• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Communication Speakers

Motorola or GE will give you the best sound at high volume although most any 4 inch speaker will be better than the tiny ones mounted in radios.
There's all kinds of them listed on e gay and the prices are all over the place.....some are excellent for the product.

Here's a link to some with the plug on e gay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorola-speaker-ham-cb-external-/251247079835?hash=item3a7f7e319b:m:m2HhhMcKXjYVQr4bPFitfFA

I ordered the ones in the link. I have seen them before but didn't notice they are Motorola brand. I'll be sure to post my thoughts one I've had a chance to use them. Thanks for your input.

Motorola speakers are the best, they're the only ones that will almost never have cabinet resonance (anyone who has heard this before knows what I'm talking about, its when the speaker cabinet start to "ring" when certain sounds come through the speaker, and its obnoxious) and they are loud as ****. Same probably holds true for other commercial radio speakers as well. They're designed to be loud and take a beating.

-Mike

Motorola speakers are the best, they're the only ones that will almost never have cabinet resonance (anyone who has heard this before knows what I'm talking about, its when the speaker cabinet start to "ring" when certain sounds come through the speaker, and its obnoxious) and they are loud as ****. Same probably holds true for other commercial radio speakers as well. They're designed to be loud and take a beating.

-Mike
I've decided to try the speakers in the link. The auction is for two of them. I'm not convinced they will work well in a noisy environment. So I may end up with a powered Motorola one in the end. But like most hams I've got a bunch of radios I can use external speakers on so they most definitely won't go to waste. Like I said earlier I'll be sure to post my thoughts about the ones I've ordered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've decided to try the speakers in the link. The auction is for two of them. I'm not convinced they will work well in a noisy environment. So I may end up with a powered Motorola one in the end. But like most hams I've got a bunch of radios I can use external speakers on so they most definitely won't go to waste. Like I said earlier I'll be sure to post my thoughts about the ones I've ordered.

You won't need a powered moto, the regular one is good enough to blow you out of your seat. Even with the windows down in my 89 tempo, I don't think I ever got the volume knob on my 706 at the time anywhere above like, noontime... At one time I think I had a powered moto and I ended up just bypassing the amp because RF kept getting into the amp anyways, and I wasn't about to waste ferrite on a speaker. [laugh]

-Mike

You won't need a powered moto, the regular one is good enough to blow you out of your seat. Even with the windows down in my 89 tempo, I don't think I ever got the volume knob on my 706 at the time anywhere above like, noontime... At one time I think I had a powered moto and I ended up just bypassing the amp because RF kept getting into the amp anyways, and I wasn't about to waste ferrite on a speaker. [laugh]

-Mike
Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom