Combination Trigger Locks - Any good?

just for a point of clarification as I know the case is locked...technically....

Soft case where the zipper handle slides through the little metal loop as the end of the case.....I use either a smaller master pad lock or a cable lock through the hole in the zipper handle....

Does that meet the requirement? Only because I drive an suv and I don't qualify for the "or locked trunk" part

just for a point of clarification as I know the case is locked...technically....

Soft case where the zipper handle slides through the little metal loop as the end of the case.....I use either a smaller master pad lock or a cable lock through the hole in the zipper handle....

Does that meet the requirement? Only because I drive an suv and I don't qualify for the "or locked trunk" part

Yes!

spend the couple of bucks and get a 2 long gun hard lockable case.

I drive and SUV/or a Mustang... so the long guns are either in the back seat or in the back of the suv.

Unloaded and in a locked case.

Most cops are uneducated and would try to screw you if they can... why risk it.

so lets recap.

if its a high cap firearm it must be unloaded, and locked in the trunk or other secure container.

high cap pistol (class a) can be on your direct control, or ^

non high cap long arm must be unloaded, no locking device needed BY LAW

but its a good idea to keep all firearms locked up 1) you dont want them being stolen/used by bad people 2) cops dont know the laws so why chance it?

I keep a book on all the laws written by william m. cloran with me and my guns.

if anyone would like a copy I can post directions on obtaining a copy here.

I bought the book at my LTC-002 class. it was 16$

Last edited:
so lets recap.

if its a high cap firearm it must be unloaded, and locked in the trunk or other secure container.

non high cap must be unloaded, no locking device needed BY LAW

NO!

Another one who failed the RTFD test. [rolleyes]

Yet AGAIN:

What part of

...shall not possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

did you not understand?

IF - again, IF - the gun in question is:

1. ANY handgun; or

2. A "large capacity" long arm; then,

a locked CASE or car trunk is required. PERIOD.

I keep a book on all the laws written by william m. cloran [sic] with me and my guns.

Suggestion: Instead of using it for companionship, try reading it....

I was talking about a "low" capacity long gun...
not a handgun or large capacity.

I do read it, it dosent make refrence to "low capacity...the laws are hard to understand and i am trying my best to understand/memorize them...i do notice that some are unclear tho.

(for the record I keep mine unloaded/locked in case all the time anyhow)

"long arms of low cap?"

Since they are wholly absent from the statutory criteria, NONE!
When my trunk is filled with all those statutorily-required guns, I throw the -'03 or Garand on the back seat. Of course, I'm going directly to/from the range, which is in my town, so my exposure to cops who don't know the law is, shall we say, minimal. [wink]

I was talking about a "low" capacity long gun...
not a handgun or large capacity.

That is NOT what you said. Let me refresh your memory:

Originally Posted by Doctordrew

so lets recap.

non high cap must be unloaded, no locking device needed BY LAW

Reference to a "high cap pistol," followed directly by a reference to "non high cap." Sounds like yet another pistol reference to me - unless you can show the reference to a long arm in there. [rolleyes]

Not to mention your question having already been answered TWICE by the time of your pointless repitition...

what i meant was low cap long arm, i fixed it...
im sorry if i stated what was said in the last few pages again, i was trying to "put it all in one place." so its easier, like i said "recap"

im not trying to start a fight or continue one, im sorry for the misunderstanding here.[grin]

HARDLY.

What part of

...shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

did you not understand?

IF - again, IF - the gun in question is:

1. ANY handgun; or

2. A "large capacity" long arm; then,

a locked CASE or car trunk is required. PERIOD.

Note the complete absence of any reference to a trigger lock. [rolleyes]

I was trying to figure out the rhyme and reason to gun show dealers loading up their vans at a show, recently. You have explained the reasoning behind certain rifles being stored in soft rifle bags versus other rifles being stored in hard LOCKED cases.

Dealers apparently only follow the letter of the law in order to save the cost of cases and be able to maximize the amount that they can carry in the van.

This is fascinating to me. I saw a fellow load up twenty rifles and most of them of them were in the back of a VAN in UNLOCKED soft cases, which most people on this board probably think is illegal in MA.

Bill

Last edited:
This is fascinating to me. I saw a fellow load up twenty rifles and most of them of them were in the back of a VAN in UNLOCKED soft cases, which most people on this board probably think is illegal in MA.

It may be that:

1. They don't know the law;

2. They modified the van so there is no access from the cockpit (thus attempting to make a "locked trunk" where there was none); OR

3. They think they won't get caught.

It may be that:

1. They don't know the law;

2. They modified the van so there is no access from the cockpit (thus attempting to make a "locked trunk" where there was none); OR

3. They think they won't get caught.

It might also be the case that:

1. The long guns aren't large capacity;

2. They're unloaded; and

3. The person has read, understood and is adhering to the law as described by infinitely knowledgeable people on this thread.

Ken

It might also be the case that:

1. The long guns aren't large capacity;

2. They're unloaded; and

3. The person has read, understood and is adhering to the law as described by infinitely knowledgeable people on this thread.

Ken

It is indeed possible.

However, the post referred to "gun show dealers loading up their vans," making the possibility of "large capacity" long arms being involved fairly likely.

A van full of Mosin-Nagants, -'03s or Garands would not be a problem.

I use the combo trigger locks also ...........

The one downside (If you see it that way) is that once you dial them in to open, and set the two parts aside, anyone who picks it up now knows your combination. Depending upon who you travel with, that may or may not be a good thing!

I bought mine on E-Bay, they are "The Club" brand

I saw those, too. But they're not on the "Approved List", so I wasn't sure about getting them.

Holy necro-thread!

Trigger locks don't "work" from a mechanical perspective. If your objective is to simply meet the letter of the law they're good for that. They will not prevent a firearm from discharging.

Holy necro-thread!

Trigger locks don't "work" from a mechanical perspective. If your objective is to simply meet the letter of the law they're good for that. They will not prevent a firearm from discharging.

It totally depends. When I put a Franzen (same style as Master) trigger lock on my J Frame, the post goes behind the trigger and there is no way you are getting the hammer back without getting that post out of the way.

On some other guns, the post goes in front of the trigger and you can pull the trigger by pushing on the trigger lock.

But, I agree - the primary purpose of trigger locks is legal compliance.

that is all I use...can never find those small keys. get the one with the three tumblers.

Any 10 year old with a screwdriver can defeat them, though, so do not actually COUNT on them...unless your kid has proper firearms training from you.

Back
Top Bottom