• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed shooting at Holyoke Mall

That’s a pretty f***ing weak shooting. It’s basically fake news.

I recall going there when my wife was at UMass. . . . 33 or so years ago. Back when Victoria's Secret was she was already middle-aged. LOL. I never got that it was in Holyoke, though. That wasn't a great place even back then. I guess it's gotten much worse.

The only malls around me that still exist are the Connecticut Post (Milford) and the "new" Waterbury mall ("Brass Mill" - hasn't been "new" in twenty years). I wouldn't go to either unless you're looking to get in the middle of a battle between the Latin Kings and Los Solidos.

Shooter is Kenneth Santana-Rodriquez from Springfield and shooting was at nail salon. Victim is either owner or employee of business. What I don't understand is why shooter was still there when Police arrived. Victim was Trung Tran, 33 yrs old from W. Springfield.

Last edited:
My wife and kids frequent this mall a couple/three four times a year.
I try to warn them each time, "don't become a statistic". I will continue to warn them.
I've been down there a number of times to Best Buy to buy electronics, but in the Best Buy door and out the same way, never through the mall.
I think the one time I ventured through the mall I was condition zero with a spare mag ready.....

It's terrible these street rats have to bring their fights to public places and kill innocent people. It'd be nice if they stuck to their own street and killed only eachother.

I recall going there when my wife was at UMass. . . . 33 or so years ago. Back when Victoria's Secret was she was already middle-aged. LOL. I never got that it was in Holyoke, though. That wasn't a great place even back then. I guess it's gotten much worse.
I went to a Catholic High school in Holyoke in 1976-80. It was much nicer at that time. You could walk around the entire city without fear. My grandmother and I took a bus from Chcopee to the Holyoke town hall and shopped all around the block without even thinking about it.
When we visit my folks and pick up pizza at Capri on Cabot St. I can't believe how bad the area has gotten.

I went to a Catholic High school in Holyoke in 1976-80. It was much nicer at that time. You could walk around the entire city without fear. My grandmother and I took a bus from Chcopee to the Holyoke town hall and shopped all around the block without even thinking about it.
When we visit my folks and pick up pizza at Capri on Cabot St. I can't believe how bad the area has gotten.

Damn Irish.

This particular tragedy had nothing to do with the mall and could/would have happened anywhere. Really dumb aggressor, and stupid beef with someone else, this would have happened wherever this turd was.

My nieces are at this mall all the time, I wouldn't really worry about them going there any more after this incident than I did before. My business is in downtown Holyoke, right in a high drug/prostitute area. I wouldn't let them walk around outside the shop at all even if I was with them. So many needles on the ground, human feces, druggies all over, etc. We see shit all the time. 2 ish years ago we were outside loading a jeep on a trailer in the street and 3 guys in ski masks opened fire from the middle of the road at the 3rd floor of an apartment building about 200 feet from us. Crazy out there!

33 years ago your wife was middle-aged?

Is she 80 now?

But yeah, Victoria Secret is the only reason I go there all the time.

My girlfriend is an underwear model and she is always buying the sales.

Shooter is Kenneth Santana-Rodriquez from Springfield and shooting was at nail salon. Victim is either owner or employee of business. What I don't understand is why shooter was still there when Police arrived. Victim was Trung Tran, 33 yrs old from W. Springfield.
My buddy who is a CO at Hamden County Jail said the shooter bumped into his ex girlfriend and her new BF at nail salon. Something was said between the two men and the shooter pulled his gun out (he was a legal LTC holder) and shot the victim accidentally.

I’m getting first hand accounts of this Holyoke shooting..
Who doesn’t bring a f***ing handgun to Holyoke Mall and not aim with theirshoulders?

My buddy who is a CO at Hamden County Jail said the shooter bumped into his ex girlfriend and her new BF at nail salon. Something was said between the two men and the shooter pulled his gun out (he was a legal LTC holder) and shot the victim accidentally.
It was all gay males.. They just don’t wanna report that

Cheers buddy! I too am a Holyoke Catholic grad from 1989.
Ordered many a pizza from capri back in the day…
I remember walking down to “Two Guys” with my grandmother in the late 70s before the area went to hell.

"The police report said that Santana-Rodriguez told that police a man walked into the nail salon where he and his girlfriend were getting pedicures. The man began to argue with his girlfriend. Santana-Rodriguez told police that he believed the man was his girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend.

Santana-Rodriguez also told police that the man flashed his gun in his waistband and said, quote, “You know what’s about to happen.”

Then, Santana-Rodriguez told police, “It was him or me.” Police reported that Santana-Rodriguez told them, “It was me, I shot,” when they found him in the back of the salon.

Witnesses told police Santana-Rodriguez pointed his gun at the man he was fighting with and fired it off at least twice. One witness said that Tran was shot as he tried to get out of the way of the two men."

------------

No mention of police interacting with said "ex-boyfriend."

"The police report said that Santana-Rodriguez told that police a man walked into the nail salon where he and his girlfriend were getting pedicures. The man began to argue with his girlfriend. Santana-Rodriguez told police that he believed the man was his girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend.

Santana-Rodriguez also told police that the man flashed his gun in his waistband and said, quote, “You know what’s about to happen.”

Then, Santana-Rodriguez told police, “It was him or me.” Police reported that Santana-Rodriguez told them, “It was me, I shot,” when they found him in the back of the salon.

Witnesses told police Santana-Rodriguez pointed his gun at the man he was fighting with and fired it off at least twice. One witness said that Tran was shot as he tried to get out of the way of the two men."

------------

No mention of police interacting with said "ex-boyfriend."
the key to his defense is - did he shoot him in the front or back. He's screwed either way.

the key to his defense is - did he shoot him in the front or back. He's screwed either way.
Shooter is currently charged with murder being held without bail until next hearing 2/27.
It doesnt really matter whether victim was shot in front or back as victim was not the intended target.

Shooter is currently charged with murder being held without bail until next hearing 2/27.
It doesnt really matter whether victim was shot in front or back as victim was not the intended target.

true - I was looking at an angle of glass half full since he had a license. Initially thought this was gang related.

If the use of force was legal self defense, an innocent person being shot would not be a crime.

But I seriously doubt the shooter was using legal self defense which in Massachusetts requires a duty to retreat which he obviously didn’t attempt. The threat wasn’t there to sustain legal self defense, the shooters actions were not reasonable etc. he’s going to prison and should.

true - I was looking at an angle of glass half full since he had a license. Initially thought this was gang related.
You don't really hear much about gang violence in springfield and holyoke these days. I know there are smaller "crews" but I think that violence is way down from what it once was.

If the use of force was legal self defense, an innocent person being shot would not be a crime.

But I seriously doubt the shooter was using legal self defense which in Massachusetts requires a duty to retreat which he obviously didn’t attempt. The threat wasn’t there to sustain legal self defense, the shooters actions were not reasonable etc. he’s going to prison and should.

Duty to retreat? Hey, don't forget that this dude was in the middle of getting a pedicure. Seems to me that retreating would have been a little difficult for him to do, under the circumstances!

[laugh]

Frank

If he got up to retreat he would have messed up his pedicure
Are you going to pay for him to get his toe nails painted again?

Last edited:
Duty to retreat? Hey, don't forget that this dude was in the middle of getting a pedicure. Seems to me that retreating would have been a little difficult for him to do, under the circumstances!

[laugh]

Frank
Witnesses corroborated story, shooter and GF were getting pedicures and man entered nail salon, confronted shooter and GF, punched him in the face and shooter drew Glock and shot employee by accident. Should be interesting trial, I'm assuming they they're looking for ex-BF.

Back
Top Bottom