Compensator for a post-ban MA rifle, .223 and quiet?

I am looking for a compensator to put on a post-ban rifle in MA. I don't want a muzzle brake, because .223 doesn't have any recoil that a gorilla like me would notice, and I value what's left of my hearing after many years of shooting. Basically, I want something quiet that is not considered a "Flash hider" in MA, so it can be permanently pinned and welded to the barrel. Being able to counteract muzzle climb is nice, but not strictly required. Price is unimportant to me.

I am looking at the following options:
Wilson Combat Q-comp
BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 Compensator
Griffin Armament M4SD

The above are advertised as either compensators or brakes. Is this enough to keep MA happy? Am I missing other good (quiet) MA compliant options? A referral to a knowledgeable and competent gunsmith in MA would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the Wilson you listed. I know a couple people with the BCM, and I believe it's less noisy than chamber style brakes. I haven't used the Griffin linear comp specifically, but I have a linear from Kaw Valley and another from a defunct shop and I'd pick a linear if I were most concerned about noise. They are the least recoil effective compensator style, but in 5.56 who cares?

Or just pin a thread protector on, I suppose

Could anybody clue me in as to the difference between BCM Mod 0 and BCM mod 1? Are both of them mass compliant? Is Mod 1 better ?

I have heard good things about that Griffin linear comp, but it has not been in stock anywhere for quite some time. I’ve had in-stock alerts on it at a few websites since before the rona. I have a feeling they’re not making it anymore.

Could anybody clue me in as to the difference between BCM Mod 0 and BCM mod 1? Are both of them mass compliant? Is Mod 1 better ?
Length. The Mod 0 is the same length as an A2 flash hider. The Mod 1 is long enough to pin and weld on a 14.5” barrel to

I have the Wilson q comp on my 10.5 sbr. I do like it. like you said Not like it needs to mitigate much recoil woth 556... If you ever get out toward Springfield shoot me a pm. Maybe we can have you try it out before you buy and see if you like it. It’s not welded on so we could even screw it onto your rifle and see the results with your actual equipment.

Edit. Dave santuri is out near you and a reputable gunsmith. I can’t recall the other one I’m thinking of. Someone will chime in I’m sure.

Primary weapon systems makes a combo comp/flash hider that has some flash hiding characteristics but ATF has declared its not classified as a flash hider.

The length of your gas system will also make a big difference in the amount of 'blast' you get from the gun.

My quietest ARs are all plain target crowns no devices. 16" or less is just load.
JP rifle comp is "quiet" vs most brakes i have been with in 3' and 30' degrees of.
Definately quieter than my RRA military style brake!

My quietest ARs are all plain target crowns no devices. 16" or less is just load.
JP rifle comp is "quiet" vs most brakes i have been with in 3' and 30' degrees of.
Definately quieter than my RRA military style brake!
I can't seem to find top quality AR-15 barrels with an 11 degree crown instead of the muzzle threads. Now that the AWB is gone in the USA, save for a handful of communist enclaves, no one seems to make them or have them in stock. I would love to buy a target crown version of 16 inch medium weight barrel (Hanson, Gunner, etc.) with mid-length gas system and an SPR style 18 or 20 inch barrel with rifle length gas system. Neither of which I could find with a target crown.

I can't seem to find top quality AR-15 barrels with an 11 degree crown instead of the muzzle threads. Now that the AWB is gone in the USA, save for a handful of communist enclaves, no one seems to make them or have them in stock. I would love to buy a target crown version of 16 inch medium weight barrel (Hanson, Gunner, etc.) with mid-length gas system and an SPR style 18 or 20 inch barrel with rifle length gas system. Neither of which I could find with a target crown.

find a threaded 18" barrel and lob 1/2" off and have a competent machinists cut a crown.

i cut back a 20" to get rid of the brake and shed some weight to comply to cmp modern military rules.
i did the work myself and my daughter claimed it as hers.

Im sure if you call WOA or CLE they can make what you want from a shlien,Bartlet, krieger blank

Last edited:

Columbia River Arms - Configure Your Custom Barrel

I've got one of their 20" barrels - a very nice shooter.

Primary weapon systems makes a combo comp/flash hider that has some flash hiding characteristics but ATF has declared its not classified as a flash hider.

I have used these. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom