• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Combative Carbine

Cap

NES Member
Attended a course last weekend and figured I'd do a writeup for anyone interested.

Shot the course with a 14.5" AR + 1x prism optic and some wolf M193. Seemed to be a good fit (engagements from 0-300). LPVO works as well, but the spirit of the course is really pushing the capabilities of a 1x.
Round count is listed as 1,000, but I think we ended up somewhere around 750.

The 2 days consisted of a number of drills/instruction covering:
- Shooting at 7 yards, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 and unknown distances
- Shooting from standing, prone, kneeling, moving, after turning
- Single targets, engaging multiple targets, steel, paper
- Reloads, basic malfunctions, gear tips

The course starts with ample time to confirm a good zero (shooting prone @ 50 yards). There was a good mix of doing close up doing drills like el pres to work reloads and speed, remembering height over bore, etc. , mid-range shooting, and longer range to understand holdovers (and wind adjustment to a degree).

A couple of fun timed drills/competitions that stood out:
- Ladder drill shooting prone, starting with a 100 yard stop plate that has to be hit after every shot that hits targets from 150 - 300.
- 50 yard run to a prone position, ID a target at an unknown distance, and hit on your first or second shot (cold bore at start of second day).
- Day 2 finale, shooting from multiple locations, from multiple positions, hitting multiple targets (including a mover).

I think the course is valuable regardless of your skill level (as long as you know how to safely handle your carbine). Everyone in the class was able to engage at 300 with relative ease.

A big thanks to Blake and Jay for keeping it fun an informative. These guys do a great job and are happy to help when you need it.

The facility is amazing - I'll be back for a CQC or RECCE class.

PXL_20220424_192734364.jpg

PXL_20220424_182108097.jpg

@Cap

Never been to one of these, so interested. Checked them out here an there. May buy myself a course for my 40th, in June.
  1. What was your total ammo load out for the class?
  2. How many mags you bring?
  3. You in tactical gear all day, or how you arrive for class?

thanks 👍

@Cap

Never been to one of these, so interested. Checked them out here an there. May buy myself a course for my 40th, in June.
  1. What was your total ammo load out for the class?
  2. How many mags you bring?
  3. You in tactical gear all day, or how you arrive for class?

thanks 👍

1. They say to bring 1k rounds, but we ended up short of that (~700 ish?)

2. 4 mags does the trick. Most of the time you're loading them up to 10 rounds. Depending on the drill you might have 10, 24, 26, 30, etc. loaded in there. There's breaks between to reload mags for whatever is next.

3. First day starts with some classroom time, then you head out to grab your stuff and hit the range to zero. You can be as tactical timmy as you want, but the only thing you really need is a single mag carrier on your belt for reload drills. A dump pouch also helps.

I didn't bring any, but knee pads might be a good idea since you'll spend a lot of time transitioning to kneeling and prone.

How late in the day did the course run too? im a few hours away, would most likely get a room somewhere but just curious.

I have stayed in the Hampton Inn in Littleton before for something unrelated. No complaints. Crapplebees in the parking lot and easy walking distance to the 99. There are MUCH better food venues in the area though.

Just signed up for the course the weekend of 10/28
Took the scoped carbine a couple years ago and I’m hyped to get up there again, especially after seeing their site improvements on IG.

Edit: if I understood the website right during check out there’s five spots left as of this post.

Last edited:
Just signed up for the course the weekend of 10/28
Took the scoped carbine a couple years ago and I’m hyped to get up there again, especially after seeing their site improvements on IG.

Edit: if I understood the website right during check out there’s five spots left as of this post.
Sounds like a great course. If I manage enough consulting income in 2023 (I’m retired) I’ll give it a go in 2024. The $575 for two days is reasonable for what’s offered (and cheaper than SIG) but the ammo pushes it up to about $1k.

Looks like you had a great course and learned a lot.

Ridgeline is top tier. The facility, which is the best facility in new england hands down and is challenging bigger facilities nationwide, is amazing.

I havent even trained at the facility in 3-4 years, but i have trained with Ridgeline's cadre at least once a year out on the road, and they are top tier even without the facility. Ive trained with a lot of instructors, and there are not many who put as much development into themselves and their program as Ridgeline's. Every time i train with them the course gets better or evolves, it is never the same cookie cutter repackaged deal.

Im happy to call Alex, Jay, Rudy, Blake, Matt, all of them friends and training partners and to have watched them grow from a hope and a prayer to what they are today. You truly are hard pressed to do better, and like i said these guys get better every single day.

Back
Top Bottom