• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt Commander broken extractor

Mike 53

NES Member
I might have spent too much time in Andrew's sheered screw thread... After about 3 mags of hollow points in my old Series 70 CC, I had FTE after FTE. Seems the hook at the end of the extractor broke off.
So, any thoughts on where to get a replacement (Brownells?) and I'm thinking it will need fitting? Might wait till Tuesday and go see Steve at Northeast Arms...he's helped me in the past. IMG_2414.JPG

that sucks. had my share break over the years. i always had my smith fit an extra to the gun when it was in. i could just drop it in if ever needed and i wouldn't have to shut it down until it was repaired.

There is lots of good online info about how to fit a new extractor. The tension needs to be correct, and there are a few areas on the hook which should be checked for shape and then polished.

The first time I replaced an extractor, I bought a quality part, adjusted the tension, and did some slight polishing. It worked great, and I don't think that gun has had a malfunction since. This experience made me think that fitting extractors is pretty easy, but I was mistaken.

The second time I fit an extractor, I followed the same steps, but the gun would not quite run reliably. It took several rounds of adjusting and testing before it worked properly.

Overall, I still think fitting an extractor is well within the grasp of a careful home smith. But the extractor is also absolutely critical to the functioning of a 1911. And an improperly fit extractor can cause problems with feeding as well as with extraction. So anyone who does not have the skills, time, and tools to do a careful job may be well served by seeking the services of a professional.

PSA
Series 70 and series 80 extractors are not interchangeable.
You can use a Series 80 extractor in a 70 although I don't know why anyone would want to (weaker because of the firing pin block cutout)

You can use a Series 70 extractor in an 80 if you remove the Series 80 firing pin block.

Last edited:
EGW makes great parts and extractors in particular. Fitting any part isn't difficult. It is tedious. If you are unwilling to stone/file and fit frequently let a pro do it. Dave Santurri in N Attleboro is great for this work. Of Course Mr. Derr is impeccable.

EGW makes great parts and extractors in particular. Fitting any part isn't difficult. It is tedious. If you are unwilling to stone/file and fit frequently let a pro do it. Dave Santurri in N Attleboro is great for this work. Of Course Mr. Derr is impeccable.

+1 on Greg Derr. Perfect in every way.

"They don't make them like the used to". I've been shooting my 1918 Colt 1911 for over 35 years now with the original extractor. But only brass cases. My M3A1 Grease Gun has gone thru two extractors so far. Jack.
How much? The people I know of breaking extractors are shooting at least a couple hundreds of rounds a week.

How much? The people I know of breaking extractors are shooting at least a couple hundreds of rounds a week.
Well, Little Jack is 15 now and has been doing mag dumps with the Grease Gun since he was 8. His favorite. The original extractors are hard to come by and ain't cheap. The 1911 has had umpeen rounds thu it. I do have a fitted stand by extractor for it. Jack.

Well, Little Jack is 15 now and has been doing mag dumps with the Grease Gun since he was 8. His favorite. The original extractors are hard to come by and ain't cheap. The 1911 has had umpeen rounds thu it. I do have a fitted stand by extractor for it. Jack.
This is why it never broke. Same reasons the power to my house became very reliable only after I bought a generator.

Back
Top Bottom