• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cold day for a range trip, but was too excited about my new Rifle! CZ Rimfire

nightpoison

NES Member
Headed out to the range yesterday, damn was I cold. Being out in the sun was fine, but sitting under the shaded canopy for a couple of hours numbed the toes. Of course, I didn't help by wearing thin socks and sneakers. Poor choice.

However, here is my new toy. I've had her for a few months, but needed to finish grabbing parts to build her out. Finished it up yesterday morning and headed to the range.

1676816293794.jpeg

CZ457 MTR Varmint
MDT 40MOA Rail
Vortex Diamondback 4-16
Salmon River Solution Hunters Rail
Accu-Tac SR-5 G2

I'll be using her for the upcoming PRS Rimfire season. I need a cheek riser, even with the lowest scope rings, maybe a 1/8" between rail and scope, I have to lift my head a bit.

To mount the rail I drilled some holes in the bottom of the rifle and used some threaded inserts. However, I inserted one of the brass inserts and screwed it up badly, bad angle. Tried to back it out, but it was a solid fit and I stripped the brass. So I tried drilling it out and messed it up more. I'm going to drill it out down the road and do a decorative insert but for now, it's fine.

Shoots great. I just took it to the range for some fun. I need to properly sight it in and zero it for 50, and figure out what I'm going to feed it. It seemed to eat everything I gave it yesterday with equal enthusiasm.

Headed out to the range yesterday, damn was I cold. Being out in the sun was fine, but sitting under the shaded canopy for a couple of hours numbed the toes. Of course, I didn't help by wearing thin socks and sneakers. Poor choice.

However, here is my new toy. I've had her for a few months, but needed to finish grabbing parts to build her out. Finished it up yesterday morning and headed to the range.

View attachment 722749

CZ457 MTR Varmint
MDT 40MOA Rail
Vortex Diamondback 4-16
Accu-Tac SR-5 G2

I'll be using her for the upcoming PRS Rimfire season. I need a cheek riser, even with the lowest scope rings, maybe a 1/8" between rail and scope, I have to lift my head a bit.

To mount the rail I drilled some holes in the bottom of the rifle and used some threaded inserts. However, I inserted one of the brass inserts and screwed it up badly, bad angle. Tried to back it out, but it was a solid fit and I stripped the brass. So I tried drilling it out and messed it up more. I'm going to drill it out down the road and do a decorative insert but for now, it's fine.

Shoots great. I just took it to the range for some fun. I need to properly sight it in and zero it for 50, and figure out what I'm going to feed it. It seemed to eat everything I gave it yesterday with equal enthusiasm.
Is that the factory stock?

View attachment 722749

CZ457 MTR Varmint
MDT 40MOA Rail
Vortex Diamondback 4-16
Accu-Tac SR-5 G2

Beautiful rifle. I've been casually looking for one in my LGS's for a while now but have not found one or actually any model CZ457 or 557. I've asked all of them if they could order one, none said yes. The occasional search on Gunwatcher also showed nothing available. I'll keep looking and hopefully get lucky eventually.

Beautiful rifle. I've been casually looking for one in my LGS's for a while now but have not found one or actually any model CZ457 or 557. I've asked all of them if they could order one, none said yes. The occasional search on Gunwatcher also showed nothing available. I'll keep looking and hopefully get lucky eventually.
Took me some time to find one as well. Not easy. Like you I asked around. It took one of my go to LGS to actively look for one through his distributors. Keep looking

View attachment 722749

CZ457 MTR Varmint
MDT 40MOA Rail
Vortex Diamondback 4-16
Accu-Tac SR-5 G2

awesome, a copy of mine before i moved it into a chassis. mine really loves norma tac. it has a lighter epl4 6-24x scope now.

cz_mdt.jpg

awesome, a copy of mine before i moved it into a chassis. mine really loves norma tac. it has a lighter epl4 6-24x scope now.

View attachment 722920

I tried norma Tac22 with both my 10/22 builds and I hated the stuff. I planned on ordering some more and trying it with this build. How are liking the Arken?

Thats a nice chassis, but its a shame to take that walnut stock off.

Beautiful rifle.

Wondering, is a 40 MOA rail needed for rimfire?
It really depends on the rifle setup and the scope, but definitely need at least 20moa. You ideally want to be able to dial out to 400yds, which will be in the ballpark of 21mil. 40moa between scope base and mount is a safe bet. some guys are running 60.

It really depends on the rifle setup and the scope, but definitely need at least 20moa. You ideally want to be able to dial out to 400yds, which will be in the ballpark of 21mil. 40moa between scope base and mount is a safe bet. some guys are running 60.
That was the logic I was told. I got a lot of people suggesting doing a 20moa rail and than the Burris adjustable scope rings

Do you see a benefit to the chassis?
it`s black!

it also - probably, may be easier to deal with on a barricade. for shooting it in a standard upright position, or in a forest, or, well, mostly everywhere - not so sure.
wooden stock they have on it is very nice. aluminum is sturdier and can handle more abuse.
as i got that chassis for $270 or so, on black friday, so, why not. i will try using it until i get bored with it.

as of groups size - i saw no difference so far at 100yds in chassis or in walnut stock.

I tried norma Tac22 with both my 10/22 builds and I hated the stuff. I planned on ordering some more and trying it with this build. How are liking the Arken?

Thats a nice chassis, but its a shame to take that walnut stock off.
arkens are just fine. i have now 5 of them, i think. they are very good budget optics, not a 1st tier optic, but, they get job done just fine.

of what matters - new epl4 is a bit better than sh4, but overall comparable. EP5 is still the best.

as of ammo for your cz - your milage may vary. there was mine:

Last edited:
it`s black!

it also - probably, may be easier to deal with on a barricade. for shooting it in a standard upright position, or in a forest, or, well, mostly everywhere - not so sure.
wooden stock they have on it is very nice. aluminum is sturdier and can handle more abuse.
as i got that chassis for $270 or so, on black friday, so, why not. i will try using it until i get bored with it.

Well, the wooden stock is beautiful, and shaped with bench rest in mind. It may be that the chassis feels better for those other positions. Was the action bedded in the wooden stock into aluminum or some other synthetic material or was it screwed into the wood?

Well, the wooden stock is beautiful, and shaped with bench rest in mind. It may be that the chassis feels better for those other positions. Was the action bedded in the wooden stock into aluminum or some other synthetic material or was it screwed into the wood?
into wood, there was nothing there.

It only took me a mag or two to realize that the simply wasn't any point in shooting anything other than match ammo out of mine. Anything else is just giggles and noise. I hadn't ever owned an accurate .22 before and wasn't prepared to have that much fun.

Any day now ill have my first CZ. Im waiting for the call that the MTR arrives. Extra mags, 40moa rail, and a cheap cheek riser have already landed and im planning on just moving one of my scopes over from another gun.

My son picked up a cz457 synthetic in .17 hmr. The fit and finish is amazing. The trigger is superb. The accuracy out to 100 yards makes me laugh its so good.

Any day now ill have my first CZ. Im waiting for the call that the MTR arrives. Extra mags, 40moa rail, and a cheap cheek riser have already landed and im planning on just moving one of my scopes over from another gun.
Now it’s time to stock on good quality.22lr ammo. SK long range is quite nice.

Can’t beat the beauty of CZ bolt guns. Still looking for that .223 unicorn, the Ebony Edition 527 😔

You definitely piqued my interest in a .22lr version.

Back
Top Bottom