• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Combat Shoots

I know some people have answered the "What's a Combat Shoot?" question but I'd like to elaborate...
The full name is Combat Tactical Shoot (CTS) at Nenameseck in Palmer. It's a hybrid of 3-Gun, IDPA and IPSIC. When the weather is good and we're outside we try to incorporate pistol, rifle and shotgun into the matches. Since we are doing it indoor, its pistol only at the moment but looking into including .22LR rifles. We use IDPA targets along with some steel and clays, and follow basic IDPA rules, but not as strict on the procedural stuff (safety firs of-course) and emphasis is competing against your self more so then other shooters.
The shoot is for those who want to shoot in a competitive atmosphere with other shooters, focus on challenging and improving themselves, and shooting at targets and states that they wouldn't normally see on a range.
It's not really for those who want show that they are better then everyone at the event, and get bent out of shape when someone skates and gets the points while making a small mistake.

I know some people have answered the "What's a Combat Shoot?" question but I'd like to elaborate...
The full name is Combat Tactical Shoot (CTS) at Nenameseck in Palmer. It's a hybrid of 3-Gun, IDPA and IPSIC. When the weather is good and we're outside we try to incorporate pistol, rifle and shotgun into the matches. Since we are doing it indoor, its pistol only at the moment but looking into including .22LR rifles. We use IDPA targets along with some steel and clays, and follow basic IDPA rules, but not as strict on the procedural stuff (safety firs of-course) and emphasis is competing against your self more so then other shooters.
The shoot is for those who want to shoot in a competitive atmosphere with other shooters, focus on challenging and improving themselves, and shooting at targets and states that they wouldn't normally see on a range.
It's not really for those who want show that they are better then everyone at the event, and get bent out of shape when someone skates and gets the points while making a small mistake.

Are these shoots open to the public, or do you have to be a member of Nenameseck?

4 pages of humor. Hmm.

Maybe I can help the OP.
Prior to the inaugural S&W Winter National in 1998, all of us who were working as ROs got to spend some time with Ken Hackathorne going over the philosophy of IDPA and how he felt USPSA (which he was a co-founder) had gone wrong.

He emphasized NORMAL carry guns, normal carry holsters, use of cover, reloading with retention and that kind of thing. He explained that when they formed USPSA, they had not intended it to develop into the game that it had become where totally impractical guns were used with totally impractical holsters and shot in a totally impractical way. (No use of cover, not ammo retention required)

So he started IDPA with stricter rules intending to keep things more focused on eliminating the equipment race.

So with that in mind, I shot the first S&W Winter national with my Glock 26. The hot guns of the day was the 5906 and the 92F.

I did fine. After the second or 3rd match, i bought some pre-ban Glock 17 mags to give me a full length grip and the ability to load 11 rounds into the first mag so I wouldn't have to swap mags after I put one in the chamber. I remember my friend calling me a "gamer" when I bought the G17 mags.

Overall, the 26 was not a bad gun to learn to shoot IDPA on. It forced me to pay attention and really concentrate on the front sight since the sight radius was so short. I had already done a fluff and buff on the gun, but when the G34 came out, I installed a 3.5 lb connector and the difference was impressive. With the softer trigger, the reset could really be worked and it was possible to shoot it pretty well.

In 2000, I got a G34 and my scores went up, but not as much as you would imagine.

The G26, despite its small size is a very soft shooting gun. If you add a G17 mag to it, which lets you get your whole hand on the grip, it gets even better.

I don't own a G30, but I'd have to think that your split times would be somewhat slower simply because of the greater recoil. If I had a choice, I'd take the 26. However, regardless of which one you choose, I'd get some full sized mags from either a 17 or a 21 to use for the "combat shoots".

Don

what's a combat shoot? Do you shoot at each other..

This. WTF is a combat shoot?

I can't believe this. You two?? You should know your history better.

Prior to the sanitized term "practical shooting" being used in the US, the term combat shoot was a common term for these kinds of things.

Jeff Cooper, founder of USPSA originally was involved with the Southwest Combat Pistol League. They referred their events "combat shoots". It stuck and lots of clubs still use the term.

Its interesting, Cooper sanitized the groups name because it offended the CA AG.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom