• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt Ready to Exit Bankruptcy

Report in today's Hartford Courant, http://www.courant.com/business/hc-colt-bankruptcy-20151216-story.html:

Colt Ready To Exit Bankruptcy; Union Agrees To Retiree Benefit Cuts

750x422
Sergio Pereira adds a completed Colt rifle to a rack of newly assembled guns at the company headquarters in West Hartford. Each is then test fired, packaged, and sent to retailers.

(MICHAEL McANDREWS / Hartford Courant)

70x70
Mara Lee Contact Reporter
Colt expects to exit bankruptcy this month

Gunmaker Colt Defense received confirmation of its reorganization plan in bankruptcy court in Delaware Wednesday, paving the way for an exit from bankruptcy this month, the company said in a statement issued Wednesday evening.

Colt Holding Co. filed for bankruptcy protection in June, citing $269 million in unsecured debt to its 30 largest creditors. The largest creditor by far is a group of bondholders that loaned the company $250 million in 2009.

Some of those bondholders will be partial owners of the company once it's out of bankruptcy, as they are contributing $30 million of the $50 million of recapitalization Colt will have at that point, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Critical to the reorganization was the United Auto Workers' agreement to cut retiree medical benefits for 372 former Colt workers and spouses. The contract had the company paying nearly all the retirees' expenses that Medicare didn't cover; the company's exposure will now be limited to $1,500 per person.

The union succeeded in negotiating a more generous offer, as the company had proposed changing its retiree medical benefits to $1,350 per person.

The majority of retirees spend less than that, but 55 of the retirees have much higher health care costs.

The union also said it will cooperate with management in asking the state to lend the company $10 million, which it would use for working capital, product development and to buy the Colt factory in West Hartford. The factory is owned by a consortium of investors, including the Sciens Capital Management private equity firm that was the sole owner of Colt before it entered bankruptcy in June.

The state has repeatedly given money to Colt over the decades, including $10 million as Colt exited bankruptcy the last time, in 1994.

The union's memorandum of understanding, filed Tuesday, also touches on many issues for current workers. Of the 610 Colt workers in West Hartford, 462 are represented by the union. The company also has about 100 employees in Canada.

In the memorandum, the union said it would consider moving to a 10-hour, four-day-a-week schedule. It agreed to productivity improvement efforts, and said it would work with management to develop new compensation programs linked to productivity improvements.

The union agreed to losing its two seats on the board of the company, but will have access to information the board has. Post bankruptcy, Colt will no longer have to share its financial information with the public through Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

Colt declined to comment.

In the press release, CEO Dennis Veilleux said: "Today we achieved the last important milestone on Colt's path to emerging from Chapter 11 as a stronger and more competitive company. We greatly appreciate the dedication and support of our extraordinary employees during this process, as well as the support we received from our financial stakeholders, Sciens Capital and our customers and vendors."

Colt just needs to die. They completely missed what was the largest expansion of firearms purchasing in the last 30 years. If you make ARs and couldn't keep your company in the black over the last 8 years, you're an idiot.

They should move out of CT before begging to $10 mil. I still don't think they get it, they need the consumer market.

Colt is just another over leveraged dinosaur trying to borrow it's way to solvency. Staying in CT is barely the tip of the giant mistake iceberg.

Colt just needs to die. They completely missed what was the largest expansion of firearms purchasing in the last 30 years. If you make ARs and couldn't keep your company in the black over the last 8 years, you're an idiot.

Yep, should had been turned into a glue factory years ago

The Company will also have a new lease for its West Hartford Facility and the Plan reaffirms the Company’s strong relationship with the UAW.

Because the UAW and CT have such a great track record of making businesses successful! [rolleyes]

This also reminds me that I'd like to see Moms Demand Action out in front of UAW offices everywhere picketing them for making all those killy rifles! Dem libtards protesting dem libtards. We need to make this happen.

Because the UAW and CT have such a great track record of making businesses successful! [rolleyes]

This also reminds me that I'd like to see Moms Demand Action out in front of UAW offices everywhere picketing them for making all those killy rifles! Dem libtards protesting dem libtards. We need to make this happen.

It's even funnier given that Donald Zilkha, one of the bigwigs who might still have stake in Colt (I know he was big in HK and Colt at one time) who used to have soirees with the antis on the other side of the fence... (he used to give money to people like Schumer, et al).

-Mike

I really don't get the negativity toward Colt here, it's almost as bad as the negativity against law enforcement here... A great historical company that has been robbed and ransacked over the years trying to survive and maintain jobs for possible friends and family.. bashing them because they didn't cash in on the AR explosion... really... WTF. They have been trying to get into the market for several years now, but previous management was blind. So because they made potential sales mistakes they should close down, or even move ignorantly stated, move from CT because it's a shithole... such intelligent remarks.. does anyone have a clue what it would cost to move a manufacturing business .... ridiculous and yet comical statements galore..

I really don't get the negativity toward Colt here, it's almost as bad as the negativity against law enforcement here... A great historical company that has been robbed and ransacked over the years trying to survive and maintain jobs for possible friends and family.. bashing them because they didn't cash in on the AR explosion... really... WTF. They have been trying to get into the market for several years now, but previous management was blind. So because they made potential sales mistakes they should close down, or even move ignorantly stated, move from CT because it's a shithole... such intelligent remarks.. does anyone have a clue what it would cost to move a manufacturing business .... ridiculous and yet comical statements galore..

Colt did actually make money during the 2012/2013 gun run. They didn't file for bankruptcy until this year, when gun sales slumped earlier this year and it was a great buyer's market. What they did with the money? Beats me.

Colt did actually make money during the 2012/2013 gun run. They didn't file for bankruptcy until this year, when gun sales slumped earlier this year and it was a great buyer's market. What they did with the money? Beats me.

Maybe "notes" were called in..... more in payments due than profits made..

Colt boxes used to have the UAW (United Auto Workers) logo on them, which means wage problem$. Not sure if it is still union.

S&W is currently advertising for assemblers at $10 per hour.

As a brand most people here probably LIKE Colt, but their management sucks donkey balls. They could have pretty much raped the middle to upper end of the AR market no problem and raked in some cash, but by failure to develop their product line, they missed out on a lot of cash.

It's been more than "several" it's been the better part of a decade. Guns like the 6920 have been around for civvy consumption a long time now. I mean all they really needed to do was develop something more than just the 6920 and 6940 and switch it up with some furniture, stocks, and muzzle device options and they would have had instant winners because of the brand... maybe throw some midlength gassed guns in the mix. and they failed to do even that.

The union thing is a big problem for them, they should have jettisoned the building there a long time ago and moved elsewhere. Or at least put that in front of the union to get them to realize that they weren't afraid of pressing the red button and just blowing the whole thing up if the union didn't back off on its retardation.

-Mike

As a brand most people here probably LIKE Colt, but their management sucks donkey balls. They could have pretty much raped the middle to upper end of the AR market no problem and raked in some cash, but by failure to develop their product line, they missed out on a lot of cash.

It's been more than "several" it's been the better part of a decade. Guns like the 6920 have been around for civvy consumption a long time now. I mean all they really needed to do was develop something more than just the 6920 and 6940 and switch it up with some furniture, stocks, and muzzle device options and they would have had instant winners because of the brand... maybe throw some midlength gassed guns in the mix. and they failed to do even that.

The union thing is a big problem for them, they should have jettisoned the building there a long time ago and moved elsewhere. Or at least put that in front of the union to get them to realize that they weren't afraid of pressing the red button and just blowing the whole thing up if the union didn't back off on its retardation.

-Mike

Right on there Mike... the issues they have aren't all public... although many issues are obvious .... I do have a friend .... so I have a pretty good idea of the past 10 years... all of their problems go back to the investors raping the crap out of the company.. people in management knew what needed to be done long ago... the pillagers weren't interested.. I'm holding out hope.. they can turn it around..

Back
Top Bottom