Condition 1 Carry Poll

Do you keep a round in the chamber of your Glock or similar type semi-auto?

• Yes

Votes: 261 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters
If I am carrying a revolver,or going to some bad place then I will have one in the pipe,but most of the time
I carry my gun in my fanny pack without one in the pipe.

I thought that Condition One only applied to SAO semi autos like the 1911.
It is. The OP got it wrong.

Condition 1: A round is chambered, a magazine is inserted, and the hammer is cocked with the safety engaged.

Commonly referred to as “cocked and locked,” the only thing the gun owner must do after drawing the pistol is disengage the safety. This is something that requires training to do smoothly and regularly in a self-defense situation.

This would be the correct version...

Condition 3: The pistol’s chamber is empty, a magazine is inserted, and the hammer is down.

Also sometimes known as Israeli carry, this was the normal mode of carry for the US military when the 1911 was the standard issue sidearm. Condition 3 requires the defender to draw the pistol and rack the slide to load a round in order to make it ready to fire.

1. Go green. [smile]

2. Have you seen how fast someone can cover the distance in a self defense situation?... we are not talking about the OP engaging a threat 50 yards away.

To that, you have to add the added time to move the shirt out of the way and draw, this takes time. Add having to rack the slide, and you are probably dead.

A USPSA competitor shooter, someone that is above average but not the best and has a nice competition rig with no obstructions takes just under 1 second from draw to shoot. Keep in mind, this is using a competition rig that barely holds the gun, no shirt removal, no twisting of the body (if you are carrying at the 4 or 5 o'clock).

Let's assume in a defense situation carrying concealed it takes double that time, lets call it 2 seconds. Racking the slide probably adds at least half a second. (And hope the slide doesn't slip and you have to rack it again).

Go outside and see how much distance you can cover in 2.5 seconds.

2.5 seconds is probably very generous as most people barely practice.

I see what you are saying, but I don't live in Mogadishu.. Amazingly enough I survived the majority of my life without having a gun on me 24/7.. Lets face it, the majority of people here live in suburbia and the most dangerous situation they may face is trying to get a closer parking space at Wegmans in their minvan battling other armed househusbands wearing Patriots gear and 5.11 pants.

Thinking of getting the instructor flair instead, it's like Going Green !! plus plus.

I will lol

1. You're not carrying as many rounds as possible in a handgun. Moar bullets is better.

2. Youre intentionally introducing another point of failure to a stressful situation. Its well known motor skills decrease under stress. Now you introduce several potential problems that can arise.

3. Youre now not focused on aiming and getting a propper grip immediately when the need arises.

Idk is having a gun without one in the chamber better than not having one yes.

However if I'm pulling my gun out I'm intending to shoot something. And whatever that something is I'm going to do my damn best to stack the odds in my favor

I like living on the edge with a spare mag... Like I said, I do carry loaded, but will not saying carrying unloaded is pointless... Again, if 2 seconds makes that big of a difference in the wild blood stained streets of Medway or Lincoln, you need to profile more and work on situational awareness. .Good situational awareness will get you out of most situations because you are able to avoid them, gun is last resort, not first.

I am not your typical NES'er that cowered in my house until I got an LTC and now go to a 7/11 in Mattapan for a Big Gulp because I got some bravery in a holster.

I've gone back and forth on topping the mag off. Sometimes I have to disarm and lock up on the road. Having the extra round adds to handling when trying to be discrete.
Not sure I understand what you mean. From what I'm getting, the non discrete issue is from you racking the slide after dropping the mag to unload and store the gun, something you'd do whether you topped off or not.

I keep my gun locked in the shipping box with the trigger lock on that is also locked in my safe plus my ammo is in a locked box elsewhere in the house.

You can never be too careful.

I'd never carry a loaded gun on the street.
You joke...

I caught my friend trigger locking his guns inside his safe, with his single box of ammo

Not sure I understand what you mean. From what I'm getting, the non discrete issue is from you racking the slide after dropping the mag to unload and store the gun, something you'd do whether you topped off or not.

Tough to describe, you're correct when disarming you have to rack the slide. I was thinking more of when arming you load, it rack it then have to drop the mag to top off. When next to your vehicle in a parking lot I just figured it wasn't worth the extra time. That transitional space while working to setup the gun and keep your head on a swivel seemed to me to be a good time to keep it simple.

It depends on where in "suburbia" you live. If you live in a town adjacent to Boston, Brockton, Fall River, Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, or Lawrence, there is a good chance of spill over crime. Randolph used to be a nice quiet suburb, but it isn't any more. Any city or town along a major highway is going to have some crime, mostly drug related.

I see what you are saying, but I don't live in Mogadishu.. Amazingly enough I survived the majority of my life without having a gun on me 24/7.. Lets face it, the majority of people here live in suburbia and the most dangerous situation they may face is trying to get a closer parking space at Wegmans in their minvan battling other armed househusbands wearing Patriots gear and 5.11 pants.

Thinking of getting the instructor flair instead, it's like Going Green !! plus plus.

When people ask me if these threads are real (just kidding… no one does), I send them this:

View: https://youtu.be/UMAJ1VoynyM

It’s ALL REAL PLAYA

Lol, that dude reminds of a new kid that showed up in class back in 7th grade. He kinda looks like him, too. He kept pulling his dad's American Express out of his wallet (he had the same name) to show us all what a big man he was at age 13[rofl]

Lol, that dude reminds of a new kid that showed up in class back in 7th grade. He kinda looks like him, too. He kept pulling his dad's American Express out of his wallet (he had the same name) to show us all what a big man he was at age 13[rofl]

Reeeeeeallll

It depends on where in "suburbia" you live. If you live in a town adjacent to Boston, Brockton, Fall River, Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, or Lawrence, there is a good chance of spill over crime. Randolph used to be a nice quiet suburb, but it isn't any more. Any city or town along a major highway is going to have some crime, mostly drug related.

If you live to adjacent to any of those cities, you are not in suburbia [smile]

I've noted that most things elude you.

Note that Newton is immediately adjacent to Boston and is a suburb. Easton is immediately adjacent to Brockton and is a suburb. Although someone there seems to be doing their best to "diversify" the population. With the predictable results.

Most things elude me.

Although in this case I am pretty sure you know what I am talking about and are being purposely obtuse for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom