Condition 1 Carry Poll

Do you keep a round in the chamber of your Glock or similar type semi-auto?

• Yes

Votes: 261 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters
That's why in addition to having a fake drop wallet, you have a drop gun. Draw your airsoft pistol, pretend to fumble with it, drop it, bad guy trying to rob you picks it up thinks he got the drop on you, and you ventilate his ass with your actual piece lol.

That is some 3D level chess thinking right there, I like it !

In the spirit of this thread, tomorrow I will carry my G43 unloaded in one pocket and the mag in the other pocket as a science experiment. I will cruise slowly through the rough streets of Boylston and Shrewsbury on my way to Northboro where I will attempt to avoid the personal shoppers out front and breach the front entrance of Wegmans. Carefully avoiding the 33 year old bearded guy wearing pajamas bottoms, a Patagonia shirt and fuzzy slippers on a mission to get almond milk and a soy cake for lunch.

When I'm in Boston, or higher risk areas, I tend to carry my S&W Shield Plus in 9mm with 1 in the chamber and 9 rds in the 10 rd mag. Otherwise, full 10 rd mag, no rd in chamber. So I'm voting No, because I generally stay out of Boston and the like. I do understand it's a bit slower, but I'm more comfortable that way.
What are you worried about walking around Boston, some hipster fgt purse slapping you for knocking they/there latte out of he/her hand?

Last edited:
I believe you are incorrect
That's why I said I believe. In terms of risk analysis, I'd rather take the very tiny risk of getting tied up about my interpretation of storage vs transportation rather than what I feel is a much higher risk of an ND while trying to load/unload my gun while sitting in the car.

ETA There is case law that says you are “storing” and not “transporting” a gun in you vehicle when the vehicle is parked.

In COMMONWEALTH vs. AMAURY REYES.
464 Mass. 245
October 1, 2012 - January 29, 2013
This court concluded that G. L. c. 140, § 131C (a), the firearm carrying statute, does not apply once a person leaves a motor vehicle and a firearm in it; consequently, at the trial of a criminal complaint charging improper carrying of a firearm arising from the defendant's having left a firearm in his locked motor vehicle, the evidence was insufficient as a matter of law to sustain the defendant's conviction. [257-258]
The carrying statute provides in relevant part that "no person carrying a loaded firearm . . . shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person." The defendant contends that there was no evidence that his firearm was out of his possession (or his direct control) when he traveled to work in his vehicle. Consequently, he was carrying his firearm consistent with the requirements of the statute. The Commonwealth, on the other hand, argues that so long as the firearm remained in the defendant's vehicle -- even after he had left and locked it -- the firearm was being carried by him in a vehicle within the meaning of the statute. And, because the firearm was no longer under his direct control, he violated the carrying statute. We agree with the defendant.

The issue in dispute is not a factual one. There was no evidence presented at trial that the firearm was out of the defendant's control while he was traveling in his motor vehicle. Indeed, all of the evidence was to the contrary. The only question, then, is whether the carrying statute applies once the defendant leaves his vehicle and leaves the firearm in it. Our reading of the interrelationship between the carrying and storage statutes leads us to conclude that it does not.

Once the defendant left his motor vehicle and the firearm in it, he became subject to the storage statute because he was storing or keeping his firearm in a "place" neither on his person nor "under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user." G. L. c. 140, § 131L (a). Consequently, the evidence at trial was insufficient as a matter of law to support a verdict of guilty on the carrying charge, and a judgment of not guilty must be entered on his behalf.

The defendant is this case was found guilty of improper storage, since the gun was in his glovebox which the court found was not a not a “locked container” according to G. L. c. 140, § 131L (a) and (b) (storage statute). That’s why I use the Console Vault.

Last edited:
When I'm in Boston, or higher risk areas, I tend to carry my S&W Shield Plus in 9mm with 1 in the chamber and 9 rds in the 10 rd mag. Otherwise, full 10 rd mag, no rd in chamber. So I'm voting No, because I generally stay out of Boston and the like. I do understand it's a bit slower, but I'm more comfortable that way.
I always carry with one in the chamber. But I don't really like it when people go all Allahu Akbar on those who don't. A great many real-world SD situations have developed too fast for needing to rack one in, and remember, you're not going to want to draw until the threat is imminent. But I figure if people start carrying without a round in the chamber, watching enough security-cam videos of real-world SD situations, while getting more and more comfortable carrying, will correct the situation.

1. Go green. [smile]

2. Have you seen how fast someone can cover the distance in a self defense situation?... we are not talking about the OP engaging a threat 50 yards away.

To that, you have to add the added time to move the shirt out of the way and draw, this takes time. Add having to rack the slide, and you are probably dead.

A USPSA competitor shooter, someone that is above average but not the best and has a nice competition rig with no obstructions takes just under 1 second from draw to shoot. Keep in mind, this is using a competition rig that barely holds the gun, no shirt removal, no twisting of the body (if you are carrying at the 4 or 5 o'clock).

Let's assume in a defense situation carrying concealed it takes double that time, lets call it 2 seconds. Racking the slide probably adds at least half a second. (And hope the slide doesn't slip and you have to rack it again).

Go outside and see how much distance you can cover in 2.5 seconds.

2.5 seconds is probably very generous as most people barely practice.
I did this test to a friend who didn’t believe I could cover forty feet before he drew his nerf gun.
He knew I was coming. He knew where I was coming from. There was no one else around. I was the only threat.
It wasn’t even close.
The look on his face when I let out a blood curdling scream and started a full speed charge was hilarious.

I see what you are saying, but I don't live in Mogadishu.. Amazingly enough I survived the majority of my life without having a gun on me 24/7.. Lets face it, the majority of people here live in suburbia and the most dangerous situation they may face is trying to get a closer parking space at Wegmans in their minvan battling other armed househusbands wearing Patriots gear and 5.11 pants.

Thinking of getting the instructor flair instead, it's like Going Green !! plus plus.
Why carry at all?

Phew, I never thought a simple little survey would incite so much emotion. But, I appreciate the opinions and "intriguing" photos, like the twins posted by Tallahasee! [smile]

If you don't have a round chambered. You are betting you will not need to push an attacker off you while you draw.

That's why in addition to having a fake drop wallet, you have a drop gun. Draw your airsoft pistol, pretend to fumble with it, drop it, bad guy trying to rob you picks it up thinks he got the drop on you, and you ventilate his ass with your actual piece lol.
Or just carry two guns? Especially when you are @Broccoli Iglesias and one of them is a hipoint. You need a backup

That's why I said I believe. In terms of risk analysis, I'd rather take the very tiny risk of getting tied up about my interpretation of storage vs transportation rather than what I feel is a much higher risk of an ND while trying to load/unload my gun while sitting in the car.

ETA There is case law that says you are “storing” and not “transporting” a gun in you vehicle when the vehicle is parked.

In COMMONWEALTH vs. AMAURY REYES.
464 Mass. 245
October 1, 2012 - January 29, 2013

The defendant is this case was found guilty of improper storage, since the gun was in his glovebox which the court found was not a not a “locked container” according to G. L. c. 140, § 131L (a) and (b) (storage statute). That’s why I use the Console Vault.
Nerd.

Guy's, it's a gun, if your over thinking it this much, I'd like to see the mental gymnastics and diagrams you drew when you finally lost your virginity.

You joke...

I caught my friend trigger locking his guns inside his safe, with his single box of ammo

That's because everyone wants to play safety Nazi, and scream about models in magazines with a finger on the trigger. People act like you need two person integrity when moving or handling firearms, and stupid laws don't help. People that are brand new to guns are probably intimidated into thinking that if they're not 100% safe, 100% of the time, there is a 100% chance of an accident which will lead them to jail.

Carrying with an empty chamber is like:

1. Sliding in the snake without a condom and believing you can pull out in time

2. Driving without a seatbelt and beleiving you'll have time to put it on before the crash

Add you favorite additional choices

3. Planning to put on your motorcycle helmet once you clear the handlebars.
4. Putting on your parachute on the way out the door.
5. Keeping an oxygen tank at the bottom of the lake in case your drowning.
6. Planning on putting gas in the tank in the morning.

I did this test to a friend who didn’t believe I could cover forty feet before he drew his nerf gun.
He knew I was coming. He knew where I was coming from. There was no one else around. I was the only threat.
It wasn’t even close.
The look on his face when I let out a blood curdling scream and started a full speed charge was hilarious.

I did 25 feet, me with a marker and the guy had to get his hand out of his pocket and say bang. It was about 50-50. I'm also very unathletic and gravity challenged - so my fat ass moving across a room and getting the guy half the time was eye opening, when they realized what someone in shape would do.

Back
Top Bottom