• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confusing 1911A1 stamps!

ridleyman

NES Member
I just got this Remington Rand 1911A1, made in 1944 I believe, with more stamps than I can decipher. Please feel free to jump in if any of these look familiar.

It has HS on the barrel, for High Standard, I presume, as they made many 1911A1 barrels for Colt and such. There's the FJA (Frank J. Atwood) inspector stamp by the slide stop release and the P for proof on the slide and by mag release, but what are the 6, 3, and U (out of sight) all on the trigger guard? Thanks!

20170717_130535.jpg 20170717_130555.jpg 20170717_130602.jpg 20170717_130618.jpg

Last edited:
Pic 2 - FJA - Frank J. Atwood, Inspector for Remington Rand and Ithaca 1911A1s

Pic 4 - P - Firing proof mark. I know, it looks like an "F" but according to the book, it is supposed to be a "P". If you look closely the horizontal lines are very slightly curved like they would be on a properly stamped letter P.

added: Harrison's book does not show any reference to the "6, 3, U". You may want to try http://www.coltautos.com/, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

I personally try to avoid that webpage because I end up drooling uncontrollably. [wink]

Last edited:
The gun should have a Dulite (or "parkerized") finish, but it looks like it has been blued. I think it looks great regardless and I'm just hoping you didn't pay full, unaltered USGI 1911A1 price. Were you planning on safe queening it or shooting it?

All markings shown are correct far as I can tell.

Should also have a "P" on the top the slide ahead of the rear sight. Same size and style if the "P" near the mag release.

The gun should have a Dulite (or "parkerized") finish, but it looks like it has been blued. I think it looks great regardless and I'm just hoping you didn't pay full, unaltered USGI 1911A1 price. Were you planning on safe queening it or shooting it?

All markings shown are correct far as I can tell.

I paid a grand for it, and it's going to be more of a shooter. although it's refinished, and not worth that much as a collector piece, it's still cool and has lots of history, details of which I'll never know! most internals are original I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Should also have a "P" on the top the slide ahead of the rear sight. Same size and style if the "P" near the mag release.

it does

Back
Top Bottom