• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Weapon Insurance

Mind excluded "intentional" acts except those intended to protect life or property. While I don't think this is intended to cover self defense civil litigation, it might. The real purpose of such an "except for" inclusion are claims like injuring someone when pushing them out of the way of an oncoming bus or cracking ribs while giving CPR (sometimes separately covered under good samaritan statutes),

While the self defense exception to the intended acts exclusion may not have been designed with civil defense of those who carry in mind, that coverage is indeed granted. I'd have to review the ISO revision notes to see what that exception was added (sometime in the 90s is all I know) and the genesis, but I'd expect it was intended to cover the homeowner who was sued after defending themselves or their property from a burglar. Of course, depending on the state and how the complaint is pled, the insured may not even be able to get a defense from their insurer. However, the duty to defend is generally broader than the duty to indemnify, so in most cases you'd at least get your legal bills paid in a civil suit.

And any HO policy written this century should contain that exception...

As other have mentioned, having coverage for civil litigation is likely to be the last of your worries if you face criminal action.

Mind excluded "intentional" acts except those intended to protect life or property. While I don't think this is intended to cover self defense civil litigation, it might. The real purpose of such an "except for" inclusion are claims like injuring someone when pushing them out of the way of an oncoming bus or cracking ribs while giving CPR (sometimes separately covered under good samaritan statutes),

Your interpretation is the definition of "unintentional" injury. If you use a firearm for self defense (whether or not it is justified) you are intending to injure or kill. Conventional insurance companies consider that the definition of "intentional" injury. This issue has come up on many gun websites with many assuming their conventional insurance provides coverage. But when they directly inquire they find it does not.

Your interpretation is the definition of "unintentional" injury. If you use a firearm for self defense (whether or not it is justified) you are intending to injure or kill. Conventional insurance companies consider that the definition of "intentional" injury. This issue has come up on many gun websites with many assuming their conventional insurance provides coverage. But when they directly inquire they find it does not.

This is incorrect, as note in my post below Robs. Below is the language that will be on any industry standard HO policy written in the past 20 or so years:

9cfeb0986def5205fe2085d2deedadc8.png

Ah, the key "reasonable force". The plaintiff will need to argue "unreasonable force" to prevail, so if you lost the case, the insurance company many not need to pay depending upon the findings.

Ah, the key "reasonable force". The plaintiff will need to argue "unreasonable force" to prevail, so if you lost the case, the insurance company many not need to pay depending upon the findings.

The practical reality is the insurance company would probably settle somewhere along the way to mitigate defense costs (which would be substantial) or the plaintiffs attorney would offer release of the insured in return for assignment of the cause of action against the insurer if coverage was denied.

The practical reality is the insurance company would probably settle somewhere along the way to mitigate defense costs (which would be substantial) or the plaintiffs attorney would offer release of the insured in return for assignment of the cause of action against the insurer if coverage was denied.
Yup. While the shootee's goal may be to ruin the shooter, the attorney's goal is to get paid.

Back
Top Bottom