Compliant Sig P220 Variations

hyemb350

NES Member
Morning all. Have a stupid question. Looking into my options for a P220 but I’m a little confused by the approved roster. It lists P220 Legion, P220 Stainless and just P220. Given the different variations that are out now, the equinox, elite, etc, what exactly does P220 encompass, just the original P220? Can the elite be owned here? That looks to be the most basic P220 currently produced. Thanks in advance!

I’m looking for the elite carry that’s been discontinued. My only hope would be a private sale, if I even find one.
Then you don’t care about the list AT ALL. The list regulates licensed (as in “has an ffl and a state dealer license”), not ownership or private sale.

Just an FYI the Sig220 Legion is (or was a few years ago) exactly the same whether or not you had the MA model. Yes they have a special model, one that officially is on the list and remains compliant.

Most likely it's not the only 220 where they run a special "MA compliant" version that only differs by model name.

The simple solution, call the store, they will know exactly off the top of their head what is produced and what's available. Yes you can work around the MA list, but in this situation there is no need.

Then you don’t care about the list AT ALL. The list regulates licensed (as in “has an ffl and a state dealer license”), not ownership or private sale.
True. The only one I suppose would be the currently produced 220 Elite but even that I’ve seen in sale around here.

Just an FYI the Sig220 Legion is (or was a few years ago) exactly the same whether or not you had the MA model. Yes they have a special model, one that officially is on the list and remains compliant.

Most likely it's not the only 220 where they run a special "MA compliant" version that only differs by model name.

The simple solution, call the store, they will know exactly off the top of their head what is produced and what's available. Yes you can work around the MA list, but in this situation there is no need.
That’s what suspect. Thanks, I’ll call around.

Who cares if it's on some bullshit list or not, find someone to sell you one and buy it. Do you think the average LEO is going to know which of the metric shit-ton of variations Sig puts out is on some list or not if they're checking your LTC?
Exactly, don’t think they’ll really give two craps. It’s also going to be a range gun, not my carry gun.

Get a broken in west German made one private sale.
I was an idiot and either sold or traded mine
That would be nice. It’s hard to find anything other than the legion these days. Unless I’m looking in the wrong places.

That would be nice. It’s hard to find anything other than the legion these days. Unless I’m looking in the wrong places.

Sig store is gonna have all they make or at least be able to order one. And they are familiar with doing business with folks in MA.

The 220 has a cool factor being a single stack .45, but isn't really a carry pistol. It's big, heavy, and yet holds 8 (10 with a really awful extended mag).

Absolutely it's great for the nightstand, but is probably most often bought as a target pistol for someone that wants something more modern or different than a 1911 but wants also better trigger than any striker pistol. The Legion with its upgraded and short reset trigger just makes sense for that use, so I bet that's the most popular model.

FYI mine went back to Sig to iron out reliability issues, wasn't a big fan of it until maybe 400 rounds. It is very reliable now but I can't fathom why a hand worked $1400 pistol can't come out of the box capable of running 2 mags without at least one failure. Now I do like it very much. But it is still tiring to shoot a lot being .45 - running 10 to 15 mags is no biggie, more if like yesterday I was switching between a 226 (9mm) and 220 when the 226 got hot, after a couple hundred rounds I was really noticing that added recoil of the 220.

Sig store is gonna have all they make or at least be able to order one. And they are familiar with doing business with folks in MA.

The 220 has a cool factor being a single stack .45, but isn't really a carry pistol. It's big, heavy, and yet holds 8 (10 with a really awful extended mag).

Absolutely it's great for the nightstand, but is probably most often bought as a target pistol for someone that wants something more modern or different than a 1911 but wants also better trigger than any striker pistol. The Legion with its upgraded and short reset trigger just makes sense for that use, so I bet that's the most popular model.

FYI mine went back to Sig to iron out reliability issues, wasn't a big fan of it until maybe 400 rounds. It is very reliable now but I can't fathom why a hand worked $1400 pistol can't come out of the box capable of running 2 mags without at least one failure. Now I do like it very much. But it is still tiring to shoot a lot being .45 - running 10 to 15 mags is no biggie, more if like yesterday I was switching between a 226 (9mm) and 220 when the 226 got hot, after a couple hundred rounds I was really noticing that added recoil of the 220.
Yeah it definitely won’t be a carry gun, just a range gun. I don’t have any .45 and like the P220, not crazy about 1911.

I myself had some issues with a couple of pistols that had to go back. They do take care of it but I agree it should be good to go out of the box. Sounds like a quality control issue.

The other issue is I’m not sure which models come with the SRT trigger and which ones don’t. Some listings mention it but some don’t.

Yeah it definitely won’t be a carry gun, just a range gun. I don’t have any .45 and like the P220, not crazy about 1911.

I myself had some issues with a couple of pistols that had to go back. They do take care of it but I agree it should be good to go out of the box. Sounds like a quality control issue.

The other issue is I’m not sure which models come with the SRT trigger and which ones don’t. Some listings mention it but some don’t.

Answering you a bunch here but in saying this I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.

Any of the Sig DA/SA can be outfitted with it. Might be $150. However, based on Sig store feedback in a Legion you get both a hand fitted and SRT - a nicer trigger versus just short reset. And upgraded sights, all sorts of stuff. If you really want and would be happy plane Jane 220, they are out there. If you are gonna upgrade what you got a bunch - I'd say probably makes sense to get a Legion if you like it as is too.

As far as triggers for instance I have a 226 tacops, it came with a SRT but reportedly not a true Legion quality job. Honestly I can't tell. But my impression is if it's not one of those $1200+ models, usually they lack a SRT. I have a 229 Elite, some day may have it converted but it is not an SRT.

Now as far as SRT goes, it's nice, and someone will probably lose their shit over this, but I will say could be more likely to cause an accidental discharge (in the direction of what you were discharging at already). A light trigger that resets with a tiny bit of travel and your finger on the trigger from the last shot - you get tired, beatup, laxidazical, the likelihood goes up. I usually shoot in a pit with a huge berm, typically alone, very controlled as far as margins of safety, and at times do stuff that I wouldn't ever in a range or without such a margin of safety - especially as far as not taking a break when I should. But it only has happened with those DA/SA SRT Sigs.

Answering you a bunch here but in saying this I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.

Any of the Sig DA/SA can be outfitted with it. Might be $150. However, based on Sig store feedback in a Legion you get both a hand fitted and SRT - a nicer trigger versus just short reset. And upgraded sights, all sorts of stuff. If you really want and would be happy plane Jane 220, they are out there. If you are gonna upgrade what you got a bunch - I'd say probably makes sense to get a Legion if you like it as is too.

As far as triggers for instance I have a 226 tacops, it came with a SRT but reportedly not a true Legion quality job. Honestly I can't tell. But my impression is if it's not one of those $1200+ models, usually they lack a SRT. I have a 229 Elite, some day may have it converted but it is not an SRT.

Now as far as SRT goes, it's nice, and someone will probably lose their shit over this, but I will say could be more likely to cause an accidental discharge (in the direction of what you were discharging at already). A light trigger that resets with a tiny bit of travel and your finger on the trigger from the last shot - you get tired, beatup, laxidazical, the likelihood goes up. I usually shoot in a pit with a huge berm, typically alone, very controlled as far as margins of safety, and at times do stuff that I wouldn't ever in a range or without such a margin of safety - especially as far as not taking a break when I should. But it only has happened with those DA/SA SRT Sigs.
Definitely appreciate the feedback. The legion is nice but the color I’m not crazy about. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful gun, I just prefer black. Sounds like I can always upgrade the trigger if I want to but maybe I’ll even be ok with the stock trigger.

Would you happen to know about grip compatibility. I believe the elite comes with the E2 grips, does the gun have threaded holes behind the grips if I want to swap them out?

Definitely appreciate the feedback. The legion is nice but the color I’m not crazy about. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful gun, I just prefer black. Sounds like I can always upgrade the trigger if I want to but maybe I’ll even be ok with the stock trigger.

Would you happen to know about grip compatibility. I believe the elite comes with the E2 grips, does the gun have threaded holes behind the grips if I want to swap them out?
yes it has threaded holes

Lol not sure if serious most "compliant" sigs have an MA sku/model no and they also have the "ma**h***" LCI in the chamber hood. No f***ing way will i ever own another "explicitly compliant" gun like that ever again. Blech.

Lol not sure if serious most "compliant" sigs have an MA sku/model no and they also have the "ma**h***" LCI in the chamber hood. No f***ing way will i ever own another "explicitly compliant" gun like that ever again. Blech.

That's what I was told at the Sig store, that the P220 Legion in .45 was the same as the free state version, just with a different PN.

That came up because I had an employee discount gifted, on the phone they initially said they had a MA version that I could have today (which was identical blah blah), then they found it was spoken for and I waited a month or so for a free state one to be produced.

I don't know where you live, and I will say Exeter NH is not an easy ride from MA destinations as its > 20 minutes from 95 or 495 (is a trip down 125 or 101 depending). But if you called and they had the models there, they encourage and love to pull guns from the case for you to handle and see for yourself.

Just feeling a trigger and seeing/handling would tell you a lot. I also like black pistols but the dark grey isn't far from it. These things are all > $1000 retail from what I'm seeing, so you could find a Legion is the same cost as a trigger job and set of grips on an Elite. At the same time, for a range gun the triggers on a standard DA/SA Sig in SA mode is pretty decent and a short reset isn't doing much for you unless you need to be fast - if your intention is paper for fun at 20 yards I do think you could skip it but worth feeling for yourself.

I don't know where you live, and I will say Exeter NH is not an easy ride from MA destinations as its > 20 minutes from 95 or 495 (is a trip down 125 or 101 depending). But if you called and they had the models there, they encourage and love to pull guns from the case for you to handle and see for yourself.

Just feeling a trigger and seeing/handling would tell you a lot. I also like black pistols but the dark grey isn't far from it. These things are all > $1000 retail from what I'm seeing, so you could find a Legion is the same cost as a trigger job and set of grips on an Elite. At the same time, for a range gun the triggers on a standard DA/SA Sig in SA mode is pretty decent and a short reset isn't doing much for you unless you need to be fast - if your intention is paper for fun at 20 yards I do think you could skip it but worth feeling for yourself.
Yeah that’s the thing, it’ll just be a range gun. I don’t have any .45 currently and not crazy about 1911s. I might just be ok with the stock trigger.

I don’t understand the stupidity, it’s literally the same gun with a “ma**h***” like you said lol.

I think there are plenty of used Sig P220’s around for sale in MA if you’re patient. I’ve had two, still own my Scorpion Sig 220. Love it for what it is, a full size metal framed double/single. Single action shoots like a dream. Only thing I may change is to replace the trigger with a flat gray guns trigger as I’ve done in most of my Glocks and AR’s.

382950C5-CCEB-4E5B-937A-4C00F3B0C510.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom