• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP to Allow Optics for Service Rifle?

Oh, I did. Still have it.

Gotcha. I'm putting together a low-budget scoped "service" rifle with a bunch of used parts and a Vortex just for the hell of it. I don't expect that I'll shoot it much though, I like the match gun too much.

I think the 4.5x scopes are removing the "seeing" game from the equation. I appreciate that, in my mid 50s I am not going to win any seeing competitions. I'm actually going to compete in XTC for the first time this yr, in large part because I can use an optic.

As to the "old school" crowd, most of today's "old school" crowd don't shoot wood guns, and even for those guys, they need to remember that once upon a time the 45-70 was a service rifle (in fact it was the first US military rifle cartridge), and I don't think they want to get that old school, but if they do I have something for them. [smile] Oh yea, and there were optics even back then. ([rofl]I just had a mental image of someone doing rapids with a 45-70 loaded with the Holy Black)

what mounts did you try? biggest issue for SR and a scope is mount height. i'm on my 3rd mount myself (and i dont even shoot SR full time anymore)...the vortex / larue mounts are too tall (1.5")...they'll work ok for standing and sitting, but WAY too high for prone, especially if you're running an A2 stock. I had good luck with the Keystone A5 mount (1.3"), and recently picked up one of Gieselle's "super-precision" NM mounts (also 1.3")

I also had issues with the scope initially, but unfortunately for me, it appears to be the reticle moving around in the scope (its going back to vortex for a check up)....have someone else shoot your rifle and make sure POI isnt shifting shot to shot (i was having 1.5-2.5moa swings)

So I can be a stubborn SOB and thought I'd give the Vortex one last shot (or two, or ...).

Went to the range this morning to practice prone and now I am certain that like yours, the POI is shifting. At most I'd get two shots before it moved. With the skinny barrel Modern Military upper, I'd get a couple shots at 100 yards 1" to 1-1/2" apart and then the POI would shift 6" and I'd do it again. Make a couple click (1 MOA) adjustment & get 5 or more MOA shift and not necessarily where I was expecting.

Yep, going back to Vortex. Unfortunately my upper tipped off the rest and there are some marks on the windage turret. I may have to pay something for the repair due to that 'evidence', but this damn thing has been problematic since day 1.

It's iron time!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the 4.5x scopes are removing the "seeing" game from the equation. I appreciate that, in my mid 50s I am not going to win any seeing competitions. I'm actually going to compete in XTC for the first time this yr, in large part because I can use an optic.

As to the "old school" crowd, most of today's "old school" crowd don't shoot wood guns, and even for those guys, they need to remember that once upon a time the 45-70 was a service rifle (in fact it was the first US military rifle cartridge), and I don't think they want to get that old school, but if they do I have something for them. [smile] Oh yea, and there were optics even back then. ([rofl]I just had a mental image of someone doing rapids with a 45-70 loaded with the Holy Black)

Technically we could shoot the Winchester 1895 lever gun. [smile]

I'll get to see which one I like better.

I have the Vortex, and I'm shooting it Sunday in VT.

It's been 12 weeks so I called Leopold yesterday to ask where the custom shop 4x33 FX-II that was supposed to be delivered 7 weeks ago was. Seems it gets here Monday. I ordered the Leupy with M1 turrets, 300 Parallax and a Leupold dot reticle with a 1MOA dot.

Back
Top Bottom