• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Company Forbids Off-Duty Carry of Firearms on Property?

If you don't answer the phone you can't be called in.
I was in high school well before called ID. Everyone I worked in a restaurant with knew you NEVER answered you home phone unless you were prepared to go in to work (saying no was not an option if you wanted decent hours the next week). My family knew to never say that I was home unless they knew who it was - it was always "I will see if he's here".

My work has a gun policy. I have to have it. They try to call me in, and I say: sorry... im 4 beers deep, cant carry gun. Your policy not mine. Then I lol

I have a cop and a ATP pilot friend who have both used that. Its inarguable. Thats whats so perfect. Unless you are on standby. But you get paid to be on standby.

Last edited:
There have been hospitals who (successfully) implemented "no tobacco" policies. Not just no smoking on the property, but no smoking (or other tobacco use) period. And they enforced it with random testing.

So: yes, the company can get away with this no matter how stupid it sounds.

There have been hospitals who (successfully) implemented "no tobacco" policies. Not just no smoking on the property, but no smoking (or other tobacco use) period. And they enforced it with random testing.

So: yes, the company can get away with this no matter how stupid it sounds.

I feel that this should be wrong.

If it was government doing this people would scream about freedom. However when a corporation does it it's ok?
How long before the corporations are the government?

I am not talking about on property policy but controlling you at all times on or off the clock.

I was in high school well before called ID. Everyone I worked in a restaurant with knew you NEVER answered you home phone unless you were prepared to go in to work (saying no was not an option if you wanted decent hours the next week). My family knew to never say that I was home unless they knew who it was - it was always "I will see if he's here".

i had a brother who sounded EXACTLY like me who would always answer the phone. it was odd that nobody ever met him.

I have a cop and a ATP pilot friend who have both used that. Its inarguable. Thats whats so perfect. Unless you are on standby. But you get paid to be on standby.
The ATP pilot can even say "I'm totally sober, but with the 8 hour rule".

After seeing how many employees go after our workman's comp when they injure themselves skiing "at work" on their day off, I can understand where the company is coming from with that policy, even if I don't agree with it. You get into some grey areas when someone is an employee on the property even though they are not on the clock, regardless of being open to the public. We have some policies like this. I'm not allowed to have more than two drinks at the bar, even though non employees just can't get tanked. There are certain places I'm not supposed to park, but customers can, etc.
I'm all good to carry though. In fact, a co-worker and I were practicing mag changes and transitions on the front lawn after work today.[rofl]

It's about liability.

The fact that an employee is "off duty" will not insulate the employer from being a target in a suit if said employee causes injury or death (even if legal and appropriate). In fact, the fact that this employer does it helps contribute to a "prevailing standard" and makes it just a bit easier to "prove" that any employer without such a policy is acting negligently.

Does the OP work at Hallmark?
We've become aware of the fact that you ban guns at your corporate headquarters. Why? We believe the reason is because guns add a significant measure of danger to any environment. Yet you allow guns in the 2,400 Hallmark Gold Crown® stores when you have the legal right to ban them.

Seems to me that this had already been covered by the thread about Earl's in Texas. Consensus is that a business owner has the right to establish the rules he or she wants on his or her private property.

This was articulated quite emphatically so it seems to me case closed. The fact that it applied to gays and not gun owners should be irrelevant IMO. Thanks OP for posting this cuz I want to see how many people are gonna hem and haw and waffle on their previous position 'bout the rights of business owners and property owners to do what they damn well please. Hope this thread takes off , like a blazing rocket ship to Mars. [popcorn]

From my perspective concealed means concealed and if you get caught be willing to face the consequences, but that's just me. What you do on your own time is your business but your employer might not see it that way. Discretion is the better part of valor .

Yeah, Im sure that the person planning workplace violence that this rule was put into place for will abide by the rules. Criminals love to follow rules. LOL

Yeah, Im sure that the person planning workplace violence that this rule was put into place for will abide by the rules. Criminals love to follow rules. LOL

All true. But it doesn't change the fact that a person who is hiring other people to work for him legitimately has the right to dictate the restrictions on whether or not their employee can carry on the job.

Back
Top Bottom