Colt Vs SW

In terms of rifles,
Is there a significant advantage or build quality difference in colt and S&W?

Thanks!

Personally , I see a huge difference in fit function and initial quality between the 2 when it comes AR style rifles

again this is my personal opinion from handling Hundreds of these rifles a year

that said , they will both serve the intended purpose, but my vote would be for the Colt

Ah - ok. Not 3-gun or hunting or something like that, at least now. I have limited experience with the S&W M&P line, but love my Colt ARs. For bolt action, I enjoy shooting my Browning X-Bolt.

Are there other options you have? Colt is meh but they haven't really done much other than f*** over their customers and then go crawling back to them. Plus no wow you features.... even free state 69xx Rifles go for like 1400+ and usually it's a milspec gun you can get from fn for more money(hint they sub out some of their government stuff to fn) so if your looking for an m4 get an fn. I have a lot of ars and have shot many more.

Ymmv
But if I got a stock gun here's what I'm doing.
Some flat 3.5 pound trigger
Bcm gun fighter handle and butt stock
Magpul k2 hand grip
Bcm key mod rail
2 point qd swivel sling
Magpul stubby grip
Sig romeo 5
1200 lumen rail light.

Again my preference but added to the price of a colt your looking at daniel defense money right there maybe even knights... so look into higher end ars

I have a Colt and had an M&P Tactical. The workmanship on the Smith was excellent. I just liked my Colt better and it "seemed" to be slightly higher quality. But I would have no problem with another Smith again. My2c worth what you paid for it.

Did the OP mention models or only manufacturers?

Thr Colt 6920 is still one of the best off the shelf guns, hands down. There's a reason they sell quickly. Can you do better for less? Yes, but not at putz level retail, you have to build it out yourself, to some degree. If you're switched on like that though, you're not really in the market for an M&P or even a Colt anymore. It's like the difference between those who shop at deli ticket emporium and the people who graduated out.

Are there other options you have? Colt is meh but they haven't really done much other than f*** over their customers and then go crawling back to them. Plus no wow you features.... even free state 69xx Rifles go for like 1400+ and usually it's a milspec gun you can get from fn for more money(hint they sub out some of their government stuff to fn) so if your looking for an m4 get an fn. I have a lot of ars and have shot many more.

Ymmv
But if I got a stock gun here's what I'm doing.
Some flat 3.5 pound trigger
Bcm gun fighter handle and butt stock
Magpul k2 hand grip
Bcm key mod rail
2 point qd swivel sling
Magpul stubby grip
Sig romeo 5
1200 lumen rail light.

Again my preference but added to the price of a colt your looking at daniel defense money right there maybe even knights... so look into higher end ars
Right now you are not even sniffing the box a DD comes in for what a 6920 sells for.

Right now you are not even sniffing the box a DD comes in for what a 6920 sells for.
Hey look at that they went down in price I thought they used to be 1500.

Still 1050 for the rifle.

Butt stock 60 bucks
Grip 25
Cmc flat trigger 225
Charging handle 30 bucks
Anti walk pins 25 bucks
New front rail 225
Rail sections for mlok 25 bucks
Front grip 15 bucks
Your close to 1700 from what I'd have to do to want a 6920...

Hey look at that they went down in price I thought they used to be 1500.

About $1250 or so at retail

Still 1050 for the rifle.

Butt stock 60 bucks
Grip 25
Cmc flat trigger 225
Charging handle 30 bucks
Anti walk pins 25 bucks
New front rail 225
Rail sections for mlok 25 bucks
Front grip 15 bucks
Your close to 1700 from what I'd have to do to want a 6920...

Yes and again you're still not sniffing a DD for under two grand and it's still probably going to have a marginal trigger in it. Most guns need to be gussied-up there's no way around it. And most of the shit you mentioned really isn't necessary. If you know what you're doing a 6920 doesn't have any value but it has perfect value to recommend as a rifle for somebody who doesn't know much what they're doing... as a starter rifle that will just work (seemingly forever) and give them a minimal amount of BS. A noob can take a 6920 throw an optic on it and start training and spend the rest of their money on ammo and training and not have to dick with the rifle much more than that....

Admittedly none of this matters because in a few weeks is all of this shit is going to be very expensive even the trash grade rifles. I've seen this movie before the trash grade guns cost 1500 bucks under full retard conditions. So it's more of a matter of what somebody can get their hands on right now frankly and what their budget is....

About $1250 or so at retail

Yes and again you're still not sniffing a DD for under two grand and it's still probably going to have a marginal trigger in it. Most guns need to be gussied-up there's no way around it. And most of the shit you mentioned really isn't necessary. If you know what you're doing a 6920 doesn't have any value but it has perfect value to recommend as a rifle for somebody who doesn't know much what they're doing... as a starter rifle that will just work (seemingly forever) and give them a minimal amount of BS. A noob can take a 6920 throw an optic on it and start training and spend the rest of their money on ammo and training and not have to dick with the rifle much more than that....
Free state here so I just went off list prices on google

And your right smith and wesson will probably be serviceable... hell it was my first rifle colt will work better long term..

But honestly if I could go back and do it over I'd build my first one with mostly bcm stuff

Admittedly none of this matters because in a few weeks is all of this shit is going to be very expensive even the trash grade rifles. I've seen this movie before the trash grade guns cost 1500 bucks under full retard conditions. So it's more of a matter of what somebody can get their hands on right now frankly and what their budget is....
Sadly, true.

I had a dealer recently offer me a new Colt 6920 for $1700, at that price I’d rather have 2 M&P’s I think. I’ve owned both a Colt and an M&P and didn’t see a major difference between them as far as accuracy or reliability but neither rifle saw more than a thousand rounds through them. Either way I don’t own any rifle that wasn’t assembled from parts that I picked out myself. Putting together a rifle will always be a better option than a buying a production rifle in my opinion.

If you are just going to the range once in a while. There is no difference. If you have a specific need for your rifle, then get the one that fits that need

I wonder where colt gets their parts these days? Also SW
at one point they where getting them from here
SW was actually subbing out to STAG in the early days?
Whos doing all the forging these days?

Comes done to CQ and inspections I guess. IF its all "mil-spec" and they are inspecting to "mil spec" then they should not be any better or worse than the other mil spec rifles out there.

Now if they go beyond mil spec quality, meaning "better" , thats where the price difference comes in.

My friend bought one of those dirt cheap Bear Creek ARs a few years ago. Hes a completely abusive a**h*** to his guns, also why he owns a high point. He runs the cheapest ammo he can find. So far hes only called me once to get a double jam unstuck. It is a pos but it just keeps going. shoots to about 2 moa

Back
Top Bottom