Condition 1 Carry Poll

Do you keep a round in the chamber of your Glock or similar type semi-auto?

• Yes

Votes: 261 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters
It depends on where in "suburbia" you live. If you live in a town adjacent to Boston, Brockton, Fall River, Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, or Lawrence, there is a good chance of spill over crime. Randolph used to be a nice quiet suburb, but it isn't any more. Any city or town along a major highway is going to have some crime, mostly drug related.
False ruminations on their face. You simply don‘t know what you are talikng about. But sounds impressive - in your own mind I am sure.

I see what you are saying, but I don't live in Mogadishu.. Amazingly enough I survived the majority of my life without having a gun on me 24/7.. Lets face it, the majority of people here live in suburbia and the most dangerous situation they may face is trying to get a closer parking space at Wegmans in their minvan battling other armed househusbands wearing Patriots gear and 5.11 pants.

Thinking of getting the instructor flair instead, it's like Going Green !! plus plus.
With that mindset, why carry a gun at all anywhere?

I lived in Buenos Aires for 15 years, didnt carry a gun, I am alive. I have friends in their 30s that lived in the city their entire lives, they don't carry and are alive.

Google crime in Buenos Aires.

The point is, you have it for a worse case scenario, if you have to use it, you need to be ready.

Compared to those parts of the world, nowhere in MA is dangerous.

I'm too much of a pussy to carry striker guns chambered. Sure, there's plenty of "internal safeties" and the trigger has a nipple safety and your finger is the safety, just get a proper fitting kydex holster bro blah blah. But you can't rule out the possibility, even infintismally remote that a clothing thread couldn't get in the trigger guard or something being able to depress it.

DA/SA hammer guns only for me and preferably with a frame thumb safety as well. Doesn't need two hands (or a tacticool rear sight rack) to get that first round off and I've trained enough to sweep the thumb safety down on the draw on instinct. Slight plus is if you ever get disarmed by a gun n00b and they try to shoot you, you stand more for a chance of surviving and being able to do something about it if the bad guy doesn't know to sweep the safety down. Not much you can do if he takes your Glock or VP9 from you. I guess I'm just not elite tactical enough like a lot of NES to carry striker guns chambered lol.

Going DA/SA w/ one in the chamber & manual safety on makes a ton more sense than going without one in the chamber. I went through a period where I would only go DA/SA for AIWB but now I go striker fire AIWB, however I always put the gun on while it's already in the holster. Haven't shot my dick off yet.

I've noted that most things elude you.

Note that Newton is immediately adjacent to Boston and is a suburb. Easton is immediately adjacent to Brockton and is a suburb. Although someone there seems to be doing their best to "diversify" the population. With the predictable results.

OMG....this is such a gay thing to be arguing about.

If you do not have one in the chamber and you plan on using your support hand to work the slide you better be sure that support hand is free. Not holding a dog leash, bag, package, child’s hand, door handle, flashlight and on and on….

This.

Our youngest had a handsy phase a while back, and it became a concern, even with basic pull retention. It took a couple hundred reps to feel like not having a round chambered was viable, but only in certain situations. Anything else- having to grab him back, turn him away, etc., just couldn't be done fast enough. They'd see it coming a mile away, and that'd be that.

Change your holster or its location. If the holster is good, there's nothing to be afraid of. Somebody messes with you with a child, or anything else in tow, and you're already behind the 8-ball. You need to not hand them any bonus time.

Going DA/SA w/ one in the chamber & manual safety on makes a ton more sense than going without one in the chamber. I went through a period where I would only go DA/SA for AIWB but now I go striker fire AIWB, however I always put the gun on while it's already in the holster. Haven't shot my dick off yet.

Yeah, reholstering was one of the reasons I prefer DA/SA. Can keep thumb on hammer and know the gun isn't gonna do any funny business. Striker pistols are like sticking it in a glory hole when reholstering. At least guns with exposed hammers give some measure of transparency as to what's going on the other side.

With that mindset, why carry a gun at all anywhere?

I lived in Buenos Aires for 15 years, didnt carry a gun, I am alive. I have friends in their 30s that lived in the city their entire lives, they don't carry and are alive.

Google crime in Buenos Aires.

The point is, you have it for a worse case scenario, if you have to use it, you need to be ready.

Compared to those parts of the world, nowhere in MA is dangerous.

I carry a gun because it is easy and another tool, just like my knife.

If any effort at all was required to carry, I would only carry when out with my boyfriend and his kid to protect them....Ya I'm that lazy and sure of myself lol

Not sure I understand what you mean. From what I'm getting, the non discrete issue is from you racking the slide after dropping the mag to unload and store the gun, something you'd do whether you topped off or not ok,

Tough to describe, you're correct when disarming you have to rack the slide. I was thinking more of when arming you load, it rack it then have to drop the mag to top off. When next to your vehicle in a parking lot I just figured it wasn't worth the extra time. That transitional space while working to setup the gun and keep your head on a swivel seemed to me to be a good time to keep it simple.

Ok, that clears it up.

Recommend keeping the gun at the low ready at all times and move from cover to cover in a staggered fashion, waving your party to follow one at a time, especially in Boston. Don’t forget hand signals to maintain comms blackout.

I was just practicing reloading a mag while doing a barrel roll, getting ready to breach the front entrance of Target in Northborough, those MILF hips can poke a man in the eye, and then it's go time !

In my opinion if 1.25 seconds is the difference between life and death, you need to work on situational awareness more than a quick draw. or stop following a SWAT team on a raid in a crack house, or stop watching movies, or stop hanging out in Chicago on a Saturday night.
Problem is, that 1.25 is stacked onto a 2 second draw (more than likely) from concealment.

Personally, if the bad guy has the drop on you, you are almost better off doing the DUST techniques or just giving him/her your wallet and running. So yes, situational awareness is way more important. That said, that 1.25 could get you killed if you are in a really bad situation. Knives come out quick as well.

For me, a major reason to carry a semi-auto with one in the chamber is that racking the slide to load the first round is one of the likeliest situations to have a malfunction. You might be able to draw and rack the slide fairly fast, but if you end up having to rack, mis-fire, tap, rack you’re in for a lot of trouble. With one in the chamber you’re almost guaranteed to get that one round off. It's also the only reason I cary a spare mag. It’s not that I think I will need the extra rounds as much as a mag failure is the most common failure with a semi-auto so being able to drop the mag and insert a fresh one is invaluable.

As far as having to unload to store the gun in your vehicle when you’re going into a prohibited location. I’ve decided that, once my vehicle is engine off, in park, emergency brake on I am no longer transporting my gun, I’m storing it. You don’t need to unload it to store it. I like to minimize the amount of handling of my carry gun. It’s always loaded, one in the chamber and in its holster. At night, I take it off my belt (in the holster) and stick it in my bedside safe. All my vehicles have Console Vault safes in them and when I need to disarm I again just take the gun, holster and all, and put it in the safe. Other than when I’m going to clean them, the only way my carry guns are unloaded is by firing off all the rounds at the range.

Last edited:
For me, a major reason to carry a semi-auto with one in the chamber is that racking the slide to load the first round is one of the likeliest situations to have a malfunction. You might be able to draw and rack the slide fairly fast, but if you end up having to rack, mis-fire, tap, rack you’re in for a lot of trouble. With one in the chamber you’re almost guaranteed to get that one round off. It also the only reason I cary a spare mag. It’s not that I think I will need the extra rounds as much as a mag failure is the most common failure with a semi-auto so being able to drop the mag and insert a fresh one is invaluable.

As far as having to unload to store the gun in your vehicle when you’re going into a prohibited location. I’ve decided that, once my vehicle is engine off, in park, emergency brake on I am no longer transporting my gun, I’m storing it. You don’t need to unload it to store it. I like to minimize the amount of handling of my carry gun. It’s always loaded, one in the chamber and in its holster. At night, I take it off my belt (in the holster) and stick it in my bedside safe. All my vehicles have Console Vault safes in them and when I need to disarm I again just take the gun, holster and all, and put it in the safe. Other than when I’m going to clean them, the only way my carry guns are unloaded is by firing off all the rounds at the range.
My favorite part of people unloading their gun to go into a prohibited area, is the thought of them reloading and racking it in the parking lot with people watching from the windows

That’s my plan. After bad guy racks it, I’ll just take it back and shoot him!
That's why in addition to having a fake drop wallet, you have a drop gun. Draw your airsoft pistol, pretend to fumble with it, drop it, bad guy trying to rob you picks it up thinks he got the drop on you, and you ventilate his ass with your actual piece lol.

Carrying with an empty chamber is like:

1. Sliding in the snake without a condom and believing you can pull out in time

2. Driving without a seatbelt and beleiving you'll have time to put it on before the crash

Add you favorite additional choices

A pistol without a round in the chamber is like a limp dick, useless.
naw, just requires a little fluffing?

”I’ll be with you in a moment sir; just need to rack my slide. Okay, there we go, let’s proceed. … oh, bugger, my fingerprint trigger lock seems to be on the fritz. Let me just enter in my six digit code. … there now, where were we again?”

Back
Top Bottom