cmp rack grade worth it?

I bought a 4 last year. They are probably worth what I paid for them. Not complete trash. They are shootable. I saw lots on other forums with original stocks, lockbar sites, uncut oprods, etc. I wasn't as lucky.

I bought two hope of for a been there done that not put together rifle. I planned worst case I would use them to build a garand in 308 and an m1D. Both rifles were cmp refinished receivers. One being more pitted than the other. One had a service grade barrel and the other had decent measurements but was frosted. I was happy with what I got and both turned out good for my purposes. I will see if I can find the before photos

Attachments

• D902C8E9-FBEF-44C6-A23B-9454A4313F50.jpeg
    D902C8E9-FBEF-44C6-A23B-9454A4313F50.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 2D174233-3717-4D5D-BCE8-FBF098595E36.jpeg
    2D174233-3717-4D5D-BCE8-FBF098595E36.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 57ED3E7D-067E-4B63-8AD4-CD1969447F3A.jpeg
    57ED3E7D-067E-4B63-8AD4-CD1969447F3A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
how bad are they? shootable ? stocks complete trash?
you can get the rack grade plus that comes with a new stock for another $150
Rack grades worth it? Where else can you get a Garand for $700 shipped to your door?

If your looking for a over all shooter maybe the get he so called expert grade for $1150 new stock and new barrel

you can get the rack grade plus that comes with a new stock for another $150
Rack grades worth it? Where else can you get a Garand for $700 shipped to your door?

If your looking for a over all shooter maybe the get he so called expert grade for $1150 new stock and new barrel
Just looking for somthing that’s functional doesn’t need to be perfect but I plan on shooting it

I guess part of it is … that it is a crapshoot. But someone at Reading just got a rack grade+ with the new stock, and there was barely any pitting and it gauged at 3 or less. He did really well!

Just looking for somthing that’s functional doesn’t need to be perfect but I plan on shooting it
It’s perfect for exactly this. If/when you get sick of it (and I doubt you will), you’re basically guaranteed a profit on it because most people are too lazy to sign up for CMP to get one (or ten.)

I’ve seen very few examples of people being unhappy with their purchases.

A rack grade will function and go bang. Other than that it's a crap shoot, as it is for any CMP grade. I once ordered a Field Grade as a donor and what arrived should have been a Rack Grade, if that. No big deal as it was an organ donor for a match rifle. Some have been so-so for the grade and others have been a real surprise. Last one was a Field Grade and they called to see if I'd upgrade for $100. Yep. They shipped me a USMC O-66 rebuild that drives tacks. Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with CMP shipments, though a couple kinda sucked for the grade.

A rack grade will function and go bang. Other than that it's a crap shoot, as it is for any CMP grade. I once ordered a Field Grade as a donor and what arrived should have been a Rack Grade, if that. No big deal as it was an organ donor for a match rifle. Some have been so-so for the grade and others have been a real surprise. Last one was a Field Grade and they called to see if I'd upgrade for $100. Yep. They shipped me a USMC O-66 rebuild that drives tacks. Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with CMP shipments, though a couple kinda sucked for the grade.
Yeah yeah, keep bragging about that damn rebuild rifle 😝

I get less jealous every time you mention it 🤣

Rack grade PSA:

One of the guys at a club I belong to bought a rack grade plus? It's a rack grade with a new stock.

Receiver looked great, minimal pitting. I tore it down and inspected the rifle.

The op rod was bent. Not where it's supposed to be bent, but where the "rod" section turns into the flat part that rides in the receiver. It failed the "tilt test" and was actually pretty obvious when you looked at it.

Assembled the rifle and told him to contact CMP. They asked him if the rifle functioned (it did) and said OK, then. If this were a more expensive grade, perhaps they would have replaced the op rod.

It was probably fixable, maybe if you were to put it in a vice and nudge it a bit, but I was doing all of this at the clubhouse.

Rack grade PSA:

One of the guys at a club I belong to bought a rack grade plus? It's a rack grade with a new stock.

Receiver looked great, minimal pitting. I tore it down and inspected the rifle.

The op rod was bent. Not where it's supposed to be bent, but where the "rod" section turns into the flat part that rides in the receiver. It failed the "tilt test" and was actually pretty obvious when you looked at it.

Assembled the rifle and told him to contact CMP. They asked him if the rifle functioned (it did) and said OK, then. If this were a more expensive grade, perhaps they would have replaced the op rod.
They probably dont have any better op rods.

They probably dont have any better op rods.
I'm guessing the sketchy parts get installed on rack grade rifles.
I will try to find the digram I have that you place the op rod on and it gauges if its bent beyond service.
What we like as “good” can be a long way from what is “good enough” for the military.
“We” get all huffy if a bolt closes on a nogo but military laughs at that and wont even blink until a bolt swallows a field gauge.

Would be interesting to see the USGI spec.

I've handled and built enough Garands to know something was up with the op rod. You know how it rides on the underside of the barrel and wears off some of the park in that area? Well, the op rod was visually out of center there. I wouldn't use this op rod on a JCG games/match rifle.

Be damed I cant find it.
In sure there is a actual gauge but
There is a digram you place the op rid on and if it stays with in the lines and the tabs are good , well its good.
I have a M1 you can clearly see the op rod bows out from the receiver, its never jumped track or malfunctioned in anyway.

Honestly I think they just grab the next part in the bin much like the old armories would have.
This guy used to make a reproduction of the gauge
I've bitched about it before but the last field grade I bought most definitely should have been a rack grade.

I had a Garand that I had purchased from an estate. The previous owner had sporterized the stock and refinished with a thick coat of polyurethane. I ordered a new stock set from CMP and then sold it quickly on consignment at the deli emporium for way more than $700. Finish on the metal parts was good. I didn’t have any documentation that it was a cmp service grade but I expect that might have been the case. I had two Garands and hadn’t shot this one in ages so it was time to be culled.

I had a Garand that I had purchased from an estate. The previous owner had sporterized the stock and refinished with a thick coat of polyurethane. I ordered a new stock set from CMP and then sold it quickly on consignment at the deli emporium for way more than $700. Finish on the metal parts was good. I didn’t have any documentation that it was a cmp service grade but I expect that might have been the case. I had two Garands and hadn’t shot this one in ages so it was time to be culled.
LOL trying to imagine how one would sporterize a Garand, though I have seen a couple Bubba jobs on 1941 Johnsons that made me cry like the fake Indian in the anti littering ad. Probably dropped the value of the 1941's by $2K or more.

I may cull an IHC Garand and possibly a 1903 and use the money for something non safe queen.

Gone are the days in the 80s when I purchased my M1 rifle for only $175 for a excellent condition one. It was way before they raised their prices and the grade system was used. In todays market the prices they charge are still a good value for what you get.

Gone are the days in the 80s when I purchased my M1 rifle for only $175 for a excellent condition one. It was way before they raised their prices and the grade system was used. In todays market the prices they charge are still a good value for what you get.
$175 in 80s seems expensive, lol
That was pre cmp days one rifle take what you get.

LOL trying to imagine how one would sporterize a Garand, though I have seen a couple Bubba jobs on 1941 Johnsons that made me cry like the fake Indian in the anti littering ad. Probably dropped the value of the 1941's by $2K or more.

I may cull an IHC Garand and possibly a 1903 and use the money for something non safe queen.
He cut the metal base pad off the stock and replaced it with a rubber base pad. Then slathered the wood with poly.

When I get better, I will put that stock set and a couple others on karma.

Last edited:
Remember most if the grading has to do with TE and ME readings.
Most? As in 100%?

Barrel was TE 2, ME 3, probably from having steel cleaning rods rammed down the muzzle for years. Other than that, it was a mess. Op rod bent and tab mangled so that it would not stay in track, pits on receiver above wood line, clip latch was toast, detents on windage drum worn flat, and a couple other issues that affected function. I probably should have contacted CMP for the parts replacements but Super Guinea sold me the necessary parts for low $ as part of the match build.

All in all I can't really bitch about the CMP. The last two M1's I bought from them were like winning the CMP M1 lottery. All the IHC needed was a matching trigger group but it did come with an early forged guard SA trigger. The 5-digit SA O-66 came with an IHC trigger group so that was the perfect swap. Both are good shooters- I won that last July match with the O-66 and I at least got a silver or two with the IHC, might have won a match with that one too.

I'm not seeing any posts in forums regarding awesome surprises for M1's that CMP ships. Maybe a receiver or two that are not pitted, but otherwise no better than the grade advertised. There are still some gems to be found in the stores or at Talladega Marksmanship Park.

He cut the metal base pad off the stock and replaced it with a rubber base pad. Then slathered the wood with poly.

When I get better, I will put that stick set and a couple others on karma.
There were two M1's at Cabelas that looked like the stocks were cut down for a kid or possibly a little person. Butt stocks were cut down to a tiny size, with the smallest cushy rubber base pads I have ever seen. If the barrels had been chopped, they would have looked like a M1 Obrez.

I am tempted to do this (if legal) if only to troll the diehard collector snobs. I have a junk barrel, junk op rod, and junk stock I could sacrifice. I wonder if the gas system works or if it's a manual rack to reload?

y8s4sgwc78x41.jpg

LOL, nah.

And get better!

Back
Top Bottom