Colossal AR Failure

what I meant by my comment is that I don't see a need for a JP adjustable gas block for a "standard" 16" non sbr, non suppressed build.
Well that’s a pretty commonly held belief. If you reload you might enjoy an adjustable gas block. But like somebody else said regardless of the gas block being adjustable you can only get so much gas through the gas port. If you shoot enough the Gasport erodes overtime but that’s not relevant to this because it’s a brand new rifle...
My comment about the guy buying a shitty gas block is because it’s definitely a piece of shit. All my gas guns, I have the gas block pressed and pinned on that f***er ain’t going nowhere...I prefer piston guns anyway...You can’t melt the gas tube if you don’t have one.

With all the stupid shit I’ve done I’m telling you that’s like barely even a failure. I’ve seen tons of upper receiver exploded on registered lowers that are worth 20 to 40 grand....Until you’re blowing up a lower it’s not catastrophic

While looking around to find the pieces to your gun is not a good thing at least the guy wasn’t finding them in his face, neck and eyes

Last edited:
It does? JP Enterprises makes premium parts. They're really popular with the three gun crowd. What am I missing?
Im not coming down on JP, they do make good stuff...It’s just the design of the gas block is just kind of shit..The way it mounts the way it adjusts. Most people get these adjustable gas blocks and never even use the adjustment and they get stuck. It just wouldn’t be my first pick. I’m not blaming the gas block for the kaboom. I just think it’s a piece of shit it’s just my opinion.

Buying a new rifle that’s not going to be suppressed and customizing it with stupid parts is a fail in itself....

I have to reread it to determine if that was a new bcg or if it came with the rifle...People love buy shitty bolt control groups that are chromed or whatever ....nickel plated pick your flavor.
I believe the misconception is it’ll be easier to clean or require less maintenance/lubrication.

Your standard bolt control group doesn’t usually just break into pieces after a few rounds...And this is coming from a guy who completely home brews his own ammo and has about $3.50 worth of quarters in his buffer tube...

Edit...The 9 mm kits require between two dollars and $2.25 of quarters some of the other ones only require $.50.
If you have to ask why I have quarters in my buffer tube there’s hours of reading about it if you Google it

Last edited:

the incident with Scott’s serbu 50 had nothing to do with the rifle. He fired an overpressured slap (armor piercing) round. as he himself points out the responsibility is on the user to know what they’re chambering. i do not know Mark Serbu at all but I hope Scott’s accident doesn’t end up ruining his brand.

Technically, Scott used a .50 SLAP round that was not designed to be used in the Serbu. Serbu advertises on their website that their chamber dimensions are between standard and match and that certain rounds can be to long. The SLAP round is longer and was designed for use in the M2 Browning machine gun, and not for use in bolt action rifles. In fact, it was banned for use in the Barrett M107 sniper rifle.

Lol ..Scott’s video actually gave me nightmares. That’s a catastrophic failure. I was surprised It did knock him right off the chair when he got hit with that cap in the eye...I got a 50 Cal around here that I accidentally stole waiting for my turn at the NES shoot. I don’t ever want to shoot a 50 again in my life. Unless it has a remote firing system...I find a lot of the 50 caliber options out there to be not very impressive. But they usually don’t blow up in peoples faces

Based on this guy thinking a gas block is related, then posting a video talking about it, he's obviously clueless.

Anything is possible but most likely that "last round" in the mag was a leftover 300 blk from some other outing that he didn't notice, then he loaded it with 5.56 the rest of the way.

Lol ..Scott’s video actually gave me nightmares. That’s a catastrophic failure. I was surprised It did knock him right off the chair when he got hit with that cap in the eye...I got a 50 Cal around here that I accidentally stole waiting for my turn at the NES shoot. I don’t ever want to shoot a 50 again in my life. Unless it has a remote firing system...I find a lot of the 50 caliber options out there to be not very impressive. But they usually don’t blow up in peoples faces

Lol if you watch enough videos/after actions by that logic you could scare yourself out of shooting a gun ever again.

I kind of went through an "what happens if a gun blows up" phase looking at aftermaths of guns blowing up, etc.

The conclusion I came to was that you have to be extremely unlikely or really stupid to get serious injury from a kaboom. Or running stuff which is f***ing garbage.

Most .50 issues happen from people running garbage. (like the two or three shitty rifles that are out there) or from shitty ammo.

Honestly the freakiest shit I've seen was blown up M1as where the stock basically got turned into an anti personnel grenade, but even then the poor guy that got whacked with one of those, it
wasn't that bad.

As a contrast most bolt action rifles tended to do an elmer fudd thing where there barrel would just blow open elmer fudd style somehow.

You’ve seen me shoot I’m always wearing goggles...The issue I run into is somebody’s gun is going to explode 100 feet away for me and that one piece of shrapnel will get me in the eye every time. Well I haven’t been to the hospital in about 10+ years every time before that was because I was bleeding from the eye. But when I say bleeding from the eye...I mean I thought I was never gonna see you again. Still had to have my mommy convince me it was time to go to the ER

I’ve only ever reloaded three bad rounds..two case head separations...And one really subpar 40 mm...I feel like my lucks running out

The fact the guy "knows his shit" but doesn't show us the brass on that last round tells me its ammo- he either shot a bad reload or a 300blk.

Can't be the gas block, the block is only regulating down the gas to the big, it won't allow more than a standard block through the barrel's exhaust hole.

That’s what happens when you play stupid games with a 40 mm. People manage to hurt themselves with practice round so you can only imagine what a little flash powder would do

I’ve only ever had one ricochet slap me in the face that I discharged. Other than that i was at an indoor range and this f***ing guy next to me couldn’t hit the target so he-moved it 3 feet away from him and he shot the paper target hanger...Came right into my bay and I screamed “I’ve been shot”

People were saying “that that’s not funny.”I thought the guy shot through the wall and hit me in the face

The only problem I have with some of the alpo chunks pics floating around is most of them are lacking context.

Theres even one with a pic of a glock and then another pic of a guy missing most of his trigger finger and thumb, problem I have with it is I have never seen a handgun KB hand-damage pic that was that bad. Not even close, and I've seen a lot of them, Glocks, 1911s, other guns that blew up.... most people just end up with some cuts and a swollen hand.

It's exceptionally rare to get the whole story. Probably because their ambulance chaser lawyer has told them to shut up. [laugh]

That is one thing refreshing about KentuckyBallistics accident, at least he's come clean on it and likely more info is to follow.

Usually when shit like this happens as soon as an ambulance chaser gets to the "victim" things get very quiet very fast.

Your standard handgun kaboom or AR 15 kaboom is nothing. What I see a lot of is people catch the taint of their thumb and trigger finger with a hammer. It’s always weird when you show up to a range there’s a trail of blood...To me that’s not very concerning but I always wonder about is why the ceiling is leaking and there’s bullet holes in the ceiling....That’s one reason I’m not a member of that range anymore...

Or the guy who lets his kid blast himself with the butt stock of a 12 gauge in the face...

Ice Arms...

tenor.gif

Your standard bolt control group doesn’t usually just break into pieces after a few rounds...And this is coming from a guy who completely home brews his own ammo and has about $3.50 worth of quarters in his buffer tube...

Edit...The 9 mm kits require between two dollars and $2.25 of quarters some of the other ones only require $.50.
If you have to ask why I have quarters in my buffer tube there’s hours of reading about it if you Google it

You know, Hickok45 used to post on Glocktalk. But nowhere do you get the celebs that NES has.

Ladies and Gents - may I introduce, THE LOCH NESS MONSTER!

Looks like it fired out battery on a case hanging out if the chamber.
Your post prompted me to ask myself whether that would suffice to
split a barrel extension (since I had no clue).
I found this very quickly:

Recoil Web: Internet Rumor Control: Epic KaBoom!, 4-Feb'15

Executive summary:
  • Not firing into a squib - the round hit the target.[thinking]
  • Not .300 Blackout - KaBoom preceded the availability of .300 Blackout.[smile]
  • "Binary" (mixed?) charge of rifle and pistol powder in the (commercially reloaded) case! [shocked]

Im not coming down on JP, they do make good stuff...It’s just the design of the gas block is just kind of shit..The way it mounts the way it adjusts. Most people get these adjustable gas blocks and never even use the adjustment and they get stuck. It just wouldn’t be my first pick. I’m not blaming the gas block for the kaboom. I just think it’s a piece of shit it’s just my opinion.

Buying a new rifle that’s not going to be suppressed and customizing it with stupid parts is a fail in itself....

I have to reread it to determine if that was a new bcg or if it came with the rifle...People love buy shitty bolt control groups that are chromed or whatever ....nickel plated pick your flavor.
I believe the misconception is it’ll be easier to clean or require less maintenance/lubrication.

So that's not a JP gas block issue, that's a general comment on adjustable gas blocks? Personally I'm not a fan of adjustable gas blocks. Run the right ammo & buffer and let the barrel port do its job and the gas block is only there to get gas from the barrel into the gas tube.

The guy in the video is a complete knucklehead. I hope JP sends him a C&D letter and wouldn't blame JP if they threatened to sue the dumb SOB. I think a 300 BLK round mixed in or some dumbass reloading is likely the culprit. Unless some idiot drilled out the barrel gas port there's no way the gas block over-gassed it, and it would still be the fault of the bubba job. Maybe a skinflint chinesium BCG? Even if yes, I doubt there's enough energy left over from a normal round exiting the barrel + cycling the bolt to blow the guts out of the magazine and destroy the upper. Not 100% certain but I'd bet on something going boom in the chamber to do this damage.

Just in case there is some newb watching this and it is not already 100% obvious- do not turn an AR so you can look directly into the ejection port while shooting. Definitely do not do this if the gun is having problems, but you should not be doing it anyway. The stupid- it hurts!

images

Back
Top Bottom