• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt pistols

Thank you for that link, I was thinking of a colt defender. I was at a gun shop the other day and the person was giving me the run around about what guns were compliant. He wasn't much help either about carrying. I.plied I was to chubby to carry. Wasn't to helpful about my questions on competing either.

They often aren't. I was in a shop a few months ago where a patron was asking a counter rep about hunting laws and specific scenarios. That's what lawyers are for.

Different shops have different ideas about the laws as written and as they and/or their counsel perceives them. To some degree you can "answer shop" if a certain shop won't do what you'd like. Granted, of course, that it's something that they are at legal exposure for (like MA compliance) not something that is straight illegal (postban high caps, true AWs, etc.).

Different shops will transfer different things as is their prerogative.

ETA: There are some great (as in, terrifying) stories of things gun shop employees have said.

My two stories
1.) An employee of a well-respected MA shop told me Glock told them that they will no longer allow FFLs to ship them firearms for repairs. This was the same day Glock's rep told me to use an FFL to ship it. I had a different FFL do it without any problem.
2.) My personal favorite: I was discussing M1 Garands and an employee piped in, "you gotta be careful, when they were converting M1's from full auto, they made a lot of mistakes and cut some corners." [rofl]

Last edited:
Chances are if you're buying it from a dealer in Massachusetts they are good. Also if you buy it from a police officer who has owned it for 6 months it's good.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Chances are if you're buying it from a dealer in Massachusetts they are good. Also if you buy it from a police officer who has owned it for 6 months it's good.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
If a dealer is offering it, buy if you want to, the penalties are all on the dealer.
The list doesn't apply to FTF transactions.

Both of the above come with the caveat of the magazine restrictions (technically distinct from the pistol but practically speaking nearly always sold in tandem) and the very narrow case of a pistol that violates the AWB.

You might find a dealer who'll transfer a non-C&R Colt.

You might be looking for a long, long while.

FTF transactions are fine, within the limits of the mag restrictions. Or get an 03 FFL and have old Colts shipped to your door.

Back
Top Bottom