Concealed carry in Boston

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, I have scanned the forums for an answer but didn't see anything at first glance, and I am in need of an answer pretty quickly here.

I'll keep this succinct: does my MA LTC cover carrying in Boston?

I am active duty military, and was issued my Class A MA LTC while away for training, and am returning to MA soon. Not looking to have an issue in Boston, where I will be spending a good portion of my leave time.

thanks in advance,

I'll keep this succinct: does my MA LTC cover carrying in Boston?
Yes, except the places banned by laws not specific to Boston (schools, federal facilities) and the surface of the ocean within 500 ft of Logan airport. The only Boston specific ban is the city AW ban.

NYC is the only instance I know of where a state carry permit specifically carves out one city as "no go".

Yes, except the places banned by laws not specific to Boston (schools, federal facilities) and the surface of the ocean within 500 ft of Logan airport. The only Boston specific ban is the city AW ban.

NYC is the only instance I know of where a state carry permit specifically carves out one city as "no go".

The closest I can think of is open carry being banned in "cities of the first class" in Pennsylvania

Your LTC was issued with Restrictions: None?

Just be mindful of areas in Boston with metal detectors too (e.g., Streets around Fenway during a game).

LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Streets are not "owned" by any universities or any other businesses.

Menino gave Yawkey Way to the Red Sox. It and a few small streets (more like alleys) are privately owned in the city. BU recently purchased Cummington Mall through the back of their Commonwealth Ave campus.

The closest I can think of is open carry being banned in "cities of the first class" in Pennsylvania
That was (emphasis, *was*) a distinction that resulted in Philly being "may issue" while the rest of the state was "shall issue". It's all shall issue now.

Even when in effect, non-Philly PA permits were valid in Philadumpia.

Alleys aren't streets so I make no claims wrt who owns them.

If a "street" is "given" to a business (colleges are businesses), then it is no longer a "street". Streets (and sidewalks along public streets) are public ways which are publicly owned by a municipality and maintained by said municipality. Private ways are privately owned and maintained.

The paranoid may decide not to walk within 1000' of a street in front of a college, but the rest of us will just go about our business and not worry about it.

Problem is Len the private streets look like public streets and the street signs haven't been changed to indicate "private way". I suppose that's a defense in court given that the private property status isn't posted.

Problem is Len the private streets look like public streets and the street signs haven't been changed to indicate "private way". I suppose that's a defense in court given that the private property status isn't posted.

Is there any documented proof (official gov't document - usually a deed registered in Suffolk County Land Court, available online) proving that they were "given" to private entities. A lot of stuff is done as an honorarium where no ownership changes, so I'm leery of statements that the city "gave" public property to any private entity.

I'll let the lawyers pipe up, but if there is no indication that something that's been public property for 100 yrs or more is suddenly private property my guess is that a lawyer could make a strong defense.

My understanding is that if a street has public access then it is considered a public street no matter who owns it

I'll let the lawyers answer this one. Yes, you still may have access but would 269-10 kick in because "gun-zz"??

A couple of years back, someone related a recent story they heard from a Boston cop. Apparently a Boston cop tried to to arrest someone for carrying in Boston because his LTC wasn't a 'Boston' LTC. The cop's sargeant made her release the guy as soon as he found out.

The only metal detectors I ran into are right at the gates to Fenway. Yawkey Way is closed before games, so you can't walk down it unless you have a ticket. Landsdowne Street is open to both pedestrians and vehicles before, during, and after games.

Just be mindful of areas in Boston with metal detectors too (e.g., Streets around Fenway during a game).

Must alleys in Boston are public and are marked "Public Alley 123" or whatever number. There are some private alleys or roads in Boston, but they are usually marked as such.

If you walk near the MGH (and other hospitals), they mark where you can smoke and where you can't. So far, you can still smoke on public sidewalks, but on the campus of the hospital itself, you can't. I like to stand on the edge and blow cigar smoke in the direction of the hospital.

Alleys aren't streets so I make no claims wrt who owns them.

If a "street" is "given" to a business (colleges are businesses), then it is no longer a "street". Streets (and sidewalks along public streets) are public ways which are publicly owned by a municipality and maintained by said municipality. Private ways are privately owned and maintained.

The paranoid may decide not to walk within 1000' of a street in front of a college, but the rest of us will just go about our business and not worry about it.

I appreciate the responses everyone, definitely helps a lot.

I figured schools, etc. are off limits, but I didn't realize they would potentially have metal detectors outside of Fenway. I won't really be going to Fenway anyhow,

Fenway, TD Garden, courthouses, and Boston City Hall. Just in case you plan to go to any of them. Also all federal buildings.

I appreciate the responses everyone, definitely helps a lot.

I figured schools, etc. are off limits, but I didn't realize they would potentially have metal detectors outside of Fenway. I won't really be going to Fenway anyhow,

Nothing to worry about. Just don't go through a metal detector.

- - - Updated - - -

Stay away from the Boston common.

Huh?? Why??

There are private ways going through BU that recently were purchased by BU. They used to be public streets and aren't anymore.

Menino gave Yawkey Way to the Red Sox. It and a few small streets (more like alleys) are privately owned in the city. BU recently purchased Cummington Mall through the back of their Commonwealth Ave campus.

Then it would be incumbent upon the owner to let you know if they have some kind of prohibition.

Either way, if you are walking down a public street in Boston and don't see any obvious changes to the street, its a reasonable assumption that you are still on a public street. Yawkey Way is an interesting example. But then again, I'm always unarmed when I go to a Sox game simply because I choose to drink.

For example, around MIT its very obvious when you turn off a Cambridge street and onto what is essentially a driveway for a MIT owned space.

A couple of years back, someone related a recent story they heard from a Boston cop. Apparently a Boston cop tried to to arrest someone for carrying in Boston because his LTC wasn't a 'Boston' LTC. The cop's sargeant made her release the guy as soon as he found out.

And some years ago a Boston cop in JP pulled a fire truck over for speeding.

And some years ago a Boston cop in JP pulled a fire truck over for speeding.

Contrary to popular belief, emergency vehicles are supposed to follow the traffic laws including speed limits. Limits on roads are supposed to be the maximum speed can drive safely. This is why the city usually settles with car vs government mobiles.

Fenway, TD Garden, courthouses, and Boston City Hall. Just in case you plan to go to any of them. Also all federal buildings.
State level courts will check your gun as will the state office building at One Ashburton and the State House (unless you go on a gun hearing day, they only have a few lockers).

Federal courts will not extend the courtesy to little people; I think they will for state/local level LE who do not have federal carry authority.

Back
Top Bottom