Concealed Carry I class - review

I attended the brand new MFS Concealed Carry I class last night.

Sgt. Robert MacQuarrie (Mac) was great!

The class ran over by about 30+ minutes because he took the time to answer everyones questions (even though some of these questions were answered already for them in the Basic Firearms Safety Course). It is classroom course (not live fire) but he passes around every style of holster, pepper spray, flashlight he had in his bag he even passed around his pocket knife as well as his keys with a small pepper spray attached. The end of the class he lined up his personal assortment of handguns of all sizes/brands so people could handle them and find something they found comfortable to hold (Glock, S&W, H&K, Sig, KelTec, etc).

Mac touched on many topics that I had planned on asking about as well as other things that you'd never think of until the time comes up (he even explained how to use a public restroom... i.e. take a #2... while carrying and how to remain concealed under the stall door). He explained the importance of practicing with the gun(s) you intend to carry as well as with the clothing you wear as well as how to guard against people bumping into you in tightly packed areas as well as not being "outed" by some you are giving a hug to. He also touches on understanding use of lethal force and mental vs physical incapacitation.

The course finishes with a printed certificate saying you completed the course and is signed by the instructor. I plan on taking a copy down to my local PD to have them put it in my file.

Mac is a LEO that loves guns and loves to talk about guns and more importantly, he loves to teach people to safely use guns.

I highly recommend this class to anyone that already carries concealed or wants to carry concealed or just like to learn about guns.

Mac also teaches a hands-on course (Concealed Carry II) which takes a more advanced journey into how to actually do the things he taught in Concealed Carry I. I look foreword to taking this class as soon as my long awaited LTC arrives and I am able to purchase a handgun.

Just finished the ccii class last friday. A lot of fun!

Had some classroom time, some dry fire, then to the range where we proceeded to go through 150 rounds. Great shooting exercises. The five lane range is nice.

The class was geared mostly towards how to draw from different positions, and to aim and fire safely and quickly.

The only drawback for me was it was Friday night and I really started to tire out towards the end.

I was at the CC1 class on the 30th as well. Great class! Lots of useful info and the instructor was a great guy,knowledgeable and entertaining. I think it ran closer to an hour over, but towards the end, I didnt get the feeling that he was rushing through it just to get it done. He answered a ton of questions and when I was leaving, he was still chatting with some attendees.

I would highly recommend this class as well and am looking forward to CC2.

I also took the class and found it extremely worthwhile. Mac is terrific as an instructor. I've taken CC I and also Armed Defense in The Home with him and he really delivers.

I am looking forward to the CC II class.

I think all MFS classes should start with the question "Any NES people in the house?"

I hope none of you were the guy suggesting to everyone to take your gun to court because they will lock it up for you.

I hope none of you were the guy suggesting to everyone to take your gun to court because they will lock it up for you.

Generally speaking, the state courts in MA will offer this service, however, federal courts will not. Some other state level facilities (One Ashburton Place; the state house) also offer this service. It tends to be limited in scope (sometimes just a handful of lockers), so it won't work for a large number of armed serfs (for example, attending the annual gun hearings), but is generally not a problem in other cases.

If someone normally carries a gun, and has business at a governmental facility that prohibits, but checks and stores, guns, what is the problem with taking advantage of that service?

Generally speaking, the state courts in MA will offer this service, however, federal courts will not. Some other state level facilities (One Ashburton Place; the state house) also offer this service. It tends to be limited in scope (sometimes just a handful of lockers), so it won't work for a large number of armed serfs (for example, attending the annual gun hearings), but is generally not a problem in other cases.

If someone normally carries a gun, and has business at a governmental facility that prohibits, but checks and stores, guns, what is the problem with taking advantage of that service?
This was something that Mac specifically said "those storage containers are supposed to be for police only". If I know I am going to a restricted location (Post office, federal building, Logan, etc) or a questionable place (a place where its safe to assume they don't want weapons and have metal detectors)... I will just not carry it.
The real question is, why are we restricted from carrying anywhere?

This was something that Mac specifically said "those storage containers are supposed to be for police only". If I know I am going to a restricted location (Post office, federal building, Logan, etc) or a questionable place (a place where its safe to assume they don't want weapons and have metal detectors)... I will just not carry it.
The real question is, why are we restricted from carrying anywhere?

In reality, they are for whoever the court and other facilities decides gets to use them. They could always tell you you can't come in with it, go lock it up in the car and then come back, or they could lock it up for you. No hard fast rule there IIRC

This was something that Mac specifically said "those storage containers are supposed to be for police only".

That's interesting, because many of the locations that have the containers do not ban police from entering armed. They are indeed "LE only" at federal facilities when, in many cases, non-federal LE does not have authority to be armed.

In most places (state courthouses, One Ashburon, State House, registry of deeds, etc) it seems to be up to the discretion of the persons manning the checkpoint. If there is no mass of "gun people" (like a legislative hearing), the checkpoint staff at state facilities tends to be both polite and accommodating. BTDT.

Also, state level facilities are less problematic because, unlike federal facilities, you are not in any violation when you walk up to the checkpoint and declare a firearm, whereas you are in violation once you set foot in the federal facility (or grounds, if you want to be really technical) even prior to the checkpoint. In fact, it might be tough to find something to charge someone with caught carrying a gun through a checkpoint (except in a courthouse, where it would be violating a court order) at a state facility not prohibited in MGL, however, I would rate the half-life of the LTC of someone doing so at about 24 hours.

In most places (state courthouses, One Ashburon, State House, registry of deeds, etc) it seems to be up to the discretion of the persons manning the checkpoint.
Being in Real Estate, this is why I push clients to close at a lawyers office instead of the Registry of Deeds in sketchy areas.
I think the $50 for a locked container for my car will do the trick if I am carrying and find the need to stow it.
(or I could just use a bush in Boston).

I think all MFS classes should start with the question "Any NES people in the house?"

Ha-Ha! No, that was not me. Mac squashed that old timers kookiness and bad information pretty quick.

I've taken a few classes there, and they are all good, but, yeah, you do get some odd folks in there with some stranger ideas.

I remember, in the Armed Defense In The Home class which Mac also taught, there was this chubby kid. Maybe late 20s or early 30s. You could tell me was not the most socially skilled person and was new to firearms. He apparently had taken another class previously with Mac and had developed quick a man-crush on him because he kept rushing up to him at every break to bend his ear with nonsense.

Anyway I was sitting down and overheard him yammering on about what kind of handgun he wanted to get. He was telling Mac he liked .45s for conceal carry but he didn't think it was big enough for him. He said he really thought he was going to go with a Smith and Wesson 500. For a carry gun.

Well Mac reacted as one normally would. He asked the kid why he felt he would ever need something that large.

Bears, the kid said. I don't think a .45 can stop a bear.

He asked the kid where he runs into bears. The kid said he sometimes goes camping in Vermont.

How often do you go camping? the kid was asked.

Maybe once a year, he replied.

I couldn't hold it in anymore and just started laughing.

I attended the CC I class yesterday and second the positive feedback. The class was comprehensive and helpful and the instructor Mac is excellent. Also so far the most professional training facility I have seen. Full recommendation from me.

I attended the CC I class yesterday and second the positive feedback. The class was comprehensive and helpful and the instructor Mac is excellent. Also so far the most professional training facility I have seen. Full recommendation from me.

+1

I was there yesterday as well and got a lot out of it. Mac is a great instructor. It was my third class there and they've all been very good. I took 2 classes last Friday with Steve (Utah CCW Class) and James (Mass Basic Firearms) and they were great as well. Applying for my non-res this week once I finish up my reason letter.

Jeff

Took the CC1 class last night with Mac and was very satisfied. Great class and well worth the price. Home Defense class is next.

I attended the brand new MFS Concealed Carry I class last night.

Sgt. Robert MacQuarrie (Mac) was great!

The class ran over by about 30+ minutes because he took the time to answer everyones questions (even though some of these questions were answered already for them in the Basic Firearms Safety Course). It is classroom course (not live fire) but he passes around every style of holster, pepper spray, flashlight he had in his bag he even passed around his pocket knife as well as his keys with a small pepper spray attached. The end of the class he lined up his personal assortment of handguns of all sizes/brands so people could handle them and find something they found comfortable to hold (Glock, S&W, H&K, Sig, KelTec, etc).

Mac touched on many topics that I had planned on asking about as well as other things that you'd never think of until the time comes up (he even explained how to use a public restroom... i.e. take a #2... while carrying and how to remain concealed under the stall door). He explained the importance of practicing with the gun(s) you intend to carry as well as with the clothing you wear as well as how to guard against people bumping into you in tightly packed areas as well as not being "outed" by some you are giving a hug to. He also touches on understanding use of lethal force and mental vs physical incapacitation.

The course finishes with a printed certificate saying you completed the course and is signed by the instructor. I plan on taking a copy down to my local PD to have them put it in my file.

Mac is a LEO that loves guns and loves to talk about guns and more importantly, he loves to teach people to safely use guns.

I highly recommend this class to anyone that already carries concealed or wants to carry concealed or just like to learn about guns.

Mac also teaches a hands-on course (Concealed Carry II) which takes a more advanced journey into how to actually do the things he taught in Concealed Carry I. I look foreword to taking this class as soon as my long awaited LTC arrives and I am able to purchase a handgun.

MAC did my basic licensing class last year; tremendous class.

My wife is taking this class tonight. I saw that Mac was teaching it and recommended it to her after taking the Active Shooter class.

My wife came back with a wealth of info and is already looking at taking the next level class. Sounded like a good experience.

Back
Top Bottom