• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Condition 1 Carry Poll

Do you keep a round in the chamber of your Glock or similar type semi-auto?

• Yes

Votes: 261 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters
why only keep the chamber empty? That’s foolhardy. Definitely not safe enough. the magazine should be topped off with a snap cap. that way it take 2 slide rackings to use the pistol. Two is safer than one. Is why I carry 2 rape whistles.

So carrying a Glock with one in the chamber is Condition Zero?
No. Carrying a glock with one on the chamber is just the correct way to do it. 😁

This os for the OP:

Condition 1 2 3 on a 1911 refers alot with the position of the hammer and safety......neither of which a glock has.

1 is round in chamber, hammer cocked safety on.

2 is round in chamber hammer down safety off (for obvious reasons)

why only keep the chamber empty? That’s foolhardy. Definitely not safe enough. the magazine should be topped off with a snap cap. that way it take 2 slide rackings to use the pistol. Two is safer than one. Is why I carry 2 rape whistles.
You have to make sure you truly want to shoot someone. Carry a 17 round mag with sixteen snap caps followed by a single live round. Bonus points if the mag is post-94.

I carry with one in the chamber. While I disagree with those who don't carry with one in the pipe, it's a personal decision and I still think you're better off having the gun on you even without one in the chamber.

But situational carry where you carry w/ one in the pipe under some circumstances but not others is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
I carry loaded, but will never call it pointless to carry unloaded unless you are a cop or working armed security.
I will lol

1. You're not carrying as many rounds as possible in a handgun. Moar bullets is better.

2. Youre intentionally introducing another point of failure to a stressful situation. Its well known motor skills decrease under stress. Now you introduce several potential problems that can arise.

3. Youre now not focused on aiming and getting a propper grip immediately when the need arises.

Idk is having a gun without one in the chamber better than not having one yes.

However if I'm pulling my gun out I'm intending to shoot something. And whatever that something is I'm going to do my damn best to stack the odds in my favor

Is there such a thing as a reverse trigger job? Like make the trigger hard to pull so you feel more comfortable with it loaded? I think I'd rather go that route lol

Is there such a thing as a reverse trigger job? Like make the trigger hard to pull so you feel more comfortable with it loaded? I think I'd rather go that route lol
Lol yeah if you like making a bunch of noise... go ask the nypd how that works for them

I carry loaded, but will never call it pointless to carry unloaded unless you are a cop or working armed security.
1. Go green. [smile]

2. Have you seen how fast someone can cover the distance in a self defense situation?... we are not talking about the OP engaging a threat 50 yards away.

To that, you have to add the added time to move the shirt out of the way and draw, this takes time. Add having to rack the slide, and you are probably dead.

A USPSA competitor shooter, someone that is above average but not the best and has a nice competition rig with no obstructions takes just under 1 second from draw to shoot. Keep in mind, this is using a competition rig that barely holds the gun, no shirt removal, no twisting of the body (if you are carrying at the 4 or 5 o'clock).

Let's assume in a defense situation carrying concealed it takes double that time, lets call it 2 seconds. Racking the slide probably adds at least half a second. (And hope the slide doesn't slip and you have to rack it again).

Go outside and see how much distance you can cover in 2.5 seconds.

2.5 seconds is probably very generous as most people barely practice.

I'm too much of a pussy to carry striker guns chambered. Sure, there's plenty of "internal safeties" and the trigger has a nipple safety and your finger is the safety, just get a proper fitting kydex holster bro blah blah. But you can't rule out the possibility, even infintismally remote that a clothing thread couldn't get in the trigger guard or something being able to depress it.

DA/SA hammer guns only for me and preferably with a frame thumb safety as well. Doesn't need two hands (or a tacticool rear sight rack) to get that first round off and I've trained enough to sweep the thumb safety down on the draw on instinct. Slight plus is if you ever get disarmed by a gun n00b and they try to shoot you, you stand more for a chance of surviving and being able to do something about it if the bad guy doesn't know to sweep the safety down. Not much you can do if he takes your Glock or VP9 from you. I guess I'm just not elite tactical enough like a lot of NES to carry striker guns chambered lol.

My carry is always chambered and full mag. In my early days of gun ownership I was hesitant, as my knowledge and experience grew, I realized it’s of no worry and carry locked and loaded so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom