• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed instances of .pdf/paper FA-10 form rejection by MA FRB

And it fills in the gaps of Mass's Gun Registration Database, er, I mean, Transfer Validation System.

It means that despite the fact that even though Mass is not authorized to maintain such a database, they will have one.

How does this add anything to the data collection that takes place via FA-10/eFA-10 forms? I'm not in favor of data collection in any form, but it's been required for years.

How does this add anything to the data collection that takes place via FA-10/eFA-10 forms? I'm not in favor of data collection in any form, but it's been required for years.

The web portal will be a wholesale replacement for the FA-10 system.

The web portal will be a wholesale replacement for the FA-10 system.

If the FRBbies have been doing their jobs, they scan the paper and the computer checks on scanning, then if the LTC doesn't "scan" or is rejected, they would manually verify the licensure.

More likely, they scan the form and those that work, work and those that don't, don't and get thrown away or stacked in underwater storage rooms, as in the past.

Either way, the result is a database that is horrifyingly dirty and corrupt. As I don't believe they have any right to that data, that is fine with me. Whether they have a right to screen transfers at all is another matter.

It also makes each and every one of us an agent of law enforcement. With a paper FA10, our responsibility is to view the other person's LTC and fill in some paperwork, then mail it in. If the other person is prohibited it is the State's duty to locate him and prosecute.

These transfers will take place in private homes, libraries or public wifis and if rejected, the hapless and innocent seller is expected to tell this person that turns out to be a felon that he can pound sand. Rather than completing the sale and safely leaving he tells this "dangerous" person the sale can't proceed and of course the felon will rob and murder him.

Lets say the seller does escape with his life and property intact. Who will go find the felon that tried to buy a gun? The FRBbies that can't even be bothered to mail out paper forms?

Society is harmed at least three ways by this: 1) exposing civilians to law enforcement risks. 2) doing so without compensating the civilian, and 3) by reducing the opportunity to capture the dangerous gun collecting felon.

While I took some artistic license in describing the possibilities, they are possibilities. We're being placed in danger against our will and the state is unlikely to follow up on these "infractions" since the transfer never actually took place.

I thought the new law had a requirement that the fa10 be completed at the time of sale/transfer. Wouldn't that remove the paper forms as a valid option?

Yes it will. However that waits on when CJIS re-does their webportal for our use . . . likely ~1 year away.

I doubt they'll do anything until they get a bigger budget. Government bureaucracies always whine and hollar when asked to do anything, even if it is essentially what they always do but in a different way.

AFAIK, 128B does not require a particular form.

It doesn't, so long as whatever you use was "furnished by said executive director"

The multipart forms and the PDF downloaded from their website count, even if you can't get paper ones anymore and the PDF is no longer on the website, because they *were* "furnished by said executive director"

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt they'll do anything until they get a bigger budget. Government bureaucracies always whine and hollar when asked to do anything, even if it is essentially what they always do but in a different way.

Do you mean that "universal background checks" won't actually be a requirement if the state doesn't actually budget for setting up the website?

Good news/ bad news:

It appears the CHRB has started accepting (stopped rejecting and returning) PDF FA10 forms.

This is based on a few registrations and purchases that got returned to me, and then a few that haven't.

So, either they're throwing them away (so we don't have proof they got them) or scanning them and entering them into the system.

Not sure where that leaves us between now and when the "universal background check" system goes online.

I think Michaela understands that paper forms just aren't available at almost any PD! It's not a question that I have asked recently however.

Good news/ bad news:

It appears the CHRB has started accepting (stopped rejecting and returning) PDF FA10 forms.

This is based on a few registrations and purchases that got returned to me, and then a few that haven't.

I know another who's had the same experience, recent printed pdfs submitted to register builds and CMP purchases not returned (yet) and presumed accepted, where similar registrations via pdf sent earlier in the year were returned with the boilerplate 128A rejection letter as proof of receipt.

I think Michaela understands that paper forms just aren't available at almost any PD! It's not a question that I have asked recently however.

Maybe she finally understands that there are numerous people who are basically taking the rejection letters and destroying/ignoring them. I'm not sure show they would expect people to act in good faith particularly given the fact that the rejection letters, at least as of recently, have not also included an accompanying FA-10 form.

-Mike

Aaaaand... they've un-stopped rejecting them.

I got in the mail today a new and improved threat letter and some FA10s I submitted back in October and November. The odd thing is that I got FA10s back from three separate transactions, so they held on to them for a while and returned them to me all at once.

There's something going on here, but I can't see what it is.

new letter:

IMG_1693.jpg

Edit:

Actually, it looks like it's just "not a photocopy".

That's not quite the same as "it works"

In 2+ years of doing eFA-10s, I have never had so much as a hiccup and I've done multiple registrations, transfers to dealers and transfers to individuals. Saved and printed the form at the end of each transaction too.

In 2+ years of doing eFA-10s, I have never had so much as a hiccup and I've done multiple registrations, transfers to dealers and transfers to individuals. Saved and printed the form at the end of each transaction too.

That's not what I meant by "works".

If the system is insecure, it doesn't work, regardless of how well it "worked" for you.

If the system is insecure, it doesn't work, regardless of how well it "worked" for you.

Lol, what is insecure about it? Did they **** up the cert or something? Not that I care one way or the other, just curious.

-Mike

That's the first complaint I remember about security, but tell me: who do you know that's running a system that's guaranteed to be absolutely secure right now? Even air-gapped systems have been compromised. Federal government sites and private financial, defense and commercial sites have all been hacked. I am not suggesting that we should be complacent about any of that, but it's worth keeping in perspective.

Back
Top Bottom