• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

COMBAT FOCUS SHOOTING CLASS W/ ROB PINCUSS - Which gun to train with....

You may learn some things, but you will have to filter out the BS "system". $350 sounds like a decent deal, but personally, I would look for somebody with better credentials and reputation.
What are you trying to learn? Shooting mechanics, "concealed carry"? Have you had any formal training before?

andy t: I'm taking this class for concealed carry. I don't have much time in with the 27 (1200 rounds in 3 years) because I'm better with the 17, but I don't see carrying it in warm weather. The only training I have is Intro to IDPA with Jon Greene (great class)!

Truth be told, the gun I carry most (PM 9) and the way I carry (pocket) is the one I haven't done any formal training with. Obviously, it is better to train with what you use everyday, but you learn enough things when using a different gun.
Not having personal experience with Vogel nor Pincus, but solely based on reviews/reputation, I would try Vogel first, and Pincus as a distant second, but only with my BS meter set to high. It seems that his "system", jargon and franchised trainers are there only to make him "different" and thus more "marketable".
I was lucky enough to take Tom Givens' Combative Pistol as my first class. And I can't recommend it enough. Tom combines various aspects of concealed carry - gun manipulation, mindset, and aftermath into a clear and concise program without any bullshit marketing speak or gimmicks. He is scheduled to be here next year, and I highly recommend him.
Also, despite my love/hate relationship with Sig Sauer academy, consider taking one of their pistol classes, or just practice more on your own.

Anyway, his attitude was to take the course and take away the good, and leave the bad. He would take courses from people and start in their level one, even though he was far more experienced than sometimes even the instructor.

I can appreciate his attitude on this and understand where he's coming from, but unless a person has a ton of money to blow on classes, why not just take a class taught by someone who isn't an *******?

Truth be told, the gun I carry most (PM 9) and the way I carry (pocket) is the one I haven't done any formal training with. Obviously, it is better to train with what you use everyday, but you learn enough things when using a different gun.
Not having personal experience with Vogel nor Pincus, but solely based on reviews/reputation, I would try Vogel first, and Pincus as a distant second, but only with my BS meter set to high. It seems that his "system", jargon and franchised trainers are there only to make him "different" and thus more "marketable".
I was lucky enough to take Tom Givens' Combative Pistol as my first class. And I can't recommend it enough. Tom combines various aspects of concealed carry - gun manipulation, mindset, and aftermath into a clear and concise program without any bullshit marketing speak or gimmicks. He is scheduled to be here next year, and I highly recommend him.
Also, despite my love/hate relationship with Sig Sauer academy, consider taking one of their pistol classes, or just practice more on your own.

Thanks andy t, for your suggestions. after looking up reviews on Tom Givens, I'll add him to the list for training. any idea when when & where he'll be around here?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom