• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colorado Gov Signs Four New Gun Control Measures Into Law

Reptile

NES Member
Joining Washington state in a 2023 western-United States gun control blitz, Colorado Governor Jared Polis on Friday put his signature on four bills restricting the exercise of the human right of armed self-defense.

“No action can ever bring back the loved one that you lost,” said Polis, surrounded by gun control advocates and shooting victims and family members. “But turning your own personal tragedy into action in a way that will make others safer, will really prevent others from having to go through what you went through.”
Here's what they do:

• Increase the legal age for purchasing firearms to 21. The law grandfathers anyone who was 18 when the law was enacted, and has exceptions that include hunting, attending shooting classes, being a peace officer or active duty military.
  • Create a 3-day waiting period for firearms purchases. The law appears to put the burden solely on sellers, who face a $500 fine for a first offense and fines between $500 and $5,000 for subsequent offenses.
  • Expand the list of people who can submit "red flag" gun-confiscation petitions. Colorado already had an "Extreme Risk Protection Order" law, under which family/household members and law enforcement officers/agencies could petition for disarming an individual. Now, petitions can be accepted from medical care providers, mental health-care providers, educators and district attorneys.
  • Remove gun manufacturers' protection from liability. Previously, firearm and ammo manufacturers could only be sued over defects. The new law repeals that limit and requires broadly-defined "firearm industry members" to "establish and implement reasonable controls and precautions related to the industry product in its control." It allows individuals or the Colorado attorney general to pursue actions against violators, and "unlawful misuse" of a firearm or ammo is not a defense.
There's one type of restriction conspicuously absent from Friday's bundle: an "assault weapon" ban, like the one recently enacted in Washington state.

A Monmouth University poll released last week found 49% of Americans oppose such bans, with 46% supporting them and 6% unsure. "That marks a nine-point decline in support and a seven-point increase in opposition since Monmouth asked the same question in June 2022," notes Stephen Gutowski at The Reload.

Already poised to counterstrike, gun rights advocates began filing legal challenges to the new laws on the same day Polis signed them. Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (RMGO) sued Polis and the state over the waiting period and the age-21 requirement. The group plans to challenge the other two laws after finding plaintiffs with standing to challenge them. (Read the filed complaints here: Waiting Period / Age 21)

Continues...

They are trying to overload the system since they know there are only a select number of attorneys with the skills needed to fight at that level.
Red flag laws will fall because they lack due process - already happening in NY.
Under 21 limits failed in Tennessee and with a 3 judge panel in California.

Waiting periods - I believe are part of the NY debacle waiting to be struck down. However while not as egregious as red flag laws, waiting periods also remove a person's rights without due process.

They are trying to overload the system since they know there are only a select number of attorneys with the skills needed to fight at that level.
Red flag laws will fall because they lack due process - already happening in NY.

Waiting periods - I believe are part of the NY debacle waiting to be struck down. However while not as egregious as red flag laws, waiting periods also remove a person's rights without due process.

There were waiting periods when I was a kid, I remember, in several states. I was surprised when, in Wyoming almost thirty years ago, I could buy a handgun and walk out with it the same day. They've been around a long time.

I'm under the impression the CO law represents something we should pay more attention to than the shrill NYS/WA kind of laws: whoever wrote this was much, much more careful to try to avoid open defiance of Bruen, and therefore much more dangerous.

You are forgetting the manufacturer liability.

" ....petitions can be accepted from educators"

So teachers now have a hand in disarming detractors from their Marxist agenda lol
Teacher "tell me, does daddy get angry sometimes"
Kid "yes"

*teacher calls it in for a red flag*

Reasoning - the kid mentioned guns and that the father gets angry, fear for child's safety.

Last edited:
Kid "yes"

*teacher calls it in for a red flag law*

Reasoning - the kid mentioned guns and that the father gets angry, fear for child's safety.

That is what it will lead to IMO

Give the biggest anti-gun Marxist union in the US a hand in the process of disarming people, what could go wrong?

The more old school teachers I meet and talk with, the more of them are getting sick of the additional responsibilities that are being forced upon them. The younger, idealistic ones will go overboard with the joy of additional power over those they are educating. My favorite quote from an old school, soon to retire, teacher is that if he was going to indoctrinate his students into anything, it would be bringing him coffee in the morning, a quality sandwich for lunch, and ice cream before dismissal.

Every time I read a story like this, I hope that it's the straw that initiates the go time at a local or regional level or brings out the next Marvin Heemayer.

There were waiting periods when I was a kid, I remember, in several states. I was surprised when, in Wyoming almost thirty years ago, I could buy a handgun and walk out with it the same day. They've been around a long time.
Waiting periods are an entirely new class of infringement only in nine states and DC.

You are forgetting the manufacturer liability.
That's one that will take a shit ton of case law to correct.
The best way to fix it is for manufacturers to forbid sales to all government entities that have these liability laws. No warranty repairs, spare parts or anything - any distributor who ships is dropped immediately.

They can't sue for unfair marketing if the sales were completely outside the company's sales regulations.

Kid "yes"

*teacher calls it in for a red flag*

Yet another reason to not subject your children to government indoctrination

The more old school teachers I meet and talk with, the more of them are getting sick of the additional responsibilities that are being forced upon them. The younger, idealistic ones will go overboard with the joy of additional power over those they are educating.

I feel this concern, but in my experience a LOT of younger teachers either leave the profession or quickly settle down and become less strident. It's really hard to maintain that level of idealism for more than a couple years; it takes a lot of energy. During this time, they run "allies' clubs" and spearhead equity initiatives and stuff, which takes a lot of extra time and effort. Sooner or later, they meet someone, get married, and their time becomes more valuable outside the school. I've seen it happen a dozen times.

Ask any principal: they lean heavily on their newer hires to manage extracurriculars, mostly because teachers get jaded. Fast.

My favorite quote from an old school, soon to retire, teacher is that if he was going to indoctrinate his students into anything, it would be bringing him coffee in the morning, a quality sandwich for lunch, and ice cream before dismissal.

Truest thing I've ever read on NES.

Oh, I'm sure they won't abuse that.
Doc / Teacher with an agenda: "Are there any firearms in the house?"

Clueless kid: "Yes?"

Doc / Teacher with an agenda: "Do you feel safe at home?" (while providing this subtle cue...)
tmimn.gif

Clueless kid: "No?"
yes-no.gif

Sorry kid, you know what comes next...
DSC00645-2.jpg

That's one that will take a shit ton of case law to correct.
The best way to fix it is for manufacturers to forbid sales to all government entities that have these liability laws.
The problem is that there will always be some uncouth, uncaring entity that will sell weapons to government no matter the morals, risks, laws or anything else. :(

They better be enacting the same liability laws for all car manufacturers. If someone gets behind the wheel, drunk, and kills someone, time to sue Chevy.
Be careful what you ask for
We may see breathalyzers mandatory in all vehicles in the near future.

The problem is that there will always be some uncouth, uncaring entity that will sell weapons to government no matter the morals, risks, laws or anything else. :(
If it is directly against a manufacturer's direction the seller or distributor becomes the one subject to the risk.
Companies need to react the way Magpul did when pulling out of Colorado.
I doubt sales in any of these states are enough to cover the risk of the barrage of lawsuits that will be forthcoming from suicides or stolen guns.

If it is directly against a manufacturer's direction the seller or distributor becomes the one subject to the risk.
Companies need to react the way Magpul did when pulling out of Colorado.
I doubt sales in any of these states are enough to cover the risk of the barrage of lawsuits that will be forthcoming from suicides or stolen guns.
It's a great concept for sure. I just don't think it would work. They want guns... They will get guns. If necessary, from a foreign source. They are the "government" after all. :(

It's a great concept for sure. I just don't think it would work. They want guns... They will get guns. If necessary, from a foreign source. They are the "government" after all. :(
Then so be it but don't sit back and advocate to do nothing because a perfect solution doesn't exist.
This is the rights Achilles heel - worship of the perfect to the exclusion of good enough.

Then so be it but don't sit back and advocate to do nothing because a perfect solution doesn't exist.
This is the rights Achilles heel - worship of the perfect to the exclusion of good enough.
Well, you can start the ball rolling on coordinating that. [thumbsup] Let us know how you make out. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom