Confused about getting started

I want to get started in competitive shooting and marksmanship. I'very been doing searches and getting more confused about what caliber to start with. What type of pistol and rifle to get. I am a new shooter. Thank you for any input.

depends on your prior experience, .22 is usually where people start, an air gun even. When you have good fundamentals your skills will translate well into other calibers and more expensive equipment. Major component of getting better is a lot of practice and dedication. After some time in shooting circles you'll know what calibers you'll shoot.

you should consider doing an appleseed event. you'll use a .22 rifle for this. have you shot before? I think if interested, google them and you can find a schedule somewhere near you.

most important of all, make sure that you are safe, you know all the safety rules and abide by them. Over time it will become second nature, but in the beginning don't get complacent.

Search local clubs for different types of events.
See if there is a weekly 22 shoot, shotgun trap or skeet, cmp or NRA events.
There are not to many events that won't open there arms to get you going.

If your interested in rifle try a cmp event. The CMP mission is to get new shooters into ) MARKSMENSHIP.
Pellet guns can make for good practice at home.
Even as little as 20' can show your skills.
No need to rush into it.
Find a few clubs with in your area and find out who runs events then talk to them. They usually can hook you up with what you need for a trial run.

Thank you, I will check out a few clubs in my area. I didn't think of a pellet gun for practice. I didn't think I could shoot in my backyard.

Thank you, I will check out a few clubs in my area. I didn't think of a pellet gun for practice. I didn't think I could shoot in my backyard.

Well you might have a crybaby neighbor that would call the local PD if they saw you in the back yard with anything resembling a gun, but there’s no state law saying you can’t discharge a B.B. gun/ pellet rifle on your own property. I’ve never heard of town ordnances against such a thing but who knows. It is MA after all.

Have fun learning what kind of shooting you enjoy most! I do all kinds of competitions but mainly spend my time with pistol stuff, such as IDPA, and steel plate challenge/ Walls of steel. So much fun, and you end up making some good friends.

As noted as long as there is no town ordnance and your safe. Only pesky neighbors can be a problem.
A good back stop and safety is key. BBs bounce more than lead so stick with pellets.
Even something as simple as a daisy red Ryder and 15' in your basement is fun and good practice. The instructions that come with daisy rifles is basic MARKSMENSHIP at it simplest form.
You don't need a powerful load pellet gun either.
If where not for air rifles I would get very little practice .

To get my son going inset up a pellet gun in my basement. Few things to do for safety if you want to explore this:

I used 2 wool army blankets as a backstop folded in half so it was 4 layers of wool.

Only use lead pellets not the copper bbs (those bounce all over and penetrate backstops)

Shoot paper targets only no cans and such to prevent ricochets

EYEPRO IS A MUST. we never had a bounce back or ricochet but safety is key.

I used a pump up cheap pellet gun I got at Walmart for 40 bucks. Keep it low velocity and only pump it up to the minimum don't max it out.

All the lead pellets I ever shot were stopped by the 2nd or 3rd layer of wool.

I used the basement setup like this to teach my son gun safety.....and marksmanship. Treated it just like a regular rifle with him.....cleared it and "racked" it before going to check targets the whole 9 yards. We had fun and he learned alot. He was 9 years old when i started him on the pellet guns in the basement. He's now one of the safest handlers of fire arms I know.....and a damn good marksman.

I used the basement setup like this to teach my son gun safety.....and marksmanship. Treated it just like a regular rifle with him.....cleared it and "racked" it before going to check targets the whole 9 yards. We had fun and he learned alot. He was 9 years old when i started him on the pellet guns in the basement. He's now one of the safest handlers of fire arms I know.....and a damn good marksman.

Nice. My son is just under 6 months old so he has a while to go before I get him going on safety habits. ;)

Nashual Fish and game has an intro to service rifle on the 29th I believe. 50 bucks includes ammo and rifle.

Back
Top Bottom