Colloidal Silver: Legit antibiotic/water purifier or snake oil?

I'm toying with the idea of building a colloidal silver generator that uses 3-4 9v batteries in series. Was hoping to get some folks opinions on the effectiveness of colloidal silver as an antibiotic and also to purify water. I have seen articles about the argyria "blue man" and I did do a search of this forum and came across a thread with some differing and strong opinions. But I am still interested in hearing some additional feedback.

Do not bother; it has no internal use whatsoever.

It does have some topical use, although so do a lot of things out there. I personally never have stuff growing on me that needs killing though, so it'd be useless for me to consider. I have a bottle of bactine plus some providone iodine if I get a cut. Although if you're really inclined to try the stuff, it isn't bad to use it topically. I'm still not sure the point of even that use though.

But, whatever you do, don't drink it!! I repeat, don't drink it! And yes, if you drink enough of it, you'll turn into Papa Smurf.

Short answer yes, but it depends on concentration - and how you are suspending the silver in the water. Silver nitrate is the best (silver system) for potable water. If you are simply looking for a purification method that doesnt require heating, I would suggest storing iodide instead (dark containers away from the light for long term storage). Iodide can purify water as well as treat wounds if necessary. Bleach can also be used for water purification, but may not remove parasites.

Long Answer

im did water purification for NASA/ ISS in the early 2000s. The US system used chlorine to treat water (you can also use iodide - about 2 drops/gallon). the soviet water system used silver nitrate. These are not compatible (mixing the two water purification systems) would render both inert (forming precipitation of silver chloride), but work well on their own. We convinced the soviet capsule to change to chlorine.

Last edited:
If it was a "good" system, it would be widely used, already. It's not exactly new technology.

If it worked better than antiiotics, they'd have it at CVS.
There are a lot of things that work better than what you can get at CVS. An when the SHTF, and CVS is no longer around, you gotta have backups for your backups.

Back
Top Bottom