• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Commonwealth responsible for the entire licensing system - Really? No more local police issuing licenses?

Reptile

NES Member
What is this about?
I got an email from GOAL.
The local police will no longer be issuing LTC's?
Is this a good idea?
Maybe a great idea since nobody can be denied on "suitability".

What is this about?
Is this a good idea?

Where's this coming from? Like, where is GOAL getting it from?

Where's this coming from? Like, where is GOAL getting it from?
From their email today. They have a proposal in that would remove suitability from chiefs, etc. (Bolding mine)

For Immediate Release

July 27, 2022

Contact: Jim Wallace Executive Director 978-618-1331 [email protected]

Gun Owners’ Action League Condemns the Massachusetts House of Representatives for its Action Against Civil Rights

FIX IT NOW!!

Boston – On July 27, 2022 Gun Owners’ Action League (GOAL) is gathering at the State House to push for corrections to Massachusetts gun laws in light of the recent Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) decision in NYSRPA v. Bruen.

The gathering was originally intended to push for support of HD.5245 An Relative to Restoring Civil Rights, filed by Representative Jefferey Turco. The legislation would make at least some corrections to Massachusetts gun laws needed to comply with Bruen. These include repealing restrictions on licenses, local discretionary/suitability standards, and carry restrictions in recreational laws that are all now unconstitutional. It would also make the Commonwealth responsible for the entire licensing system, something they currently deny responsibility for. Since scheduling the day at the State House, a second purpose has materialized.

On Thursday, July 21, 2022 the Massachusetts House leadership launched a sneak attack on civil rights. With no warning to the Second Amendment community or police chiefs, an amendment to impose further restrictions was snuck in as an amendment to a Judiciary IT bill.

“What the House did to our community, and the way they did it was simply unconscionable,” said Jim Wallace, Executive Director of GOAL. “Rather than take up our very reasonable bill that would have brought the state into partial compliance with the SCOTUS ruling, the House leadership decided to do just the opposite! With not even the courtesy of a heads up, they forced an anti-civil rights amendment into a much-needed judiciary bill. Even most Reps were unaware it was to be taken up. Not even the police chiefs were notified. As far as we are concerned, this was an action by an unrepresentative House!”

GOAL and members will be gathering at the State House on Wednesday, July 27, 2022 from 11 am – 2 pm asking the legislature to FIX IT NOW

Oh ok, now I see what the big plan is, MA state takes over the LTC process, knowing that they do NOT have the staffing resources to handle the hoards of applicants forthcoming and the majority of said applicants are just stuck in line waiting.......... and waiting...........................................................and waiting and just as you are next in line you are "sent away come back tomorrow" because it's 4:50 and the LTC processing office closes at 5:00 . (you all remember how things used to be at the MA RMV's back in the 80's and 90's right ?

If they're taking discretion away from CoPs and applying nothing but statutory disqualifiers, then why should the local po-po have anything to do with it?

If anything, centralizing it at state level would theoretically reduce abuses by mistakes or whims of local CoPs. But then, this is Massachusetts, where they can't even make sure commuter trains don't catch fire or runaway, so I'd expect them to screw this up too.

If they're taking discretion away from CoPs and applying nothing but statutory disqualifiers, then why should the local po-po have anything to do with it?

If anything, centralizing it at state level would theoretically reduce abuses by mistakes or whims of local CoPs. But then, this is Massachusetts, where they can't even make sure commuter trains don't catch fire or runaway, so I'd expect them to screw this up too.
So, Branch offices throughout the state? Or everyone goes into Beantown...?

So, Branch offices throughout the state? Or everyone goes into Beantown...?

Theoretically? No reason to go anywhere at all. Because now there's no interview, really, or at least no need for one.

In a well-run state, this could be done as easily as car registration. Go in once to lay out your paperwork and get rubber-stamped, then renewals could just be a website and a credit card.

This is not, however, a well-run state.

Theoretically? No reason to go anywhere at all. Because now there's no interview, really, or at least no need for one.

In a well-run state, this could be done as easily as car registration. Go in once to lay out your paperwork and get rubber-stamped, then renewals could just be a website and a credit card.

This is not, however, a well-run state.
Lol. Don't forget insurance stamp...

Does anyone here really think the MA legislature will willingly doing anything to make gun ownership less of a hassle?
If so, I've got a bri ... nope, not going to do it. Not going to run the risk of being prosecuted for taking advantage of the seriously mentally deficient.

Nothing good will come of this.

Last edited:
What is this about?
Is this a good idea?
Thanks for the sharing the Email. Great story bro.

For a conspiracy theorist and Alex Jones lover, sometimes you dont see it. Let me explain it as clearly and direct as I can --- If the State of MA wants to take over this now, there is absolutely NO WAY it will be a good idea. NO WAY.

Oh ok, now I see what the big plan is, MA state takes over the LTC process, knowing that they do NOT have the staffing resources to handle the hoards of applicants forthcoming and the majority of said applicants are just stuck in line waiting.......... and waiting...........................................................and waiting and just as you are next in line you are "sent away come back tomorrow" because it's 4:50 and the LTC processing office closes at 5:00 . (you all remember how things used to be at the MA RMV's back in the 80's and 90's right ?
Better ... they make everyone in MA go to one tiny office in the middle of Boston. Get raped with parking, if you live 2hrs away, you need to take the entire day off.

The place is only open Tuesday through Thursday so the day off has to be as inconvenient as possible and only 10-3pm.

Even if you live across the street you will probably need a day off because they will make it first come first serve. GOOD LUCK.

That is what I see them doing.

Edit: BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER!

The next State of MA vaccine mandate, only vaccinated people will be able to access the State govt building. Good luck renewing.

Last edited:
Better ... they make everyone in MA go to one tiny office in the middle of Boston. Get raped with parking, if you live 2hrs away, you need to take the entire day off.

The place is only open Tuesday through Thursday so the day off has to be as inconvenient as possible and only 10-3pm.

Even if you live across the street you will probably need a day off because they will make it first come first serve. GOOD LUCK.

That is what I see them doing.

Edit: BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER!

The next State of MA vaccine mandate, only vaccinated people will be able to access the State govt building. Good luck renewing.
I'd rather go "Off the LTC Grid"...

Thanks for the sharing the Email. Great story bro.

For a conspiracy theorist and Alex Jones lover, sometimes you dont see it. Let me explain it as clearly and direct as I can --- If the State of MA wants to take over this now, there is absolutely NO WAY it will be a good idea. NO WAY.
The state doesn’t necessarily want it, this is merely GOAL’s proposed bill that doesn’t have bipartisan support yet.

From their email today. They have a proposal in that would remove suitability from chiefs, etc. (Bolding mine)

For Immediate Release

July 27, 2022

Contact: Jim Wallace Executive Director 978-618-1331 [email protected]

Gun Owners’ Action League Condemns the Massachusetts House of Representatives for its Action Against Civil Rights

FIX IT NOW!!

Boston – On July 27, 2022 Gun Owners’ Action League (GOAL) is gathering at the State House to push for corrections to Massachusetts gun laws in light of the recent Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) decision in NYSRPA v. Bruen.

The gathering was originally intended to push for support of HD.5245 An Relative to Restoring Civil Rights, filed by Representative Jefferey Turco. The legislation would make at least some corrections to Massachusetts gun laws needed to comply with Bruen. These include repealing restrictions on licenses, local discretionary/suitability standards, and carry restrictions in recreational laws that are all now unconstitutional. It would also make the Commonwealth responsible for the entire licensing system, something they currently deny responsibility for. Since scheduling the day at the State House, a second purpose has materialized.

On Thursday, July 21, 2022 the Massachusetts House leadership launched a sneak attack on civil rights. With no warning to the Second Amendment community or police chiefs, an amendment to impose further restrictions was snuck in as an amendment to a Judiciary IT bill.

“What the House did to our community, and the way they did it was simply unconscionable,” said Jim Wallace, Executive Director of GOAL. “Rather than take up our very reasonable bill that would have brought the state into partial compliance with the SCOTUS ruling, the House leadership decided to do just the opposite! With not even the courtesy of a heads up, they forced an anti-civil rights amendment into a much-needed judiciary bill. Even most Reps were unaware it was to be taken up. Not even the police chiefs were notified. As far as we are concerned, this was an action by an unrepresentative House!”

GOAL and members will be gathering at the State House on Wednesday, July 27, 2022 from 11 am – 2 pm asking the legislature to FIX IT NOW
That is a GOAL proposed bill that was not acted upon, correct? I don't see the legislature going for this anyway... The title and OP suggest that the state wants to do this.

Yeah...I can see the local LOs / CsOP allowing the power of "discretion" to be taken away.

How many towns exceed the State's requirements (Letters of Reference, letters of explanation, failure to accept Hunter Ed certs (explicitly stated in MGLs as OK for FID/ltc issuance), or refuse to comply with the 40-day time limit.

I wish my GOAL friends the best, but.....

The previous system is so stupid that it failed. I couldn’t even file for a f***ing hunting license online this year after a decade I had to go to Walmart. They’re just gonna pimp our licenses out to a third-party…

Whatever I don’t even give a f*** anyway.

If they were just take a minute to think about the laws they write maybe get some input from people who know what they’re talking about laws wouldn’t be such a terrible thing..

This is Massachusetts just going full retard because they lost in court(I know it was an out-of-state ruling but it clearly affected this state)

But I’m glad I’ll be able to see Massachusetts lose but when they do they’ll just double down and we have to go down there every three months for a license

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom