Condition 1 Carry Poll

Do you keep a round in the chamber of your Glock or similar type semi-auto?

• Yes

Votes: 261 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters

ridleyman

NES Member
When I'm in Boston, or higher risk areas, I tend to carry my S&W Shield Plus in 9mm with 1 in the chamber and 9 rds in the 10 rd mag. Otherwise, full 10 rd mag, no rd in chamber. So I'm voting No, because I generally stay out of Boston and the like. I do understand it's a bit slower, but I'm more comfortable that way.

Are you fingering the trigger when you draw? If you’re not comfortable with a round in the chamber, then you need to work on training and technique. There’s a higher risk of a f*** up if you sometimes do or don’t have a round chambered (you get complacent and pull the trigger to decock and end up blowing a hole through your floor). Keep it consistent, but a gun without a round chambered is useless.

Round in the chamber 100% of the time otherwise what's the point? You really think that under pressure you're going to remember to rack the slide while drawing from the holster? Isn't the idea of round sometimes and no round other times defeating the purpose of muscle memory?

When I'm in Boston, or higher risk areas, I tend to carry my S&W Shield Plus in 9mm with 1 in the chamber and 9 rds in the 10 rd mag. Otherwise, full 10 rd mag, no rd in chamber. So I'm voting No, because I generally stay out of Boston and the like. I do understand it's a bit slower, but I'm more comfortable that way.
Because under pressure you will remember how you have the gun at that moment. O wait, I did not plan to come to boston but was in the burbs, damn, I guess I am dead now...

Always one in the chamber. Magazine always topped off. Always. No variation. Consistency and training.

I have always been surprised by the number of people that carry without a round in the chamber, I have met people who leave an empty chamber under the hammer, probably a habit from tho old days when revolvers we're not as safe as they are now.

Last edited:
Always wondered why do the Israelis carry with their mags on the outside of their rifle and connected to a dummy mag insert? Is it so the Palestinians don't get triggered when they see that Jews are the only ones allowed to be armed? The rifle is basically as useful as a broom if the person carrying it got ambushed.

I always carry one in the chamber, and top off the mag. To the OP, I think you'd be better off going either one in the chamber all the time, or none in the chamber all the time, not mixing it up.
I've gone back and forth on topping the mag off. Sometimes I have to disarm and lock up on the road. Having the extra round adds to handling when trying to be discrete.

Round in the chamber 100% of the time otherwise what's the point? You really think that under pressure you're going to remember to rack the slide while drawing from the holster? Isn't the idea of round sometimes and no round other times defeating the purpose of muscle memory?

I have always been surprised by the number of people that carry without a round in the chamber, I have met people who leave an empty chamber under the hammer, probably a habit from tho old days when revolvers we're not as safe as nowadays.

In my opinion if 1.25 seconds is the difference between life and death, you need to work on situational awareness more than a quick draw. or stop following a SWAT team on a raid in a crack house, or stop watching movies, or stop hanging out in Chicago on a Saturday night.

In my opinion if 1.25 seconds is the difference between life and death, you need to work on situational awareness more than a quick draw. or stop following a SWAT team on a raid in a crack house, or stop watching movies, or stop hanging out in Chicago on a Saturday night.
Ever get mauled by a bear?

Not every one hangs out in cities... keep one in the pips

Back
Top Bottom