

Braintree R&P has 2 HEPA filtered indoor ranges. Never been there but I think that Taunton has a good ventilation system as well. During the years I was a member at Ames, I only shot on the indoor range once and wasn't impressed with the filtration.

That's a good point, I assumed that it was a pretty standard thing for good ventilation, but I should assume nothing...

I joined Taunton this year because Mass Firearms became too long of a drive to shoot there regularly. Nice 24hr indoor range(s) with good ventilation. For a club with almost 4000 members, I'm often alone when I go shoot indoors. If you're interested in joining, go to the website and just fill out and mail in an application. I received my orientation notice a few weeks after submitting my app. It was a fairly easy process. Their dues are reasonable and they seem to be dedicated to improving/expanding. Also, anyone I have spoken to there has been friendly. Guest rules seemed pretty lenient. Don't be stupid and don't let your guests be stupid and you'll be fine. (don't bring 10 friends, or the same friend 50 times - they should just join at that point if they enjoy it that much.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom