• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A Sues Boston Police over Passports

citizen_kane.gif

Well, it's a bittersweet victory. We were entitled to judgement in this case and we didn't get it. BPD continues to deny that it was ever their 'policy' to refuse to honor US passports and still maintains that this only happened because a couple officers didn't understand the policy. (They're quick to throw their own under the bus) Okay, so if it wasn't 'policy', it WAS long-standing practice. I remember clearing being told by the officer (retired and name withheld) that I HAD to produce a birth certificate and that my passport was no good.

We will be smacking around any other town that pulls the same bull shit too.

What's stopping these other cities from pulling the same crap? (Or BPD from making the same "mistake" next month for that matter?)

What's stopping these other cities from pulling the same crap? (Or BPD from making the same "mistake" next month for that matter?)
Nothing is stopping them, but that's why we wanted the judgement.
But, they are on notice.

This is how life goes sometimes.

Do not underestimate the power of the message sent however.

They got spanked, and they know it.
I know, you're right. Thanks for that.

Props on the strong work!

Too bad BPD would love to keep fighting stupid battles with the law abiding folks than pursue actual criminals.

Boston Strong

Whatever Stearn's decision, a guy got his license using his passport.

It wasn't the victory we all wanted but a victory nonetheless.

Great work guys. We are lucky to have you on our side. You guys are real, modern day, 3%'ers.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

So my brother in law is a naturalized citizen and I believe Arlington can be added to the list . He has passport and hasn't applied should he get in contact with u fine folks ?

So my brother in law is a naturalized citizen and I believe Arlington can be added to the list . He has passport and hasn't applied should he get in contact with u fine folks ?

Yes, have him contact us ([email protected]). Although I don't think he'll have a problem with Arlington. I had a family of three as recent students and their application process was VERY simple and easy.

I stopped by my PD for renewal and was initially not allowed to proceed due to my lack of naturalization papers. Like Mr. Ngo, I was born outside the US and derived my US citizenship as a minor when my parents were naturalized. Thus, I have no naturalization papers or a US birth certificate. PD stated I could not proceed without either of these papers. I do have a valid US passport that I presented, to no avail.

I was about to leave when the person working the desk at the last minute found a handwritten note in her ledger book stating that US passports were to be accepted for proof of citizenship. Regardless, I did have to come back at a later date to do the renewal as my expiration date is not for 6 months.

However, this concerns me that departments still don't know. What if I come back in 4 months to do the renewal for real and somebody else processing the application simply doesn't know or doesn't remember?

I stopped by my PD for renewal and was initially not allowed to proceed due to my lack of naturalization papers. Like Mr. Ngo, I was born outside the US and derived my US citizenship as a minor when my parents were naturalized. Thus, I have no naturalization papers or a US birth certificate. PD stated I could not proceed without either of these papers. I do have a valid US passport that I presented, to no avail.

I was about to leave when the person working the desk at the last minute found a handwritten note in her ledger book stating that US passports were to be accepted for proof of citizenship. Regardless, I did have to come back at a later date to do the renewal as my expiration date is not for 6 months.

However, this concerns me that departments still don't know. What if I come back in 4 months to do the renewal for real and somebody else processing the application simply doesn't know or doesn't remember?

Please contact Comm2a and let them know what town it was.

So essentially, an applicant had to prove he's not here on a visa or is an illegal alien. While it may indeed be a statutory requirement, it really smacks of a "papers, please" mentality.

Makes me wonder if they'd have him do so if his last name wasn't Ngo.

I'm speculating that if his last name began with an o instead of ended with one somehow there would be an exception to policy [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom