• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

COMBAT FOCUS SHOOTING CLASS W/ ROB PINCUSS - Which gun to train with....

Coming 2 day class in September. I have a Glock17 & 27, and I have more practice in with the 17 but, the 27 was to be my CCW. I went to the range this week with my 27 and did quit well from 5 & 7 yards considering I hadn't used it since February!! I'm thinking of taking both with me, and practice with the 27, as to get quicker with follow-up shots. Also have been looking into a gen4 19 or 26 but, can't decide.

Any recommendations/ thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Glock 27 may be a bit rough due to recoil.

I think on both days you'll shoot about 700 rounds.

700 x .40 = lots of $

A Glock is the perfect gun for this class.

You want something super reliable so you want have much down time.

Bring the 27 as back-up.

Glock 27 may be a bit rough due to recoil.

I think on both days you'll shoot about 700 rounds.

700 x .40 = lots of $

A Glock is the perfect gun for this class.

You want something super reliable so you want have much down time.

Bring the 27 as back-up.

Yes, I was thinking Glock17 all the way, unless I get needed trigger time with the G27 within 3 weks!

• One Eye Closed: Rob gave a long lecture complete with illustration on why it’s undesirable and even impossible to accurately fire with both eyes open. I found this odd as I spent most of the class firing with both open with no issues. I hardly think I’m the only one capable of such feats. Although for pinpoint shots I needed to close one eye, hitting the 8” area at 7y was no problem. Although I think it’s fine to always fire with one eye closed why not leave both open if you can?

OMFG.

be sure to practice your nondiagnosticlinearmalfunctionclearing and criticalincidentreloads so that during a dynamiccriticalincident it wontgetyoukilledonthestreet

I think what facial hair you will have is more important. The cardiac kid's sharpie beard is great if you sign up for the class, never go, but say you did. The long goatee will protect your chin when ditch diving and looks bad ass in those down range pictures. The Pincus goatee says those that can teach, teach. Those that can do, do. And those the can't do either...they come up with cool three word phrases.

You'll be fine with the G17, esp. if you have std. capacity mags. Not the 10 rd crap MA residents are supposed to be stuck with.

Bring at least three mags and a good OWB holster and mag pouches.

Be prepared for some insults.

And have a good time.

1. Gun doesn't matter.
2. Consider other classes besides CFS. Read this AAR before signing up.

The only advise regarding guns, without getting into caliber wars, replace 27 with a 26.

After reading the reviews about CFS, I think Robert Vogel would have been a better choice. Pull-out, or not to pull-out is now the question.

Is this training worth $350?

After reading the reviews about CFS, I think Robert Vogel would have been a better choice. Pull-out, or not to pull-out is now the question.

Well, as someone who took the course, I'll say you haven't wasted your money. View it as an opportunity to experience Pincus' teaching style first hand. And then go from there. Everyone's going to be different. I view going to courses the same way the late Paul Gomez did. And if you haven't heard of him before, check out his vids on YT. Soft spoken, experienced and had some great insights. Another gone too soon. I think if he had lived he would've gotten a lot more recognition. Anyway, his attitude was to take the course and take away the good, and leave the bad. He would take courses from people and start in their level one, even though he was far more experienced than sometimes even the instructor.

Anyway, IIRC, Pincus has changed his attitude on dry fire, and as far as the guy's "bring back the gun" portion of the review, I'll just recommend that you ask Rob why and have him and the other instructors demonstrate the reason why they recommend returning the pistol to "high compressed ready" when you stop shooting.

If you can go to Vogel's class, I would. He can actually shoot well.

If not, I'm sure you will get something out of Pinkys class

You may learn some things, but you will have to filter out the BS "system". $350 sounds like a decent deal, but personally, I would look for somebody with better credentials and reputation.
What are you trying to learn? Shooting mechanics, "concealed carry"? Have you had any formal training before?

As someone who has taken both the CFS and Advanced classes, I'd run the 27 if that will be your CCW. I ran a 30S and a 19, was MUCH more accurate, and ultimately faster with the 19.

As to RP's "style", it depends how thick your skin is. The subject matter is serious, but he keeps things light. You should expect to get called out on technique and mental errors.

Back
Top Bottom