• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cold ammo?

Loaded the car with ammo and guns at 5:00 AM for a trip to the BR&P after work. It was cold Monday. Started shooting around 4:00PM. Had more duds than I can remeber. Could it be cold rim fire ammo, or cold Ruger? This ever happen to you?

Were the case rims dented the same as a successfully discharged round? Maybe the lube you are using is not as cold tolerant and was a little thick?

I shot on Monday in the cold, and I didn't have any dud rounds, and my guns functioned flawlessly.

Just a thought
Adam

Strange indeed.

Was the graphite the dry type, or was it in a gel or liquid form? Was the ammo old?

Honestly unless it was a light strike for whatever reason the first time, and the lube wasn't thicker when you first started until the gun warmed up I don't know what it could be...

Adam

There was a length article in one of the mags a long time ago that, as I recall, concluded as follows: extreme cold can affect chamber pressure, but had no effect on ignition. Dollars to donuts, your problem was a light strike on account of cold's effect on the action. Light strikes are not always easily detectable by visual inspection.

Back
Top Bottom