• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt Model 1860

45collector

NES Member
This was gifted to me months ago by friends of family. Made in 1861, completely matching and original, with military acceptance stamps. No doubt it saw action during the civil war. If only it could talk.
I knew next to nothing about cap and ball guns before this, so I did plenty of research on what would be needed to safely fire it. I collected all the stuff to get it going, and figured I’d wait until the anniversary of the battle of Antietam to fire it. Sept 17th is too far away so I put 10 rounds through it yesterday, and loved every minute of it. And trust me it took many minutes of careful preparation and loading to make sure I didn’t blow it or myself up.
I used an old peppered IDPA target and aimed way low for the first shot. I had heard these guns shoot low at 25 yards but I was only at about 12 yards. Next round was a bit high, and 3rd round was a bit low again but then I dialed it in somewhat. The bore on this old beauty is pretty gnarly, with some areas significantly pitted. But hell, not too bad for combat distance with an almost 160 year old piece!

94ADCB16-AAC7-4694-BFA5-C14F03D849B0.jpeg

Stuff I had to get:
.451 pure lead round ball. (Apparently I should have gone with .454 or .457 based on wear and tear/ age.)
Black powder. 3f Goex
Lubed wads, for placing between the powder and ball, for insurance against chain fires.
Little discs of solid lube to place over ball, again for avoiding chain fires but also to help lube the bore on each shot.
Percussion caps, #10.
Cap keepers, which are just little rubber donut looking things that help keep the caps on the nipples, and help to keep any wandering sparks out of adjacent nipples during firing. (More insurance against chain fires).
After 10 rounds it was quite black and filthy. I took the barrel and cylinder and dunked them in hot soapy water.
08561EA5-1C75-4679-A133-06BCDC596980.jpeg
After a 10 minute soak I blew everything out thoroughly with compressed air, swabbed the bore about 15 times with CLP until it no longer spat out blackened patches, and then wiped it all down with CLP throughout.
Tedious yes, but the history!!! What a hoot to shoot.

Once I get a chance to find mine or buy some .315 balls, I'll give my 1864 M49 a whirl.

t

Attachments

• IMG_8261.jpg
    IMG_8261.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8262.jpg
    IMG_8262.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 27
You can see from the outline of the bullet opening in front of the cylinder, that they had conical balls for the revolver as well.

t

Samuel Colt would be very happy...... keep shooting it just learn how to use some light loads and bullets

Samuel Colt would be very happy...... keep shooting it just learn how to use some light loads and bullets

I was given a brass powder flask with a removable spout. The spout throws about 12 grains by weight. I read that measuring black powder for something like this should only be done by volume. But then reading further, it’s ok to go by weight if your aiming for fairly light loads. So my cylinders loaded with ~24gr of 3f are kitten shot compared to 35gr, which is about the max of what you would put through an old gun like that.

Awesome gun.
capandball on youtube has some great info on loading these guns and how to make paper cartridges etc.

As far as the diameter of the balls from what I can tell it's better to go a little bigger as long as they're dead soft pure lead. They are a little harder to load but not by much. The excess lead is shaved off by the front of the cylinder give you a damn near perfect fit. A fried of mine shoots a ton of BP revolvers and swears it's some of the best protection against chain fires out there. Without paying the extra money for felt wads.
Then he tops the cylinders off with crisco or similar depending on the weather I believe.

I was given a brass powder flask with a removable spout. The spout throws about 12 grains by weight. I read that measuring black powder for something like this should only be done by volume. But then reading further, it’s ok to go by weight if your aiming for fairly light loads. So my cylinders loaded with ~24gr of 3f are kitten shot compared to 35gr, which is about the max of what you would put through an old gun like that.
yes volume is the way to go.
I think the problem with weighing black powder is its weight is very inconsistent lot to lot.
Follow all directions.
we used to buy those cheap DIY pistol kits growing up and used a light charge data that came with the pistol and the lightest bullet we could find. Still plenty of fun. Those cheap kits only lasted a season or 2 of hard use. We capped ours off with the grease from the pan next to the stove.
We generally did not shoot black powder to late summer into fall so it did not melt

About time to shoot my 1864 Colt, but there's a problem. Bass Pro no longer stocks lead balls. Cabellas won't ship to MA(!). Buffalo arms wants $20 shipping (Cabellas was 5). Anyone know of a local source of .315 balls?

t

About time to shoot my 1864 Colt, but there's a problem. Bass Pro no longer stocks lead balls. Cabellas won't ship to MA(!). Buffalo arms wants $20 shipping (Cabellas was 5). Anyone know of a local source of .315 balls?

t
Try outback arms, had a pretty good Black powder section. Right on the right when you walk in. Ask Gene . Maybe see if he has a mold and some lead handy?
If gene does not have ball or mold handy
Bullet Mould, Brass, .44 Cal. (One Round Ball & One Conical Bullet) | Gun
I will be smelting up some pure soft lead soon and can give you some lead?

Last edited:

t

Call Glenn's in North Reading - 978-664-0588

I haven't cast my own bullets since the late 90s. Just need one box to play with it a couple of times. Where is Outback Arms? Emailed Glenn's.

My Colt is a M49 - 31 caliber.

t

Attachments

• IMG_8585.jpg
    IMG_8585.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I haven't cast my own bullets since the late 90s. Just need one box to play with it a couple of times. Where is Outback Arms? Emailed Glenn's.

My Colt is a M49 - 31 caliber.

t
Out back arms, rt 58 plympton.
If you dont get there by SAT I will be driving by and check it out.
If you call dont bother talking to anyone other than Gene

I have my last civil war event Saturday. Helping my mother get ready to go back to FL tomorrow, and we see our son Friday. So looks like you will get there first.

t

I have my last civil war event Saturday. Helping my mother get ready to go back to FL tomorrow, and we see our son Friday. So looks like you will get there first.

t
Do you have a mold ? I can borrow the mold and make you some and me some. I have plenty of lead

Back
Top Bottom