Concord NH 17-18!

I went several years ago and bough a Rem. 12 ga. model 1100 (?) with two barrels, one slug and one bird for $150. and let me tell you, it was crowded, asses and elbows but lots of stuff!

I look at any gun show as "entertainment". If I meet and chat with one or more NES'rs while there, I'm a happy camper even if I buy nothing.

I've always enjoyed the Concord NH show. Lots of neat stuff that I can put my hand on even if I can't buy it in MA. Small accessories can be found and I get to chat with lots of good people.

I'll readily admit that gun prices at all shows tend to be very high (vs. going to a gun shop), but occasionally someone has been known to get a good deal. I just don't go with an intent to buy guns.

YMMV

Went twice and seemed dealers were pricing their stuff as though they were in Mass. I'll stick closer to home for my shows.

I guess I will head up tomorrow (Sunday am) and check it out.

I want to see if I can pick up an A1 vietnam era (triangular handguard style) 10.5 inch shorty upper for my M16 for the .22 conversion kit I have. A guy had one at the Big E show back a month ago and I wished I had of snagged it. Maybe they will have one at this show.

Rob

Last edited:
Great show IMO, some really cool stuff and some great deals.
Though I did run into someone that wouldn't sell me something because he was unsure of MA laws. It was an awesome deal on an awesome gun, but yet again, I've been screwed by the f***in state of Massachusetts. [frown]

Hi-Point 995 carbine.
He thought that because they MADE high-cap mags for it, it could only be possessed by an LTC holder. (I tried pointing out that high-cap mags are available for damn near every mag-fed rifle on the market, but no dice)
Obviously I only have an FID. [sad2]

That is news to me. When did they start making high-cap mags for the 995?

Answer: I guess ProMag started making after market 15 round mags LINK HERE

Last edited:

Yup. That was enough to make him unsure enough that he just wanted to play it safe.
I need to start carrying around a copy of 501 CMR 7.02 any time I might buy a gun. [rolleyes]

This show was one of the better ones I've been to in the past few shows there.....plenty of everything..I walked out with a case of .40,9,5.45x39 for a pretty good deal..no shortage of ammo this time..I went looking for a Russian Tok or a Saiga S20...need the Russian Tok to cap collection so I can move onto Maks and an S20 to keep my S12 happy...sadly none in sight.

Nice show!

Nice show. Got there at 9:00, 10 minute wait. Got some guns parts and hard to find ammo. Plenty of firearms to look at. Saw a nice SVT-40, but out of my price range. Made a couple of offers on some items that interested me. Will go again in the fall.

Hi-Point 995 carbine.
He thought that because they MADE high-cap mags for it, it could only be possessed by an LTC holder. (I tried pointing out that high-cap mags are available for damn near every mag-fed rifle on the market, but no dice)
Obviously I only have an FID. [sad2]

Perhaps I am reading MA laws wrong? I thought the seller had it right... an FID card is only good for Non-large capacity rifles and shotguns, and the definition (according to the MassWildlife handout from the hunter's ed course) says "a weapon is large capacity if it is a semiautomatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting (or readily modifiable to accept) any detachable large capacity feeding device that holds more than ten rounds..."

Perhaps I am reading MA laws wrong? I thought the seller had it right... an FID card is only good for Non-large capacity rifles and shotguns, and the definition (according to the MassWildlife handout from the hunter's ed course) says "a weapon is large capacity if it is a semiautomatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting (or readily modifiable to accept) any detachable large capacity feeding device that holds more than ten rounds..."

You're relatively new, so I'll explain your error nicely, instead of letting Scrivener have at you.

If you look up the definition of "capable of accepting", and "readily modifiable to accept" in 501 CMR 7.02, you will see that in order for the rifle/shotgun to actually be "capable of accepting" or "readily modifiable to accept", the owner of said rifle/shotgun would have to be in possession of a high capacity feeding device.
Think about that statement before you post. High cap mags are available for all sorts of things, including the 10/22, SKS, Mini 14, etc., and extended mag tubes are available for just about every model shotgun.
Obviously you don't need an LTC to own a 10/22, SKS, or shotgun.

I'm not so much angry at the people who don't understand that bit of law as I am at that law itself, and inherently, the state of Massachusetts. So my frustration is just misdirected toward you. [grin]

Last edited:
You're relatively new, so I'll explain your error nicely, instead of letting Scrivener have at you.

If you look up the definition of "capable of accepting", and "readily modifiable to accept" in 501 CMR 7.02, you will see that in order for the rifle/shotgun to actually be "capable of accepting" or "readily modifiable to accept", the owner of said rifle/shotgun would have to be in possession of a high capacity feeding device.
Think about that statement before you post. High cap mags are available for all sorts of things, including the 10/22, SKS, Mini 14, etc., and extended mag tubes are available for just about every model shotgun.
Obviously you don't need an LTC to own a 10/22, SKS, or shotgun.

I'm not so much angry at the people who don't understand that bit of law as I am at that law itself, and inherently, the state of Massachusetts. So my frustration is just misdirected toward you. [grin]

I appreciate your patience with me! it seems like the hunters Education course is unintentionally misinforming people, then... they made it sound as though as long as a high cap mag was available for it, whether you own it or not, its considered a high-cap firearm... I certainly see your frustration with this law...

though I did think about my statement, (though obviously wrong) I just thought that for rifles that accept high capacity magazines, an FID card was insufficient. I thought a class B was necessary. thanks for the clarification!

OK, to correct the correction . . .

Three conditions lead to something being "large capacity":

- Mfr at any time shipped said gun with mags >10 rds (or >5 rds for shotgun), OR

- Listed on EOPS released "Large Capacity" List, OR

- Person has possession of said gun AND a "large capacity feeding device" for said gun.

Any of the three above (per MGL and CMR) make it a "large capacity" gun, nothing else.

Some examples:

- I've seen 22 rd stick mags and drum mags for single-stack 1911s . . . so ownership of one of these mags and a 1911 would make THAT GUN "large capacity".

- Little known fact that S&W sold Model 41 target guns with 12 rd mags for a very short period of time. Thus this gun is on that magic "Large Capacity" List and requires a LTC-A.

OK, to correct the correction . . .

Three conditions lead to something being "large capacity":

- Mfr at any time shipped said gun with mags >10 rds (or >5 rds for shotgun), OR

- Listed on EOPS released "Large Capacity" List, OR

- Person has possession of said gun AND a "large capacity feeding device" for said gun.

Any of the three above (per MGL and CMR) make it a "large capacity" gun, nothing else.

Some examples:

- I've seen 22 rd stick mags and drum mags for single-stack 1911s . . . so ownership of one of these mags and a 1911 would make THAT GUN "large capacity".

- Little known fact that S&W sold Model 41 target guns with 12 rd mags for a very short period of time. Thus this gun is on that magic "Large Capacity" List and requires a LTC-A.

Also completely correct. [grin]

I was only explaining the law as far as the Hi-Point 995 in this situation was concerned. Trying to keep the legal talk to a minimum outside of the legal forum.

And nateo, reading my post now I think I might have been a little harsh with the "think about your post" comment. Just to clarify, that came out worse than it was meant to (that and I'm grouchy at 2AM). [grin]
These stupid MA laws are turning me into a grouchy old man, and I'm not even 25!

Also completely correct. [grin]

I was only explaining the law as far as the Hi-Point 995 in this situation was concerned. Trying to keep the legal talk to a minimum outside of the legal forum.

And nateo, reading my post now I think I might have been a little harsh with the "think about your post" comment. Just to clarify, that came out worse than it was meant to (that and I'm grouchy at 2AM). [grin]
These stupid MA laws are turning me into a grouchy old man, and I'm not even 25!

no biggie... gun laws in general are pretty new to me... i wasnt even remotely interested in guns until maybe 10 months ago, when I got a rifle in AZ... didnt have to worry about stupid crap out there! and at 2 1/2 weeks shy of 23, and with only 6 months of exposure to MA firearms laws, I feel ya!

Back
Top Bottom