• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP road trip

This.

We're all living vicariously through you. Basic descriptions--pics later, if need be.
I disagree.

📸

Nothing could be more important right now than pics, except maybe video. Wherever you are right now, we need you to pull over, whip out whatever you're now graced with, and do an impromptu shoot to please us, your loving audience.

[party2][cheers][party]

I too tired from driving, I'll post pics and stuff a day after I get back. Need sleep.

I will say one was exactly what I was looking for, one of the armorors went out back to find it, the guys there are awesome. And I picked up a couple trinkets to karma.

Oh, and after using their range, nothing will ever seem good again

Well I'm about as recovered from the trip as I'm going to get. First a few general impressions.
I'm not as young as I used to be, on Friday night when I got to Anniston, all I could think was NEVER AGAIN, and how am I going to make it home for work on Monday. But after a solid 8 hours sleep, the world looked better, especially from inside the CMP store. And after shopping and spending the afternoon at the range, I have to admit, I'd do it again..... but with more time at the range, more time to drive, and a second driver, I'd go again.

I did most of my driving in the dark, I quickly found that the sun and glare was brutal on my eyes and driving at night also avoided any traffic when I passed near a city. But I did do some driving in daylight and the scenery was beautiful, kind of like New England, with hills, mountains, and fields, but hugely scaled up... ande less rocky outcroppings. The trees were all brown, not many evergreens, I bet it's awesome in the summer with all the green.

When I was going from the store to the range it really hit me I was in the south when I saw the cotton fields on either side.

Now the big answers.
Yes it is worth going in person, the best stuff sees the store first. And talk with the staff, they were all great, I told my story of coming from NH and they were happy to help me find what I was looking for, and point me to some good selection. I'm terrible with names, but the guy on the right in the picture is one of the armorers, he had been working on the 1917s and pointed me to a few good ones in my budget range, ones he had gone over. But alas the Garand I wanted wasn't there. I wanted an IH, good condition, and as close to original as possible. It's a sentimental thing, I had one I got when I was 18 ($125 back then), but like the rest of my collection it didn't survive my divorce...... so about 15 minutes of him looking in back and magically I got my IH. And it shoots nice too.

The trip was totally worth it, all I need now to complete the collection is a 1903A3, but between the trip and the auction last month I'm way over budget for a little while.
So here are pics from the trip, I'll post more on the rifles as I clean them up.
Garand Man
1577325504474.png
These are the guys you want to know
1577325549447.png
indoor range at the store
1577325724049.png
Armorer 8 is in the pic, a 0+/1+ and a 1+/1+ :)
1577325919059.png
The whole team
1577325976268.png
the store is small, but still couldn't get it in one pic, but you get the idea
1577326076404.png
And one of the range (spoiled me for any other range)
1577326669146.png
How did this get in there :cool:
1577326767113.png

Umm, your links don't work. Use the "attach" option at the bottom of the editing box and it should import the pictures to NES server.

So is the target pick a group shot with the 1917?

And what did you choose for the Garands--is one a Philippine WWII return, and one a "rack grade special"?

See if you go to the store you never know what they will have. Try to rind a LGS that has a 1903,1917 and 2 garands.

Umm, your links don't work. Use the "attach" option at the bottom of the editing box and it should import the pictures to NES server.
I did attach them, at least they look attached on my end, is anyone able to see the pictures?

So is the target pick a group shot with the 1917?

And what did you choose for the Garands--is one a Philippine WWII return, and one a "rack grade special"?
One Service Grade with new stock, the other is Special Grade the IH.

The target is the Special Grade IH
The 1917 groups well but is a little low and hard left, the front sight is clearly off to the right. I think I could have left it for them to fix but I kind of wanted to do it myself, so I'm getting a front sight pushers. May have to wait for warmer weather.

One Service Grade with new stock, the other is Special Grade the IH.

The target is the Special Grade IH
The 1917 groups well but is a little low and hard left, the front sight is clearly off to the right. I think I could have left it for them to fix but I kind of wanted to do it myself, so I'm getting a front sight pushers. May have to wait for warmer weather.

Very nice.

Damn, you got that whole team of 4 from the store?
68732727.jpg

What was the damage on the 1917 and 1903?

Back
Top Bottom