Condition 1 & approaching 0

Was out walking around in Boston near Beacon Hill and I came across these two guys arguing like they were about to fight. People just kept passing them like they normally do in the city but as I got closer I saw that the guy closest to me had his right hand firmly on the grip of his pistol tucked in his pants. He had good positioning too with his strong side away from the guy that was barking at him. The armed guy just kept saying something like, “walk away guy!” I crossed the street. Funny thing is there was a police detail just 15 ft away but a truck was blocking the view. The two parted ways and I later saw the presumably unarmed individual standing on the corner bumming cigarettes.

Last edited:
Good move. Don't hang around to watch the show.

Yep. When I first saw these two I thought it was best just to keep moving and walk past. Then when I saw the gun I thought I don't want to be standing behind the other guy and took a sharp turn to cross the street only there was a crew working in a man hole so I had to reverse direction and go around all that. Then it dawned on me that there must be a detail somewhere and sure enough there he was standing near the truck.

The guy with the gun (NES member??? [wave] ) looked like your average working man with a barn jacket and the other dude looked like a guy that spends most of his time hassling people since I later saw him hanging in front of a store front bumming cigs with a chip still on his shoulder.

These things can escalate so quickly. I used to work in downtown Boston and some of the local characters can become extremely agressive in the blink of an eye.

However, if I were the guy who was armed in this scenario I wouldn't be saying "just walk away." I'd be making every possible effort to walk away myself. I know people on NES will disagree with me on this, but I want to make sure I have done everything possible to avoid shooting someone before I actually shoot someone. This is for my own peace of mind. I can think of few things more horrible than having some screaming, bleeding person at my feet followed immediately by the legal and emotional aftermath. Yes, I'm prepared to defend myself and my loved ones in the gravest extreme, but I don't relish it.

I would say the only time I would not walk away was if someone got between me and a loved one. I have seen this happen with some very aggressive pan handlers. I also get really nervous around my car at Gas Stations. Gas prices are going up, and some people act awfully odd around gas stations. I had a guy block me into a gas stall once with his truck and ask me for gas money. Blocking someone's escape route, or impairing their ability to get to a loved one is an implied threat - not saying it rises to deadly force but it should make one's level of vigilence jump.

However, if I were the guy who was armed in this scenario I wouldn't be saying "just walk away." I'd be making every possible effort to walk away myself. I know people on NES will disagree with me on this, but I want to make sure I have done everything possible to avoid shooting someone before I actually shoot someone.

Having been in situations like the one described, I found it impossible to walk away each time. Turning your back on an irate person expressing their desire to physically harm you when they are within striking distance seems like a very, very poor option at the time. I found that backing up just emboldened the person and made the situation worse.

clearly, the NES answer is to draw, triangulate the bum with other gun owner at the low-ready, assist and flex cuff until the police come.

Only after you deploy your CCW sash.

ccwbanner.jpg

If it's the dude in front of 7-11, just punch him in the side of the head and he sits back down sobbing until his next mark comes by.

These things can escalate so quickly. I used to work in downtown Boston and some of the local characters can become extremely agressive in the blink of an eye.

However, if I were the guy who was armed in this scenario I wouldn't be saying "just walk away." I'd be making every possible effort to walk away myself. I know people on NES will disagree with me on this, but I want to make sure I have done everything possible to avoid shooting someone before I actually shoot someone. This is for my own peace of mind. I can think of few things more horrible than having some screaming, bleeding person at my feet followed immediately by the legal and emotional aftermath. Yes, I'm prepared to defend myself and my loved ones in the gravest extreme, but I don't relish it.

NEVER turn your back on a thug

We don't carry guns to one up people on the street. Act like you are not carrying and do not have that option available to you unless the situation really gets out of control.

My mentality as well. I accept all responsibility regarding my actions IF I need to use lethal force, but I don't fall into the mindset I have 10 cocks in the hen house. I'll do all I safely can to remove myself from the confrontation. I sure as hell wouldn't stand in the middle of Beacon Hill with my hand on the grips while arguing with a transient.

To be that guy. Every situation is different and they must be addressed individually. I recomend trying to get away and or dissolve the situation. You need to be aware that the situation will require a delicate mixture of calm and force. What happens when the panhandler decides that you backing away means that he is intimidating you and has the upperhand? I respect the person in question for being aware of his tools and situation, and that baring his teeth could mean everyone goes home.

I was involved in a situation that was forced on me but was resolved with an over the top show of force on my part. I did not have to draw but it is the closest I have ever come to it. It was the most intense 2 minutes of my life. During that time my mind was racing a mile a minute, but I was acutely aware of my boundries and what my reactions would be. They backed down and we all walked away. I hope I never experience that again, but know I am better for it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't need a gun for some loudmouth chump on the street. The one-hitter quitter will put 9 out 10 punks to sleep....

Last edited by a moderator:
Use to be, a gentleman carried a cane to thump vagrants and panhandlers. You used the pistol on robbers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't need a gun for some loudmouth chump on the street. The one-hitter quitter will put 9 out 10 punks to sleep....

Not everyone has mastered the "one-hitter quitter" including myself.[slap]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom